flag@whitehouse.gov

akhalteke

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you haven't done anything wrong then you have nothing to worry about.

Sound familiar?

So I take it you are all for this new policy because of the originator? I have nothing to hide, the gov. knows everything there is to know about me. Just wondered if there would be the outrage that there was when Bush was pulling this kinda shit. Guess I was right. :/

seems the white house wants to know about disinformation programs by those opposing health care overhaul. presumably to address the propaganda.

so, ummm, public information being accessed and collected by the gov, versus private information illegally collected by the gov.

nice conflation, alkaheleke.

"If the effort continues, the Texas Republican is asking the administration to detail to Congress and the public the protocols employed by the White House on what they are doing with the data. He further inquires if the administration intends to notify the citizens reported for “fishy” speech."

i hope obama plays their game and gives them exactly what they want (which would be presumably lotso info on pr campaigns backed by insurance co's.) it's not like it's gonna be friend to friend email that's being "reported" here, it's gonna be mass emailings funded by those wanting the system to stay the same.

only if this (seemingly) ridiculous republican effort gains traction, of course.

If you haven't done anything wrong then you have nothing to worry about.

Sound familiar?

So I take it you are all for this new policy because of the originator? I have nothing to hide, the gov. knows everything there is to know about me. Just wondered if there would be the outrage that there was when Bush was pulling this kinda shit. Guess I was right. :/

No, my quote was exactly the response given by conservatives to those who raised concerns when the Bush admin wanted to eavesdrop on American citizens and tap phones.

For the record I think it's completely legitimate, warranted in fact, to question what the Obama admin intends to do with the information it's requesting, but the context of the issue is a bit different in this case.

I admit I'm skeptical of the Obama health care proposals but I do want to see something pass that addresses the problems with the system. The Republicans clearly have nothing to offer on the issue, and they know they are in the minority both in government and in public opinion, so it has become clear that their one and only tactic is to obstruct the issue by any means possible, including the dissemination of false and misleading information and to disrupt any effort at discussion- not with "concerned questions" but by screaming and shouting people down at town hall meetings and using the media to fan the flames. I listened to a bit of the psychotic right wing talk radio last week before this all got rolling and they were playing over and over the audio tape of the first town hall meeting that had this issue, one in Missouri where a small group of people screamed insults and shouted down a US Representative and other citizens. The radio hosts: 1) played this repeatedly as both an "example of how angry the American people are" (pegging this small group of 10 or less as representative of the entire popular opinion) and 2) fervently encouraged listeners to go to these meetings and do the same thing, essentially, to prevent any sort of rational discussion and "send your congressman a message". The tape sounded like the stereotypical angry mob with pitchforks.

Since it's exceedingly obvious that right wing talk radio hosts like Limbaugh and Hannity control and dictate Republican party talking points and policy- since nobody with an R next to their name dares criticize them lest they be smeared the following day for three hours on the airwaves in front of 20 million gaped-jawed adoring fans- essentially this was a Republican party trick despite all the smokescreen being thrown about the last few days trying to pretend this is a "grassroots movement". And further, the same media demagogues are crucifying Obama for encouraging supporters to also attend rallies and counter the conservative groups under the guise that the government has no business trying to rally support for it's policy proposals.

Again, I'm not convinced that Obama's health care proposals are realistic but the one thing I'm sure about is that the Republicans are using totally disingenuous tactics to prevent anything from happening at all. Today I heard that Obama intends to "euthanize the elderly", "exterminate the mentally ill", and "encourage or require pregnant women to have abortions". And you wonder why people are so confused?

So in the end, the whole discussion is now fucked. There was actual pushing and shoving at several meetings today and I will not be the least bit surprised if things start to turn violent. Nor will I be surprised when Limbaugh and the other radio douchebags from whom an alarming number of folks consider "news sources" attempt to blame the entire thing upon Obama and democrats.

I think the only chance conservative values have of being fairly represented in this country will involve an utter marginalization of the psycho media arm of your party that has hijacked your movement. Unless of course you feel that raving nutjob Glenn Beck speaks for you, in which case maybe you should consider seeing a shrink.

"After he faced heckling during a heated discussion about health care at a forum on Thursday, Mr. Kagen was confronted by a vocal opponent named Heather Blish, who identified herself as “just a mom from a few blocks away” and “not affiliated with any political party.”

When interviewed by the local NBC affiliate, Ms. Blish insisted she was not a member of the Republican Party. But her page on the networking Web site Linked In said she was the vice chairwoman of the Republican Party of Kewaunee County until last year and worked on the campaign of John Gard, a Republican who ran unsuccessfully against Mr. Kagen last year."