WTB FF hooded jacket

superB

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 5 months later...

BUMP - ok i didnt act on that last sick ass deal. im very sorry, promise. i now live in boston and need something dear god! please what is the best down parka deal out there? i want a blend of technical suitability, everydayness, cheapness.

jon

Be glad you didn't

Eddie Bauer XV...$269 retail....best buy *anywhere* on a useable down jacket with intergal hood. I love mine.

From this thread:

http://cascadeclimbers.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/930932/1

"I am a belay/bivy jacket fanatic and am really picky about what I use. The XV is the first down jacket I have seen in years that was actually designed as a bivy, really, realy cold weather climbing jacket. Retail is $269. Compare it directly to the FF Front Point @ $429, Wild Things @ $295 ($170 sale) and Arct. Dually @ 499, Norrøna Lyngen $378 when you can find them and the new lwt DAS @ $300. I made those comparisons in person today except for the Norrøna Lyngen. Mammut has the Stratus for $$219 which good lwt and the Ambler for a thicker jacket @ $300. and another best buy in down. I bought my last Swiss, Egge Delux for $150 in the '80s...and the XV is a better jacket imo.

AND that is saying a LOT! In short...GOOD SHIT here for hard, really cold, alpine. Pick and choose though...some of the stuff is below par to other manufactures and price point I think; some way, way above.

"Feathered Friends makes GREAT gear. We own a bunch of it and have for years. But IMO the EB XV stands inspection side by side to the FF Front Point parka and comes out equal if not the better of the two for actual climbing. Did just that last night. Even at the same price? I'd take the XV. But they aren't the same price, FF is $429 and the EB $269. I've looked at a number of really nice belay/Bivy style jackets over the last few days and few are as good. Only the Norrøna Lyngen ($378.,) looks to be as technical a piece as the XV. But I have not laid my hands on one to make a direct comparison. The Mammut hooded Ambler is another comparable down bivy/belay jacket. ($300)"

I now have laid hands on all the jackets mentioned above and the Eddie Bauer XV is IMO the winner at ANY price just by quality, fit and down alone. YMMV obviously.