Ropeup 2009!

olyclimber

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jake,

The guy you spoke with is a fair individual and should be a good guy to deal with.

Also, the group sites are really the only spots I have found close to town and climbing that will accomidate that many folks. I know of someone with a farm but it is 10 miles out of town and then you are dealing with porta potties, etc.

I would be happy to chat with the campground host prior to the event if needed. Not sure if I this would help in any way but the offer is out there.

Teresa

Teresa,

I should be meeting the FS guy and the campground host on Friday afternoon to talk right at the start of our event. You are definitely welcome to join me if you would like...or feel free to talk to him before if you want! I think any positive attention we put towards this would be great.

Matt...I think it would be nice if there was a space events could be had like the one you mention. The deal is they need to be higher capacity than the existing groupsites. The largest capacity the lower Icicle sites is the one we have now...Bridge Creek...and it is only 100 people/50 cars. That should be fine for Ropeup this year...but another climbing event WAY exceeded that and unfortunately left a bit of bad blood with the host and FS. I'm betting if such a space was procured, we would need to secure rental portapotties to make it happen.

Sol and friends are showing Friday night. They have climbed a ton of new stuff, so show up and check that out. We'll start that one later in the evening to give people a chance to show up.

On Saturday night we're showing pictures from the Enchantments/Stuart Range. MountainMatt is showing pictures of that new route (The Scoop!) on Balanced Rock. Other people will be showing pictures of the area too.

PM me if you have some great pics of climbing in that area, I'll add you to the list!

Anybody want to do a trail run on Sunday or perhaps just hike up and tag Little Anapurna?

I don't want to do any running, but am interested in Little Anapurna.

Ivan, are you going this year?

reckon - haven't cleared it w/ The Man yet, but seems propitious - gotta sort out an appropriate stupid route to do - probably will rope some poor pdx fool to roadtrip w/ - you gonna show ken?

Maybe we can share a tent. Try pitching it IN the shitter, this time.

I'm bringing my nephew from Japan. It's a corruption thing.

Edited by tvashtarkatena

RE: the future of ropeup! This will be in a separate discussion, but yes...I'm thinking it would be nice to have it at WAPass too along with Smith. Was thinking of possibly having a vote for location each year. But that is getting ahead of things. This is the event in the woods each year for CC.com, to celebrate the year in climbing.

I'd also like to escape the logjam of events. John Frieh's PDX Icefest has conflicted with our event a couple times now, and there is the Smith Rock thingy this weekend. Having choice is great, but I'd like everyone to be able to attend all these events if they're into that sort of thing!

We have other ideas too..but for now Ropeup is at Bridge Creek, so lets put this one in the books first!

We also should be having another event in the near future: The Return of the Sausage: CC.com Sausagefest Strikes Back

Sol and friends are showing Friday night. They have climbed a ton of new stuff, so show up and check that out. We'll start that one later in the evening to give people a chance to show up.

On Saturday night we're showing pictures from the Enchantments/Stuart Range. MountainMatt is showing pictures of that new route (The Scoop!) on Balanced Rock. Other people will be showing pictures of the area too.

PM me if you have some great pics of climbing in that area, I'll add you to the list!

Telemarker (John) will be showing a few pics on Saturday night.

FYI... For those who have friends who will be at this event and that you would like to have trained...or if you yourself are a beginner and would like some free training this weekend...

The American Alpine Institute is running an American Mountain Guides Association Single Pitch Instructor Exam this weekend at Leavenworth. We are currently seeking individuals who would like to play the role of student for the exam candidates on Sunday, September 27th. Primarily we are interested in climbers who haven't spent a great deal of time outdoors. The exam candidates will provide a day's worth of climbing instruction to those who are interested under the supervision of an AMGA Certified Rock Guide for free.

The American Mountain Guides Association (AMGA) Single Pitch Instructor Course and exam is the first in the AMGA sequence of climbing instructor and guide training programs.

The SPI course was designed to help capable recreational climbers transition into capable and effective climbing instructors. The course focuses on the technical skills required by an instructor as they are applied in all forms of single pitch climbing instruction. In addition to this, the course addresses the essential educational and environmental tenets required to teach climbing. Those seeking certification may go on to take a two day field examination following the course. Certified Single Pitch Instructors are expected to demonstrate the technical and educational proficiencies necessary to instruct a variety of single pitch rock climbing skills in a safe and effective manner to both groups and individuals

To read more about the AMGA Single Pitch Instructor course and exam, please click on the following link:

http://www.aai.cc/ProgramDetail/spi/

If you would like to participate in this guide assessment as a mock student and to obtain some free training, please call me at:

360-671-1505

Thanks,

Jason Martin

we'll be have be having some of this stuff:

http://www.terminalgravitybrewing.com/3.html

Thanks to Steve at TGB for yet another donation! FYI they just got Seattle distribution, so if you ever need some of the good stuff, the place is in Kent. I also have found that the newly opened QFC by my house carries a few flavors.

We still need people to bring firewood!

Can anyone in Leavenworth do the coffee in the morning deal again?

Looks like we won't need any tarps this year!

i can bring some firewood and our coffee maker.

i'll proabaly start my show around 10pm on friday night, ill be showing some pics from the following climbs: dissapearing floor route on mt hardy, navigator wall on sleese, east face of main gunsight, megeladon on goode, and some recent stuart range freeclimbing action. bring some produce to throw at me.

we'll be out bouldering on friday evening, pm me if you want to hook up for some pebble pinching.

Looking forward to it Sol!

Friday: Sunny, with a high near 82.

Friday Night: Clear, with a low around 49.

Saturday: Sunny, with a high near 79.

Saturday Night: Clear, with a low around 49.

Sunday: Sunny, with a high near 79.

Sunday Night: Mostly clear, with a low around 46.