North Cascades Highway 20 temporarily closed

Dan_Miller

Just in (Thurs., 07/30/09) from WSDOT:

SR 20 North Cascades Highway closed due to mudslide

A mudslide west of Rainy Pass has closed SR 20 in both directions at the east- and west-side closure gates until Thursday afternoon, July 30. Crews expect to reopen the highway about 4 p.m. They have about 300 yards of mud and debris in a 10-foot-deep swath across the highway to remove, and need to ensure the slope is stable before they will reopen the road.

The gates are closed on the west side just east of Diablo (milepost 134) and 14 miles west Mazama (milepost 171) on the east side. The gates were manned overnight to make sure anyone camping or hiking in between the gates could get out.

The slide was reported about 4 p.m. Wednesday, July 29, and responding crews began bringing in equipment and working last night. They stopped at dusk because it was too dangerous to work in the area in the dark. Crews were back early this morning. How quickly they can safely remove the debris and ensure that the slope is stabilized will determine when the highway reopens.

Another e-mail update will be sent when the pass reopens. You can also check the North Cascades Web page for more information.

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

WSDOT update:

Hi all,

The crew got the mess cleaned up west of Rainy Pass and opened the gates at 3:15 p.m. - just about 23 hours after the slide came down. We've got lots of pictures on flickr www.flickr.com/photos/wsdot/

Now all we've got to do is haul away dozens of dump truck loads of mud and rock that we pushed off onto the shoulders!

Enjoy!

Jeff Adamson

adamsoj@wsdot.wa.gov

• 3 months later...

From WSDOT 11/09/09:

Hi all,

Just a quick update. With the fronts coming through now and tonight (more snow has already started falling) and a forecast calling for 4 to 6 more inches, it's not safe for even our avalanche crew to go in today. (Of course with more snow falling, the avalanche threat will likely be different by tomorrow morning in any case). They're now planning to go up tomorrow (Tuesday) morning to see how many chutes may have filled and dumped, how many are still full, how stable the snow is and whether we can safely reopen it. If we can, bear in mind, it won't be just a matter of a couple hours. Clearing 2 to 3' or more of snow from 37 miles of highway takes some time...

I'll let you know when I find out what the avalanche crew finds up there - probably late morning or early afternoon, when they're done assessing and get back into radio range.

Jeff Adamson

adamsoj@wsdot.wa.gov

PS: WSDOT has closed Chinook and Cayuse for the winter.

From WSDOT 11/09/09:

Hi all,

Just a quick update. With the fronts coming through now and tonight (more snow has already started falling) and a forecast calling for 4 to 6 more inches, it's not safe for even our avalanche crew to go in today. (Of course with more snow falling, the avalanche threat will likely be different by tomorrow morning in any case). They're now planning to go up tomorrow (Tuesday) morning to see how many chutes may have filled and dumped, how many are still full, how stable the snow is and whether we can safely reopen it. If we can, bear in mind, it won't be just a matter of a couple hours. Clearing 2 to 3' or more of snow from 37 miles of highway takes some time...

I'll let you know when I find out what the avalanche crew finds up there - probably late morning or early afternoon, when they're done assessing and get back into radio range.

Jeff Adamson

adamsoj@wsdot.wa.gov

PS: WSDOT has closed Chinook and Cayuse for the winter.

I suspect that this means the temporary closure will last until April or May. Rumor has been rife in the Methow that the DOT will call it good for the season at the first opportunity because budgets have followed the economy into the shitter.

Yes, their mandate is "transportation not recreation" but this is most likely the 3rd preemptive closure of the pass in as many years.

Years past the DOT did their best to keep it open until it was clearly a hazard.

Don't like it? Well, here ya go. Let them know how you feel:

The Washington State Department of Transportation¹s mission is to keep people and business moving by operating and improving the state¹s transportation systems vital to our taxpayers and communities. We take this mission seriously. We would like to know your opinion about how we are doing. Please take a few minutes to complete this brief survey. Your feedback will help us learn more about how we can improve our performance.

Thanks!

http://www.surveymonkey.com/s.aspx?sm=Wb_2f_2b8KUThZx4qP0b5WGt3w_3d_3d

Edited by fredrogers

seriously. I'm not even close to the North Cascades and I enjoy reading these updates to get a better idea of road related issues there. It closes every winter one way or another why so pissy over a few weeks or so? Everyone knows everything in the "old days" was superior to today, time to get over it.

Thanks Dan / Jeff!

"If we can, bear in mind, it won't be just a matter of a couple hours. Clearing 2 to 3' or more of snow from 37 miles of highway takes some time..."

Except there isn't 2 to 3' feet on the roadway, especially gate to gate.

Yes, thank the DOT for letting you know what is going on, especially when they build up the drama. The updates are certainly more enjoyable that way, no matter where you live.

Also, bear in mind, this is too funny to get pissy about. Enjoy the joke and fire up the two-stroke!

Yep the highway is open to other means of transport just not cars or trucks. To say that this year is different is silly.

The whole reason the highway gets shut down any year (not just this year) is based on use of the road and state budget. Otherwise there might be a ski area at Big Sandy. You can still cross the Cascades in winter; it just takes longer to get to the Methow.

I really like the access to information on the highway conditions available here.

Thanks Dan :tup:

How about a thanks for posting up the info, "Fred"? Or would you rather just spray your opinions and "rumours" about what the DOT is up to?

THANKS DAN FOR LETTING US KNOW WHAT'S GOING ON!

Okay, I'll bite.

Here is the NWAC washington Pass telemetry data from Washington Pass, which shows as of this morning 22" of snow on the ground. I'm not very good at math, but I seem to recall that there are 12" in a foot.

MM/DD Hour Temp Temp RH RH Wind Wind Wind Equip Hour Total Total

PST F F % % Avg Max Dir Temp Prec. Prec. Snow

6630' 5500' 6630' 5500' 6630' 6630' 6630' 5500' 5500' 5500' 5500'

1 10 600 20 25 99 98 15 21 227 43 .01 .38 22

And to the point above, the 37 miles represents the closure from gate to gate and there is not 2-3' of snow for those entire 37 miles.

When you live in an area largely dependent on tourism, having a main arterial close early is not a good thing.

Hope that helps.

From WSDOT on Tuesday, 11/10/09:

Hi all,

Just got a call from the avalanche crew. The North Cascades will reopen at 2 p.m. They found conditions much better than expected. Between now and two, the maintenance crews are cleaning up what dumped from some of the avalanche chutes (that are now stable) and clearing about 9" of snow off the pavement.

Good News!

Jeff Adamson

adamsoj@wsdot.wa.gov

what a cry baby. the road is closed, you whine the road opens, you whine. Be thankful for what is there. Feck said it well that the only reason it closes is the cost to keep it open in the winter anyways. You'd prefer they just say that the allocated money has run out and it will be closed until April?

I understand being upset because it closes off a link to tourist income which is your livelihood. I'm sure WSDOT has a big agenda to try to screw people in the methow valley... :rolleyes:

If you don't like that the pass closes, move. The methow will prolly be better for it.

Would be an interesting study to see how much money in tourism taxes is generated by Mazama, winthrop and other nearby locations and see if it is enough to justify clearing the pass as all this time of year.

Don't get me wrong. I love the washington pass area and would like it to be open year round. But if we keep passing these tax limiting and reducing measures, how can we expect to pay for these things? Ohh Tim Eyman or however you spell it.

Edited by genepires

The pass closes? When did that start happening?

That's right, just be thankful.

You keep on believing what the DOT mouthpieces say.

It's the best way to get an idea about the road related issues on Highway 20.

And that can be enjoyable, no matter where you live.

Yep, It's all about the money, nothing about the misinformation.

Feel free to be duped.

If you don't like that the pass closes, move. The methow will prolly be better for it.

That's kind of scathing. I can appreciate Fred & feldspar's willingness to voice their displeasure with the DOT, and in support of the livelihood of their community, even though I would not benefit from more tax dollars being spent on that road.

You have to admit that the state of the economy, coupled with a relatively early road closure would pack quite a double-whammy to the Methow. Last time I was there, Winthrop was a ghost town, barely anyone out for dinner on a winter weekend. I don't know for sure, but I would imagine a lot of folks are hurting over there.

I can understand that those of us who don't live in such an amazing place may get a little bitter about people over there having any complaints though!

Oh No! Here we go again Fred (and Larry and Blue and Paul and Scott and everyone else in the Mazama, Winthrop, Twisp Corridor) You should of expected it. It is Friday the Thirteenth after all!

Today, Fri., 11/13/09 from WSDOT:

Hi all,

Bad news. Just got the word from Twisp - Liberty Bell #1 dumped snow six feet deep across the highway and the chutes next to it have become unstable, too. They're closing the gates as soon as they can get the traffic cleared. Too soon to say when/if it will reopen.

If you were planning a trip over the North Cascades this weekend - your trip just got longer...

Sorry,

Jeff Adamson

adamsoj@wsdot.wa.gov

509-669-8778 (24 hr. cell)

I didn't mean to be scathing in my post and for that I apologize. My point that I didn't get across is that this post is a great service to us, especially for the west side people. Keeping us informed of the pass conditions so we don't waste our time driving over to find it closed. NOt just this time of year, but we got reports from road closures in the summer time. Sure this info is available in other places, but it is offerd freely to us as a act of goodwill. And these guys bust his chops over things he has no control over. If they have issues, they should take it up with someone who can change it and not risk this resource. Of all the waste of data on this website, this info is valuable. Lets not lose it is all I am asking.

I would imagine the Methow is usually empty this time if year. I would also think that their economic model would allow for this cyclical environment. They may very well be hurting economically but people are hurting everywhere. Maybe the methow should have gotten some lobbyists to scoop up some of the stimulus money to pay for year round pass clearing.

Yes, the methow is a very amazing place. Maybe it stays so nice because the pass closes. This keeps development down and from becoming a fast food and outlet mall economy. Ya gotta be careful what you wish for.

Man, I wish I could get a job over there. :)

Edited by genepires