[TR] Mendenhall Towers - Various 7/28/2009

Blake

Trip: Mendenhall Towers - Various

Date: 7/28/2009

Trip Report:

IMG_5220.JPG

IMG_5091.JPG

I recently had a great time in Alaska, climbing in the Mendenhall towers.They are the most distant peaks above my luggage here, photo taken at Juneau Airport.

IMG_4968.JPG

This is a range of granite peaks accessed via Juneau, which has seen very little alpine rock climbing activity. I was with my friend Jason Nelson, and we helicoptered in to the towers on July 9th. We were in there for 8 or 9 days, and it took two days to get back down to civilization on foot. While there, we climbed three new routes and repeated a route as well. All of our routes were grade IV or IV+, but the one rock route on the northern side of the towers is a grade V. The climbing was phenomenal. I drew up some very bad topos while tent-bound, which might or might not help future parties if anyone is interested in heading out there.

P7110158.JPG

P7110187.JPG

P7100108.jpg

I've got some more pictures, video, and tons of writing here:

BlakeClimbs.Blogspot.com

The AAC helped finance part of this trip through the Mountain Fellowship Grant, and I am very thankful for the help.

IMG_5499.JPG

IMG_55162.JPG

IMG_5504.JPG

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic