Adams via Mazama Gl. 7/24-7/26

builder206

I climbed Adams via Mazama Glacier. Day 2 was the summit. Day 3 was scheduled to make the return leisurely & comfortable.

Sunrise is a beautiful camp. The Klickitat icefall and The Castle are spectacular. At 4AM, Venus was brilliant in the east and Jupiter was high & bright in the west. The Milky Way arched through the zenith and the Pleiades were high above Yakima’s lights.

After ascending past a couple large crevasse areas we jumped two crevasses then had to traverse left to find a snowbridge across a mammoth slot above the smaller ones. The snow ran out at about 9,400’, barely higher than the Lunch Counter. We made a rising traverse west across Suksdorf Ridge to 9,700' at the snowfield above the L.C. then a sharply rising traverse across the snow to pick up the trade route at 10,800’. Glissaded about 1,000’ from the false summit to start the traverse back.

Beautiful weather. Clouds moved in each afternoon but dropped no precip. We were briefly in a whiteout roping up to descend the glacier but it was no big deal.

There is a new women’s fashion trend. On the South Ridge I saw not 1, not 2, but 3 different women wearing a Mounties-style getup of a white baselayer under blue jean shorts.

FYI a good driving shortcut from Seattle is to take I-5 to 12, 12 to Randle, then FS 23 55 miles to Trout Lake. FS 23 is mostly paved but there is a section about 10 or 12 miles long that is unpaved but pretty good quality.

4_typical_volcanic_landscape_on_approach.jpg

On approach

17_Sunrise_Camp_-_not_all_tents_are_my_team_s.jpg

Sunrise Camp

5_lake_filling_vent_of_subsidiary_cinder_cone.jpg

Lake filling vent of subsidiary cinder cone

18_Mazama_Glacier_above_camp.jpg

Mazama Glacier above camp

14_Klickitat_Icefall.jpg

Klickitat Icefall

6_The_Castle.jpg

The Castle

3_families_of_mountain_goats.jpg

Mountain goat convention

I forgot to check the charge on my TWO camera batteries. Both conked out. The last photo I got was us roping up on summit day. Others in the party took photos but they are theirs so I can't post them. I topped out, honest!

Edited by builder206

• Replies 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Clarification: there are two large crevasse areas on the left-ish side of the glacier not far above camp. We launched to the right, stayed well right of the glacier's midline (but not all the way to the right) until we passed them, then moved left to the centerline of the glacier.

From there the ascent was straightforward until we got to the monster slot. That's where we moved well left to cross the big 'un on a snowbridge. It was above that where we had to jump the two smaller crevasses.

The word "jump" is misleading. They weren't standing broad jumps, more like one big vigorous step that you wanted to stick hard. No big thing.