Lightweight Alpine Pack

Jim

Sold my cilogear pack and I'm looking for a decent pack for trips of 3-7 days, often a mix of alpine rock, mountaineering, a ski trip, or just backpacking. So far either the Black Diamond Quantum (55 or 65L) or the 60L Montbell Alpine are at the top of the list. Didn't like the Golight ones, they don't seem up to longer technical trips (from what I've seen friends struggle with).

Suggestions? What do you like and what capacity do you use? Always appreciate advice from those getting out.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like my Osprey Exposure but my selection of viable packs is a lot narrower than most. (Due to my [lack of] size.) Osprey doesn't make this particular pack anymore, but you can still buy them from a bunch of places online. (I'm not sure what Osprey's comparable replacement is for it in their new line-up.)

I currently own a BD Quantum 55, and have used it for everything you list (except 7 days, though I think I could manage to carry enough for a week in the summer). In general I have been very pleased, but after 15 months of use some durability problems have arisen: excessive wear at the hipbelt attachment, and the VX21 fabric, which is seemingly bomber, has worn through to the middle reinforcing Dacron grid layer in key wear zones (bottom of pack, sides, front). It seems as though the face fabric is actually not that abrasion resistant, and the stiff Dacron grid behind it creates a mesh of wear points.

Cold Cold World packs come highly recommended by a handful of people on this site. As wdietsch suggests, the Chaos model looks like it would fit the bill well. This looks like an attractive option to me because it's lighter than the BD Quantum, the fabrics are proven to be very durable in the field, and custom add/subtract features are available because they will most likely not sew the pack until you order one.

Sold my cilogear pack

Why?

I reviewed the first line model on another thread. It just seemed to lack some needed components and was too complicated to adjust things, especially with gloves on and at night. Apparantly they have made improvements but in speaking to some other folks at ProMountain and Swallows Nest, they ain't there yet.

While I appreciate the Cold Water pack reference, I'm not buying another pack without trying it on first.

Heard good things about these - but cost $$$$! Plus, can't fiddle with it or try it on before buying.

Yes they are $$$$ but they are the best packs anywhere period...

Sure you can try it on before buying, he will mail a demo to try on, it is all here http://www.mchalepacks.com/ordering/index.htm In the end it will fit your perfectly simply because it is made for you.

I live locally, so I was able to drive up to his shop and have mine fitted. He is an expert and you will not be left unsatisfied with the product you get.

Regarding fiddling with the pack, I knew what I wanted so there was no need.... Look at the stuff on his site and pick the features you want.

Over the last year I have had CCW make 4 different totally custom packs for me.  Timely delivery, no problem with the custom features I wanted and a better than expected price every time.

http://coldcoldworldpacks.com/intro.htm

Randy @ CCW also offers a 100% satisfaction guarantee and no question refund policy.....Marmot had a few in stock last I checked. 

Mine aren't big enough for what you want but you are welcome to look at any of them.

I like my Osprey Exposure but my selection of viable packs is a lot narrower than most. (Due to my [lack of] size.) Osprey doesn't make this particular pack anymore, but you can still buy them from a bunch of places online. (I'm not sure what Osprey's comparable replacement is for it in their new line-up.)

i like my exposure 50 as well. the only gripe is that the frame comes up off the shoulders a bit making a pain with a helmet. they replaced it with their Varient Series but i much prefer the exposures!

Jim - I dig the BD Quantums but the M/L frame is still too short for me or I would be rocking one. Even though it is discontinued if you can find an Exposure 66 i think it'd be worth looking at. they haul a load like nobody's biz, technically inclined and are quite light, inexpensive packs.

Another Osprey pack you might check out is the Aether. I've got the Aether 60, which works well for me for multiday climbing trips. It's pretty light, very comfortable with a 40 pound plus load, and climbs reasonably well. Lots of features I like. If you need something bigger, it comes in a 70 and even bigger volumes. It may not be as "technical" as the CCW, BD, Wild Things, etc packs, but a good all around multiday pack. Good luck with your quest.

I think CCW makes a nice pack, but their standard sizes don't fit me. (I'm 6'3") FF and Marmot usually stock them if you think they might be the answer.

Anyway I'll agree with other posters about BD packs. They're fairly light, won't break the bank but are not built to last. I have a few and they take some punishment, but do have a shorter shelf life. But I'm not complaining as they cost me around $100 each. I use a slightly older BD 50L Predator for up to 3 days. I don't really go out climbing for longer so can't help you with larger size. It fits me well and climbs and skis good too. For day climbs I usually use a smaller 40L pack. And for BC ski trips it is an old NorthFace.(37L) Straight up backpacking over 3+ days I have an Arc'teryx Bora 65. Super comfy, but weighs twice the 50L BD pack.

No personal experience, but I know some people who have the Wild Things Andinista and rave about it.

Check out MEC.ca. They have a number of Dyneema ripstop alpine packs that are nice and simple. Unfortunately most of them have side zippers, which I don't like. A comparable pack in the US is going to be about twice as much.

http://www.mec.ca/Products/product_detail.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=845524442617749&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374302699867&bmUID=1248368305963

Check out MEC.ca. They have a number of Dyneema ripstop alpine packs that are nice and simple. Unfortunately most of them have side zippers, which I don't like. A comparable pack in the US is going to be about twice as much.

http://www.mec.ca/Products/product_detail.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=845524442617749&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374302699867&bmUID=1248368305963

how's the quality on their packs?

I've had an MEC Braggadocio or...no....think it's a "Brio" pack for a number of years, and no real complaints. Very cheap price and entirely reasonable quality for a very simple pack.

I have the larger... but do wish I'd purchased smaller size...Choices are 45 and 55 liters I think.....