Grades

johndavidjr

This is guaranteed to irritate and create flames. So in a sense, am merely a troll asking for abuse but...

In the Shawangunks, I've climbed a fair number of .7s and a few .8s. Irritatingly hard stuff. (Actually my routine leads have been in pitiful .3-.4 range, which one can do on a craig but maybe not wisely in mountains.)

Guidebooks call N.ridge Stuart (easy version) a .7 and W. ridge Forbidden a .4, both of which I've followed and would rate them maybe .3 and .0 by Gunks standards.

I dimly remember "Beckey Route" on LB is maybe a .4 by Gunks rating, and is officially a .6.

Reasonably well-accomplished and athletic climbers find these distinctions trivial, yet they are made.

My guess is ratings in Washington guidebooks are wildly imprecise, often, compared with intensively climbed Gunks. Maybe this is most true at the low end of difficulty, but I certainly wouldn't know.

Whole class 2-4 thing (unknown in Gunks) seems hopelessly sandbagged and nearly meaningless. (Some ambitious and well-meaning hikers might be killed by misreading a "class two" WA guidebook rating.) I have zero confidence that I understand the published class 5 ratings.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well intentioned but over-discussed.

Ratings vary depending on the area and the FA party. Any OG climbing area will have sandbagged ratings because of the ol' 5.9 limit.

One thing is for sure... keep climbing at the Gunks and then head somewhere with splitter crack climbing and you will find yourself getting spanked. Gunks is good practice for face and roofs... and some running out.

Bottom line, just get out there, experience different venues, get to know the local grading, and learn to move well on as much different terrain as possible. Forget grades... learn to look at a line and sense if it goes or not - for you.

It is not just Washington that has rating all over the place. Hell if you head up north in NY and go to the Dacks the ratings seem way softer than the Gunks. Even at any crag there are easy climb 5.11's and sandbagged 8's. It all depends on who sent the line, when it was sent and the type of climbing. Rock climbing rating are subjective at best.

It just part of the game.

Yeah I fully understand difference between alpine vs. cragging. I really do. "Class 2-4" is wildly sandbagged in my view, in NW guidebooks, probably killing many a poor little boy scout foolish enough to take generic definitions at face value.

But when for example somebody rates a new route in NCascades 5.9, should I interpret this as 5.4?

But when for example somebody rates a new route in NCascades 5.9, should I interpret this as 5.4?
It really depends on the route and the FAer. Some are prone to inflation whereas others are prone to sandbagging. If an alpine route were rated at 5.9, I would be prepared for 5.5-5.10b climbing.

Yeah I fully understand difference between alpine vs. cragging. I really do. "Class 2-4" is wildly sandbagged in my view, in NW guidebooks, probably killing many a poor little boy scout foolish enough to take generic definitions at face value.

Yes. Do that.

This is guaranteed to irritate and create flames. So in a sense, am merely a troll asking for abuse but...

You cannot start the OP with this sentence and then seriously complain about the responses given, can you?

But there are some good responses here - the Gunks are notoriously graded stiff (some say sandbag). Also, someone mentioned that softer grades can also be found closer to the Gunks than the Cascades (in the 'Daks). And still a third commenter pointed out that comparing the Gunks to the whole Cascades is a little misleading - I agree and think your comparison should be limited to Index or Icicle Creek.

Finally since you said in your last post:

And having only climbed a couple of dozen routes in Washington, will not really know answer to question.

Its hard to really make an accurate comparison without a little more experience than that - especially if your route experience in the Cascades has been the high alpine. Come on back sometime and try to get a bit more cragging in, then tell us what you think.

Cheers

Chris

Yeah it's all alpine.

Your answer is fair and isolates a few other reasonable responses from the flames and whatever else one might call drivel and nonesense........

But question was what YOU think, since what I think isn't relevant...

Sounds like you're saying trim the grades a bit, at least relative to Gunks.......BUT I DON'T KNOW......

Actually, since the closest I've been to the Gunks is LaGuardia in transit, I really doubt that what I think is very relevant...

And I think that's the case with most cc.com members - does anyone have experience at the Gunks?

Based on reputation alone, I would expect a 5.8 at the Gunks to be a bit harder than a 5.8 at Index. Does that work for you?