Rainier Climb July 26th-29th

august

Anyone willing to climb?

Conditions for going: I need everyone to be responsible, that means we have to have atleast 3 people roped up for a team. Some experience on everyone's part would be great.

What to bring:

-Ice Axe

-Crampons

-Helmet

-Good Boots (perferably Mountaineering)

-Seat Harness (a.k.a Harness)

-Chest Harness (Could be tubular webbing, but make sure it fits good)

-Good Jacket (Should be water proof, and be warm, and hopefully light)

-One to Two layers of Pants (Depending on How good they are and how warm you want to be)

-Wool Socks (Bring Doubles just in case)

-Gloves

-Sunscreen)

-Glasses or glacier goggles

-Perlon (for foot prussiks)

-Tubular Webbing

-ATC or something similar

-T shirt, Long Sleeve shirt

-Tent (I don't have a 4-season, if someone does it'd be great, we can also rent.)

-Sleeping Pad (Believe me, it keeps you warmer on snow)

-Lots of water, ideally with gatorade or some similar powder.

-Food (Plenty)

-Compass

-4 carabiners and 4 locking caribiners

-First aid

-1 snow picket, ideally.

Experience you Should have:

-Self Arrest

-Z haul, crevasse rescue

-Snow Anchors, deadman, etc.

-Glacier/snow travel

-Crampon Use

I recommend reading "The Mountaineers Freedom of the Hills 7th Edition" and practicing the knots for glacier travel and crevasse rescue.

I have only one picket as of now, as well as a jetboil, a climbing rope, and personal gear.

Hope to see you up there!

August

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

LOL not to sound rude, but I noticed how you pretty much copied my list, almost word for word, in the same order. But that's ok, I'm glad someone liked my list. :grin: Man, if only it were during the weekend you could be with my group. I wish the best of luck and hope you find some partners.

Anyone willing to climb?

Conditions for going: I need everyone to be responsible, that means we have to have atleast 3 people roped up for a team. Some experience on everyone's part would be great.

What to bring:

-Ice Axe

-Crampons

-Helmet

-Good Boots (perferably Mountaineering)

-Seat Harness (a.k.a Harness)

-Chest Harness (Could be tubular webbing, but make sure it fits good)

-Good Jacket (Should be water proof, and be warm, and hopefully light)

-One to Two layers of Pants (Depending on How good they are and how warm you want to be)

-Wool Socks (Bring Doubles just in case)

-Gloves

-Sunscreen)

-Glasses or glacier goggles

-Perlon (for foot prussiks)

-Tubular Webbing

-ATC or something similar

-T shirt, Long Sleeve shirt

-Tent (I don't have a 4-season, if someone does it'd be great, we can also rent.)

-Sleeping Pad (Believe me, it keeps you warmer on snow)

-Lots of water, ideally with gatorade or some similar powder.

-Food (Plenty)

-Compass

-4 carabiners and 4 locking caribiners

-First aid

-1 snow picket, ideally.

Experience you Should have:

-Self Arrest

-Z haul, crevasse rescue

-Snow Anchors, deadman, etc.

-Glacier/snow travel

-Crampon Use

I recommend reading "The Mountaineers Freedom of the Hills 7th Edition" and practicing the knots for glacier travel and crevasse rescue.

I have only one picket as of now, as well as a jetboil, a climbing rope, and personal gear.

Hope to see you up there!

August

12 locking biners and 12 non-lockers per team of 3? That's some hauling system you must be planning for. ;-)

Probably not neccesary, but I usually bring 4 of each for myself. 2 lockers on the harness, one on the snow picket, a non locker on the chest harness plus some spares of each. IF you use the hauling system at least 1/3 of your gear is hanging in the ice, so it's only 8 and 8.

This stuff should be obvious common knowledge around here, but it seems he had a bad experience.

Josh, I hate to be a jerk about this, but the TR was a bit of a black mark. Much as I'd like to have your camera skills around, I don't think this trip is for us. That said, it looks as though this trip isn't hugely popular with people anyway. I did like your gear list.

Josh, I have a feeling you don't quite understand why people are getting on your case. It is not about your physical speed, it is about the choices that you have made in the past. I would encourage you to do your homework on the mountains. Know the ins and outs of them; and while you are doing that get to know the ins and outs of yourself, both mentally and physically.

I feel that if you rounded out your passion and enthusiasm, you could be a very good climber. Just like you, I love the mountains and all of the freedoms associated with them, but everything is connected together. I spend time making sure I am physically fit, knowing the route, knowing how to drive there, knowing the weather, and I spend time keeping up with my technical skills, both from readings and from teaching and taking classes. I make sure that I am an asset to my partners, because your life is held by them, and you hold theirs.

The more effort you put into the time not spent in the mountains, the more enjoyable your time will be in the mountains, because you will be able to do what you want.

Josh, I have a feeling you don't quite understand why people are getting on your case. It is not about your physical speed, it is about the choices that you have made in the past. I would encourage you to do your homework on the mountains. Know the ins and outs of them; and while you are doing that get to know the ins and outs of yourself, both mentally and physically.

I feel that if you rounded out your passion and enthusiasm, you could be a very good climber. Just like you, I love the mountains and all of the freedoms associated with them, but everything is connected together. I spend time making sure I am physically fit, knowing the route, knowing how to drive there, knowing the weather, and I spend time keeping up with my technical skills, both from readings and from teaching and taking classes. I make sure that I am an asset to my partners, because your life is held by them, and you hold theirs.

The more effort you put into the time not spent in the mountains, the more enjoyable your time will be in the mountains, because you will be able to do what you want.

Well first off, I'm good with navigation. Second, I know were Paridise is... I mean how would I have created a page of information on it? Physically, I am in shape I would say, I'm telling ya, on the last trip I was pacing myself, but did not realize that it would make me look so bad to make a good choice, sometimes I guess appearance is important... or atleast I think that's what Mark told me. The weather... I know when to call it quits with weather, I also looked at the weather forcast before hand which is why we did not go on the weekend... now I could though use some work on my technical skills. So I could read and practice knots, as for staying in shape I been running almost every night which not just a sorta hard, but to the point were I am laying down for a long time because It's exausting. I'm hard core in spirit, so I think If I just worked on my technical skills, I think I would be set! As for when I said faster, I mean get faster at getting to base Camp!

Well first off, I'm good with navigation. Second, I know were Paridise is... I mean how would I have created a page of information on it? Physically, I am in shape I would say, I'm telling ya, on the last trip I was pacing myself, but did not realize that it would make me look so bad to make a good choice, sometimes I guess appearance is important... or atleast I think that's what Mark told me. The weather... I know when to call it quits with weather, I also looked at the weather forcast before hand which is why we did not go on the weekend... now I could though use some work on my technical skills. So I could read and practice knots, as for staying in shape I been running almost every night which not just a sorta hard, but to the point were I am laying down for a long time because It's exausting. I'm hard core in spirit, so I think If I just worked on my technical skills, I think I would be set! As for when I said faster, I mean get faster at getting to base Camp!

Take two doses of humility and call me in the morning.

Countering every piece of constructive criticism that you see on here makes you look like an ass.

Take two doses of humility and call me in the morning.

Countering every piece of constructive criticism that you see on here makes you look like an ass.

Humility? For what? As for countering... well if I'm strong, and people here say I'm not,why no try to tell what the facts acually are. I guess I'm not very good with reputation.

Josh, your physical fitness and technical skills are only a small part of what we're talking about.

We're talking about your attitude. How you treat a fellow person, on the climb, and after the climb. Whether you are responsible and honest. Whether you can be trusted with another's life. Your previous TRs do not paint a pretty picture.

JOSH- You are not ready for Rainier! Stop trying to weasel your way onto a climb!

You don't get it do you- people are TRYING to help you. And you won't let them! All you do is, when people try to give you helpful advice, you tell them that they're wrong. That's why people get so mad at you sometimes. Cut the crap here.

Your response to Maine-iac had nothing to do with what he was telling you. He's trying to say, take it one step at a time. You're not doing that. Please. For the sake of yourself, your climbing partners, and anyone who cares about you. Learn some humility, stop pretending you're a big strong climber with a lot of experience, and stick to stuff you can do SAFELY.

If you have to question whether you are ready or not, think about what would happen if something went wrong. And don't take the easy way out and imagine yourself dead. Imagine you having to carry the dead body of your climbing partner down and show it to their loved ones, knowing you were responsible for their death. If you are not able to confront that horror, do not take the risk of climbing above your level.

Learn your skills this year, practice them constantly, and by next summer, you might be ready for some easy glacier/rock routes, maybe even Rainier.

-Mark

The war's not over until you fire the gun on yourself.

Your ego and not letting people help you has turned the safety off. You can dump the ego, be happy for what you got, and win. Or you could keep on pretending to be ready for things you are not and avoiding people's advice, and screw yourself over.

Your choice.

-Mark