Looking for a light weight one person tent.

Pilchuck71

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Unless you plan on doing only solo trips, I would suggest an ultralight 2 person tent. This gives you more room and options for little more weight. My BD Firstlight with poles and stakes weighs just over 3 pounds. I find it a lot more comfortable than my bivy sack (2 pounds and not much smaller in the pack) I have been roasted in hot conditions because of lack of ventilation in a bivy sack and changing clothes is an adventure in stormy weather. There are probably nice single person tents out there, but consider how much more room (for another person or gear?) you would have for a little more weight. Good luck in your decision.IMG_0894.JPG

What's the intended use? How much of a gram weenie are you? After all, one person's "light weight" is another persons way too heavy shelter (the Hubba is in this catagory - depends on who you're asking, and the intended purpose, if 3 lbs is light or heavy for a shelter).

If you're hiking, the answer is probably one set of products. If you're up on a mountain somewhere with that potential for nasty weather, it's probably a different set of products.

If the intended use is hiking, check out the products from the following: Tarptent.com, gossamergear.com, sixmoondesigns.com All have a first rate reputation in the long distance hiker community.

Although I do not own one I've heard great stuff about the Hilleberg Akto...

http://estore.websitepros.com/1764795/-strse-64/Akto/Detail.bok

I do own a Hilleberg Soulo and love it. I decided on the Soulo because I'm 6'6" and it is one of the roomier one person tents out there, free standing, and bomber.

Both are on the expensive side but you get what you pay for.

Montbell Crescent 2 :tup:

Not free-standing, but you won't get free-standing under 3 lbs ...

Single pole. Packs small. Partial mesh to keep the f'ing bugs out ...

Under 3 lbs. :grin: Much, much under if you don't carry all of the extra stuff you don't really need (like the 9 tent stakes).

(PMS might have one you can set up and crawl inside if you want to check sizing, etc.)

My current set up is a old school REI cyclops and a 5x7 nylon tarp.

I have upgraded my bivy sack to a lighter REI minimalist and am using a tent footprint in place of the 5x7 nylon tarp, for additional shelter from precip.

In the winter I tend to use a Megamid and this works well for me.

I am comfortable staying in the 3# +/- range for a freestanding tent and am leaning this way for enhanced comfort and wind blown precip protection.

The tent set up is going to be for use in mountaineering where the available space for set up may be limited by the site. this is my main reason for leaning toward a one person and freestanding although for a little extra weight, having the space for gear and cooking, available by going to a two person set up, is worth consideration.

Edited by Pilchuck71

Hubba HP is 2lbs 9oz...freestanding double wall...redesigned and lighter than the full mesh Hubba!

The tent set up is going to be for use in mountaineering where the available space for set up may be limited by the site. this is my main reason for leaning toward a one person and freestanding although for a little extra weight, having the space for gear and cooking, available by going to a two person set up, is worth consideration.

the vestibule does offer enough room for storage and cooking...i really like the tent and its big bro

Hubba HP is 2lbs 9oz...freestanding double wall...redesigned and lighter than the full mesh Hubba!

Nice. Does the minimum weight on the Hubba HP include the second wall?

That Six Moons Lunar Duo looks like a great tent for hot nights!

Six Moons at $200-plus is a good example of why a $20 Wal-Mart tent is a good idea. They both provide roughly the same fairly minimal but often adequate protection.

The Wal-Mart tent is somewhat larger, and weighs more -- by about the equivalent of two pints of water or less, if you ditch the poles and steel stakes.

Shopping at a mountaineers' boutique is a lot more fun than at Wal-Mart, but it doesn't necessarily make you smarter.

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=8136423

Many of the "wise" 30 years ago said hiking in sneakers was foolish, and high-cost and heavy "wafflestompers" were a necessity.

Wore Keds on a 50-mile hike up a 13,000 hill in New Mexico in 1972. Worked good. My little cotton REI tent of the era wasn't up to current Wal-Mart standards, but was certainly expensive, and even, I thought, conferred a certain prestige.

I was told by a wealthy old man many years ago that "Only a rich man can afford to buy shit".

You can pay once for quality and a product that will last you many years or you can buy shit that you will end up buying over and over again.

The choice is yours, but I will buy the best I can afford and go for quality.

When I gave away my K-mart tent, (subsequently abandoned on a Costa Rican volcano) the textiles of the floor had worn away to something resembling bug netting. This took a fair amount of use over more than ten years, about a third of it directly on beach sand.

I'd be surprised if Nelson ever carries Nemo tents, but who knows? Wal-Mart won't..

Those tarp tents for more than $250 are perfectly good minimalist shelters for moderate weather, but another good reason to go to Wal-Mart and buy something similar for $20.

Cheap tents don't last?? Mine lasted until the floor completely wore out like a rag. A floor is a floor; it's just textiles. They don't use kevlar.

Could be, buy a $400 BD or Swedish tent or whatever... AND a Wal-Mart to save wear and tear when the groovy tent isn't required.

Floorless tents are great. My current mainstay, having been burned in floor department. But won't keep the bugs out like a Wal-Mart special.

I bought a Eureka Spitfire 1 person tent. Less than 3 lbs, easy to set up, fairly roomy for a 5'9" person and some gear, can sit and read in it no problem. less than $100. Have only used it twice, so I don't know how long the floor will last-but it's worked for me so far! Good Luck.

I've never laundered a tent. Our Jersey City mayor, though, was spared arrest.

Had a Eureka four-pole dome for long time. Floor indeed started to die of abrasion, but t'was mold actually killed the beast. More of a nasty weather tent; therefore less useful to me.

Tent floors are vulnerable. Floorless tent floors normally have lifetime guaranty.

The Spitfire is heavier, smaller, much more expensive than a Wal-Mart tent. I briefly owned a 1990s Mt Hardwear version of this, and used in multi-day downpour. Worked good, but I gave it away to the same guy who abandoned my mostly wrecked K-Mart puptent in Costa Rica.

BTW, here in Jersey, unlike Washington, it's kinda tough to get to a Wal-Mart. We don't let'em in so easy.....gotta pay...kinda like "zoning," y'know?

Also, people from Great State of Washington may encounter a tiny degree of negative prejudice in some circles here, I am very ashamed to say... while a minority of Jerseyites will experience minor frustration in much of Washington, due to the s-l-o-w.........pace of average inhabitants.....