Anyone Want to Climb Rainier next Weekend?

Josh Lewis

So does anyone want to Climb Mount Rainier the 25th through the 26th of July which is both Saturday and Sunday? Depending on what everyone wants, I could even start out on Friday or earlier.

People Coming:

-Joshua Lewis

I already have my permit, so anyone going who doesn't have one needs to get one, there 30$ which can be bought at the Paridise Ranger Station.

Conditions for going: I need everyone to be responsible, that means we have to have atleast 3 people roped up for a team. Also pace your self to Camp Muir, last time the climbers I went with went a bit fast going up to Camp Muir, and were tired out, I went a little slower and felt fine at the camp. I'm not saying go slow, but don't tire your self to Camp Muir, you got all day.

What to bring:

-Ice Axe

-Crampons

-Helmet

-Good Boots (perferably Mountaineering)

-Seat Harness (a.k.a Harness)

-Chesss Harness (Could be tubular webbing, but make sure it fits good)

-Good Jacket (Should be water proof, and be warm, and hopefully light)

-One to Two layers of Pants (Depending on How good they are and how warm you want to be)

-Wool Socks (Bring Doubles just in case)

-Gloves

-Sunscreen)

-Glasses or glacier goggles

-Perlon (for foot prussiks)

-Tubular Webbing

-ATC or something similar

-T shirt, Long Sleeve shirt

-Tent (You want it to be good, winds can be heavy at Camp Muir)

-Sleeping Pad (Believe me, it keeps you warmer on snow)

-Around a Gallon of water, although it really depends on how much you drink, so bring as much as you think you'll need

-Food (Plenty)

-Compass

-Carribeaners and locking carribeaners

Experience you Should have:

-Ice Axe Arrest Training

-Z Poly

-Snow Anchors

-Glacier/snow travell

-Crampon Use

I recommend reading "The Mountaineers Freedom of the Hills 7th Edition" and practicing the knots of glacier travelling and crevasse rescue.

As for maps, if you do not have one, let me know and I could get you one.

As for radio's, I have 6 if needed, although probably less would be brought.

John has both a stove, two pickets, and the rope.

You should be in good shape when attempting this, recommended that you train this week to make sure your in top shape. You can run, hike, bike and another methods you could train, but I don't recommend training past Wednseday because it's good to give your musciles time to recover before going.

Edited by Josh Lewis

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm assuming that since jmo only called off the trip *after* reading Josh's trip report on NWHikers, it is safe to assume that Josh was not honest with jmo regarding his (Josh's) level of experience, nor did Josh describe his recent attempts.

That's totally f*cking weak.

[quote=The Angry Hiker

]...or maybe you were driving everyone in the group nuts, so they ditched you at Camp Muir. Your nonstop yapping had everyone's nerves on edge, but even the subtle hints to put a sock in your festering cakehole weren't getting through. The frequent stops to fiddle around with your gear were certainly pissing them off. The crappy tent at Camp Muir probably sealed the deal. So instead of being honest and telling you that you're annoying as hell, and that they didn't want you to ruin their experience for them, they spared your feelings and told you it was your age & inexperience. But even then, there was hope. All you had to do was convince the leader that you were mature and responsible enough to continue with them to the summit. You probably could've earned some brownie points if you had been a man and said "Well if you aren't comfortable taking me, then by all mean's don't. This has been a great learning experience for me and I appreciate the opportunity to climb with you guys. Thanks for dragging me along this far, and good luck tomorrow!" Instead, you threw a big baby fit and wallowed in self-pity.

Hit the nail on the head it sounds like.

The most important thing I can offer is to just close your mouth and listen to the world around you. You will learn much.

[quote=The Angry Hiker

]...or maybe you were driving everyone in the group nuts, so they ditched you at Camp Muir. Your nonstop yapping had everyone's nerves on edge, but even the subtle hints to put a sock in your festering cakehole weren't getting through. The frequent stops to fiddle around with your gear were certainly pissing them off. The crappy tent at Camp Muir probably sealed the deal. So instead of being honest and telling you that you're annoying as hell, and that they didn't want you to ruin their experience for them, they spared your feelings and told you it was your age & inexperience. But even then, there was hope. All you had to do was convince the leader that you were mature and responsible enough to continue with them to the summit. You probably could've earned some brownie points if you had been a man and said "Well if you aren't comfortable taking me, then by all mean's don't. This has been a great learning experience for me and I appreciate the opportunity to climb with you guys. Thanks for dragging me along this far, and good luck tomorrow!" Instead, you threw a big baby fit and wallowed in self-pity.

Hmmm..... you know, some of this isn't even true.... you know that.... right? For example I did wish them good luck, also I wasn't really fiddling with my gear much, my food was on the out side, but time was precious. Good golly Miss Molly.

I'm assuming that since jmo only called off the trip *after* reading Josh's trip report on NWHikers, it is safe to assume that Josh was not honest with jmo regarding his (Josh's) level of experience, nor did Josh describe his recent attempts.

I wouldn't say that.... if you really want, I could spill out the PM's. As for describing my recent attempts, the guy who look me last week... he did not mention much about his recent attemps... so how is that weak on my part? If I wanted to, I could have not posted the whole dang trip report and it would have been all sweet this weekend. Mark told me not to post it, which I failed to listen to, but you know what buster, I like the truth, even if it's not sweet, thats why I posted the trip report. I did not expect for there be be such negative consequences for posting it. I didn't do that bad.... did I? Or atleast on the trip...

Josh, I have to give you kudos for having the balls to put yourself out there on this forum, or any other for that matter.

Listen to what people say that is constructive.

Ignore the people that are just knocking you for the sake of knocking you.

I will also jump on the bandwagon and offer my appreciation for your photography. Your work is good and as a photographer myself I encourage you to continue with that avenue of your expression.

I could spill out the PM's.

Please do :D TV is slow tonight.

I could have not posted the whole dang trip report and it would have been all sweet this weekend... I did not expect for there be be such negative consequences for posting it. I didn't do that bad.... did I? Or atleast on the trip...

There's the central problem, you are not listening to what people are telling you. You think that if nobody knew about what happened, everything would be cool. The true issue is that you will endanger the people around you by placing them into situations where they rely on you for safety, but you are unable to provide it! You didn't get that at SP and we ran you out, you didn't get that at NW and they ran you out. Third time is a charm.

Edited by OKCSonics

I wouldn't say that.... if you really want, I could spill out the PM's.

That won't help your case any.