New DMM Camalots !

billcoe

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From Vegastradguy's RC.com OR show report:

RC.com full article link

This bad boy first leaked about two weeks ago- check out the latest cam from DMM- the Dragon. So, I’ll answer two quick questions right now- YES, it is a double axle cam, and YES it is as sexy as it looks. The action is amazing on them- as smooth as or better than that other double axle cam, and the look… the hot forged process allows a three dimensional look to be forged into the lobe giving it a hell of an appeal.

Some answers for the folks in the thread about this cam- they’re going to be up to 10% lighter than a C4 in the bigger ranges, a little less than that in the smaller. The color coding you see above is exactly what you think it is- DMM picked the color coding to roughly coincide with BD’s, going with the theory that it’ll make it easier for most folks to grab a cam if they know that hand cracks are the yellow cam, regardless of manufacturer- which is something that I really like, especially since the MaxCam and Link Cam have also done this. Finally, I asked about the Duplex cable system used to connect the 5mm stem cable to the 3.2mm thumb loop cable, and Paul said that its more or less a hub connection just above the thumb loop (think like on a tent) that is swaged right there in three spots- very slick. Finally, look for these cams to price between $74 and $79 a piece and be available in February. Oh, and yes, I asked if they are planning on expanding the set to include smaller (and possibly larger cams) and the answer was a resounding YES. Woohoo!

Edited by hemp22

• 6 months later...
I don't know if anyone else is still interested in these...I just started thinking about rock climbing and remembered these. Anyway, DMM will have the production type at the ISPO tomorrow...released in March?? I've seen a couple shops accepting pre-orders...

link to full article

I was about to upgrade all my BD cams for the newest C4 Camalots till I heard about these. Still waiting anxiously. Hopefully I will have some cash for them by the time they arrive...

I was about to upgrade all my BD cams for the newest C4 Camalots till I heard about these. Still waiting anxiously. Hopefully I will have some cash for them by the time they arrive...

Gear whore! :grin:

DMM_Ben_hair.jpg

Someday, when I grow up, I'm gonna be a REAL GEAR-HO, like BILLCOE...

no you need to have 20+ ropes each in there own labeled rope bag for that to happen!!

Gear whore! :grin:

DMM_Ben_hair.jpg

Someday, when I grow up, I'm gonna be a REAL GEAR-HO, like BILLCOE...

no you need to have 20+ ropes each in there own labeled rope bag for that to happen!!

:blush:

rack2.jpg

• 7 months later...
I've read several folks say they change these out every few years or so. I've found that mine last about 3 years before they're so tattered that I start losing confidence in them. Seems like a nice cam but would you consider this a 'con'?

I was thinking that same thing when I first saw these. My friend's skinny slings are about 4 years old I think and we've been starting to worry about them. You don't want to buy these fancy expensive cams and have to pay to resling them every few years. I do like that you can extend them though. Seem worth the bulk because it means less draws.

I'm not that excited about cams with extendable slings on them. I used to own a rack of Trango cams that were set-up with double slings on them. I found that I never used the slings in "extended" mode. When I actually needed to put a runner on the cam, the extended sling was too short to make much of a difference and I would end up just putting a proper runner on it. The rest of the time I was too gripped to fiddle around with extending the sling and would just clip the rope in the "normal" way.

-Nate

I'm not that excited about cams with extendable slings on them. I used to own a rack of Trango cams that were set-up with double slings on them. I found that I never used the slings in "extended" mode. When I actually needed to put a runner on the cam, the extended sling was too short to make much of a difference and I would end up just putting a proper runner on it. The rest of the time I was too gripped to fiddle around with extending the sling and would just clip the rope in the "normal" way.

-Nate

agree

-Nate

agree

Gonna have to call you guys on that claim, unless you use slings too long to be called quickdraws, based on the picture, I don't see how much longer a draw is and how exactly is the normal way--having to reach for a draw, clip it to the cam sling and the regrab the rope to clip--so much easier? All one has to do is unclip a strand and clip the rope.

Dbl_Sling.jpg