New DMM Camalots !

billcoe

Tomorrow DMM will be publicly unveiling their new Cam which they are calling "The Dragon".

Designed around the twin axle Black Diamond design, the DMM engineers will be trying to achieve what should normally be mutually exclusive goals of both a lighter cam, and a smaller cam angle (stronger/grippier) of 13.75 percent. The cams will have the extendable Dyneema slings as well.

Dragons_DMM.jpg

http://www.dmmclimbing.com/news.asp?nid=216&ngroup=1

Pricing has not been announced.

Dragons_DMM_cams.jpg

Being assembled.

Edited for the speling police LOL: thanks Sean

Edited by billcoe

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think that BD might object slightly to your calling DMM's double axle units "Camalots". That is a trademark, I believe.

Satire is a protected class I believe, that was typed tongue in cheek....so nah nah nah ! :P Besides, isn't imitation really the most sincere form of flattery?

I try joke make to comparisons shorten. borat061030_2_560.jpg

Joke....NOT!? maybe

:wave:

Them's some sexy cams.

Not that I need any more gear, but those do look nice.

As usual w/ DMM gear, though, I'm sure they'll be pricey.

Anyone want to wager on what they'll retail at on this side of the pond? I'm guessing $75 and up.

Them's some sexy cams.

Not that I need any more gear, but those do look nice.

As usual w/ DMM gear, though, I'm sure they'll be pricey.

Anyone want to wager on what they'll retail at on this side of the pond? I'm guessing $75 and up.

DMM stuff at MEC is the cheapest brand they sell - cheaper than BD, Metolius etc. - I bet these are less expensive than BD in Canada.

Since DMM bought Wild Country it seems like the DMM branch is the high tech and expensive side. DMM biners are the most expensive of the lot at MEC. The cams just happen to be the least expensive to produce as far as I can tell.

My gut tells me that the cams will be tantalizingly more expensive than the C4s.

DMM bought WC in like 96 I thought, but Simon from DMM was saying that they are separate like last year when he was discussing the DMM contract they have for manufacturing the sexy and amazing WC Helium Biners.

Oh well, either way I suppose. They make great stuff. I need new cams like I need hemorrhoids, but I'll probably have to go out and buy a couple of sets immed... Ugggghh

NO! Must... resist ....gear....tractor..... beam....Uhhhg....

A group including the senior directors of DMM Engineering bought Wild Country back in '96. DMM Engineering owns DMM the climbing gear company. DMM the climbing gear company does contract manufacturing for Wild Country, which is also owned by DMM Engineering...

Or at least, I *think* that how it works.

Either way, I like the move that DMM is making. The new Shadow Secure biners look like a slick speed locker for first bolts and anywhere else that a biner breaking would mean disaster. They have a little thumb toggle that switches from free to locking.

Secure.jpg

OMG!

Raccoon_Really_Really_Want.jpg

Bugger, I just went through this with Master Cams!!

mumbling to self "don't need more cam's."

hit self with stick.

repeat

I'm beginning to see a future where I have at least 4 cams in every concievable size, and my rack weighs too much for me to do anything but lay on the ground and admire it!

but how I do love the new DMM Alloy Offsets !!!!

Does anyone else find the name ironic. First we have Camalots - a very nice play on cams and what they do. Also on the well know fictitious city of Camelot of medieval times. Which some take the liberty and add mystical creatures such as dragons to.

BTW While the double axial patent has expired other parts "I believe" have had subsequent patents due to improvements.

I've only got three of the alloy offsets so far (but a full set of the little HB brass offsets) and am definitely planning on filling mine out.

And Sherri, why would you ever climb on anyone elses rack? All other racks are clearly inferior!!