Anyone want to Climb Rainier this Weekend?

Josh Lewis

Anyone want to climb Rainier this weekend? (July 16- July 17) although depending on weather, it may have to swap to (July 17- July 19) So far I have five people including myself wanting to climb Rainier. I need one more guys so that we have two rope teams of three people.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Here's the plan:

Thusday- Head up to Camp Muir

Friday- Climb up .... that's it

The reason I swapped scehdules because if the weather gets crummy Saturday Night, that would not be good.

------------------------------------------------------------

Here's the alternative plan:

Friday- Hike up to Camp Muir, rest, sleep.

Saturday- Aclemise to the altitude, rest, practice snow anchors

Sunday- Get up at Midnight or so and head up for the summit

The reason for a three day trip is because day 2 is good preparation for day 3, it's always good to have better odds and be better prepaired. AND BELIEVE ME, I'll be prepaired!

-----------------------------------------------------------

So far who's Going:

Christopher Garceau

Matt Hickey

Mark Struab

Dan Straub

Joshua Lewis

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

So we have now 5/6 people required or recommend.

Keep in mind, we need to have enough people if we want this to work out. Also be on time when we rope up on Sunday! Four people could work, but Mark was recommending more come to stay on the safe side.

Note: Someone who has been up would be great, if you have not but are experienced with glaciers, also welcomed. MAKE SURE YOU HAVE ALL REQUIRED GEAR! If you need a list, let me know. Also make sure your strong enough.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Knoledge Needed:

-Ice Axe Arrest Training

-Crevasse Rescue Skills

-Experience on Snow or Glacier's

-How to rope up

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Gear Needed:

Ice Axe

Boots (Perferably Mountaineering Boots)

Crampons

Helmet

10 essentials, that mean Exrta Cloths, extra food, and a water purifier would be good to bring

Harness

Chess Harness (or Tubular Webbing Sling)

Many clipping carribeaners

Snow Picket

Perlon (For foot prussiks and such)

And a few other things

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

As for Group Gear, here's what we got so far listed:

Tent

Stove

Rope (Although if anyone has any climbing rope, it may be lighter than ours so that would be nice to bring, especially if there are two teams.

------------------------------------------------------------------

We hope to assign people to carry gear, and perhaps bring gear. Let me know what group stuff you might contribute so that we know we have enough or need more of something. Also remember communication is another important part of the trip, so I have 6 radio's which I can have each person get one. Also if you need a map, please let me know, I can easily get extra's!

As for pace, on the way to Camp Muir I hope not to go too fast because I don;t want to make myself tired, although if the group really wants to go fast, I can.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

This trip has already happend.

Edited by Josh Lewis

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm interested but can't commit just yet, and I'll only be free after friday afternoon.

I made 3 attempts on Rainier last year. All 3 were on the DC. Two were aborted due to weather and the third was successful. I've also summited Adams (Mazama glacier) and Baker.

I have all the required personal gear, plus a jetboil stove, an Edelweiss 8mm x 30m rope and two Coyote pickets.

I'm not in the shape it like to be in though. I'll probably won't be too fast getting to Muir with the big pack, but once I drop some weight there I'll be fine.

Thanks for wanting to come. There's a problem... the weather might turn soar Saturday Night

"SATURDAY NIGHT AND SUNDAY...MOSTLY CLOUDY WITH A CHANCE OF

SHOWERS. SNOW LEVEL 12000 FEET." - http://www.atmos.washington.edu/data/rainier_report.html

That could spell blizzard.... which could endanger the trip and be hazerdous. Is there some way you could get Thusday off? That would be perfect!

I could go for starting Friday, but that would decrease our odds of summiting.

Edited by Josh Lewis

probably not Thursday and Friday, and I'd need both. Sorry, didn't check the weather. With a forecast like that I'll probably just spend my time getting in better shape for another time. I'm going to do my best to make it up there before Aug 7th.

Christopher Garceau

Matt Hickey

Mark Struab

Dan Straub

Joshua Lewis

Quick question. Have any of these people ever climbed Rainier, or even been on a glacier? Who would be the point of contact, i.e. the leader (in terms of experience and leading the rope team) for this climb if I am interested?

Christopher Garceau

Matt Hickey

Mark Struab

Dan Straub

Joshua Lewis

Quick question. Have any of these people ever climbed Rainier, or even been on a glacier? Who would be the point of contact, i.e. the leader (in terms of experience and leading the rope team) for this climb if I am interested?

Matt Hickey would be the primary leader.... he summited a few weeks back. Dan Straub might be a second rope leader, although he's never summited Rainier.

Here's info on them:

Matt Hickey - A friend of Christopher Garceau and has climbed Rainier and is experienced, also is bring the rope.

Christopher Garceau- Has been in the mountaineers and has been to 11,000 feet before and ice axe arrest training and all that good stuff, but hasn't acually been in a crevasse but knows what to do if he's in one.

Dan Straub- Has good glacier experience, and might be willing to lead or atleast for the behind team. He is also very fit and has other climbing experience and is the father of Mark Struab.

Mark Straub- Has been in a crevasse for training with the mountainers and is getting into lead climbing, although probably not for this trip. He is around my age, but is experienced! He is also a great friend of mine and is trust worthy, he taught me some rope stuff and is also good at teaching stuff.

Edited by Josh Lewis

Sorry, we are acually heading out Thursday. But I would like to climb Mount Baker next weekend... are you game? I'll post the trip report on what happend on this trip. I appologize, but I'm invited, not the leader, but was allowed to invite people if they fit into the scehdule, if the weather was good Saturday, this might have worked out.

Wish me good luck. Cheers Josh Lewis.

Edited by Josh Lewis