Pardon my n00bness, but what exactly IS a sprayer?

BenWA

I've always understood it to be climbing-specific,

So, you were wrong. Now you know better.

"Spray is incessant broadcasting about your achievements."

- Mick Ryan (writes Bishop guides)

Like I said, maybe there's some sort of sport climbing vs alpine distinction. Clearly, for the purposes of this forum (and all the blowhards in it), any kind of political commentary/trash talking counts as spray. I was trying to answer the first guy's question about how it pertained to climbing.

Muffy wins this round handily.

:yawn:

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And how do expect Mick Ryan, mostly known for being a self-aggrandizing limey first chased out of Britain to the UK and then chased out of the States back to Britain, to have any fucking idea what the true, soul-climber, untrademarked meaning of Spray is? The man has no capacity for creative thinking - just stealing beta and publishing semi-pirated, soulless guidebooks.

But that's what you get for substituting Googling for experience. Ignorance of history and doomed repetition.

you got it wrong sugar butt. Whether or not you can "Spray" has nothing to do with said climbing ability or lack there of. It is related to your ability to hold your own in a verbal smack down on ANY topic. oh and if you need to know what a wanker is... look in the mirror luv.

I never said it had anything to do with climbing ability. If "spray" has been generalized to refer to any kind of BSing, that's fine, but I've always understood it to be climbing-specific, about spouting off on grades and sendage in blowhard fashion.

And while I appreciate your charming attempt to "explain" to me what a wanker is, if I'd been unfamiliar with the term, I would have figured it out from that self-portrait you use as an avatar.

awww how sweet you think I look Like GIR from Invader Zim, poor thing. Spraying is not climber specific, it is internet specific. I can spray on any BBS. and do. had you slightly more computer experience you may have come across the term before. *nods*

I've always understood it to be climbing-specific,

So, you were wrong. Now you know better.

Like I said, maybe there's some sort of sport climbing vs alpine distinction. Clearly, for the purposes of this forum (and all the blowhards in it), any kind of political commentary/trash talking counts as spray. I was trying to answer the first guy's question about how it pertained to climbing.

Muffy wins this round handily.

:yawn:

umm you are going to buy what one climber has to say? Dude climbers all think they are the center of the universe ;)

oh and just so you know "broadcasting about your achievements" = chest beating

Spraying is not climber specific, it is internet specific. I can spray on any BBS. and do. had you slightly more computer experience you may have come across the term before. *nods*

Haha you guys are hilarious. I'm sorry it wasn't clear - I was quoting Mick Ryan as an example. (And G-Spotter - what's all this about him pirating guidebooks? I haven't paid much attention to him in years - it seems he's moved out of Bishop and back to Britain?) I was not Googling "spray" to figure out what it meant - I was trying to find some sort of online climbing dictionary that would have a definition for the term that I could use to back my definition up (but I couldn't find spray listed in any of the online dictionaries, so I ended up in the RC.com forums). If you guys know of some sort of climbing lingo dictionary that defines spray the way you're defining it, feel free to show me up.

And Muffy - WTF - spraying has nothing to do with the internet. (Can people not do it in person? Does it only exist through text?) Though your assertion that "had I slightly more computer experience" is a GREAT example of spray! (Are we doing nerd-upmanship now?) Allow me to spray back about how I've been familiar with the term since getting a subscription to Rock & Ice like a dozen years ago. I can understand how G-Spotter, being Canadian, would have trouble with the translation of subculture lingo into his native language, but what's your excuse? :wazup:

Spraying is not climber specific, it is internet specific. I can spray on any BBS. and do. had you slightly more computer experience you may have come across the term before. *nods*

Haha you guys are hilarious. I'm sorry it wasn't clear - I was quoting Mick Ryan as an example. (And G-Spotter - what's all this about him pirating guidebooks? I haven't paid much attention to him in years - it seems he's moved out of Bishop and back to Britain?) I was not Googling "spray" to figure out what it meant - I was trying to find some sort of online climbing dictionary that would have a definition for the term that I could use to back my definition up (but I couldn't find spray listed in any of the online dictionaries, so I ended up in the RC.com forums). If you guys know of some sort of climbing lingo dictionary that defines spray the way you're defining it, feel free to show me up.

And Muffy - WTF - spraying has nothing to do with the internet. (Can people not do it in person? Does it only exist through text?) Though your assertion that "had I slightly more computer experience" is a GREAT example of spray! (Are we doing nerd-upmanship now?) Allow me to spray back about how I've been familiar with the term since getting a subscription to Rock & Ice like a dozen years ago. I can understand how G-Spotter, being Canadian, would have trouble with the translation of subculture lingo into his native language, but what's your excuse? :wazup:

This round was closer, but Muffy again demonstrates clear superiority with brevity and lack of parenthetical expressions. Referencing Rock & Ice does not score points.

Muffy: 2

Bosterson: 0

i would explain how you are wrong, but you wouldn't get it.

So.....posting a trip report is not broadcasting your achievements? I would keep explaining it to you, but you will never get it. :wave:

Experience, and subscribing to rock and choss, are not the same thing. You not only severely lack experience but then you go running looking for online dictionaries to back you up.

I lack experience at being familiar with the term "spray?" Look, I defined it one way, you say I was flat wrong, Muffy said it originated with the internet, so aside from me conceding to your obvious prowess as a spraylord, how exactly do you propose anyone back up what they're saying if we can't try to find some accepted community definition? (Unless you want to use Porter's gorilla definition, and then I'm totally with you.)

Re: R&I - My point was that the term "spray" exists (and originated) outside the internet. I read the magazine as a teenager. I guess that means I'll never be a real hardman?

You know, since you've basically turned this into an issue of who is better and has more experience and all that BS, this actually has devolved into real spray! Hopefully the original guy asking the question has been paying attention.

Footnotes will cost you points! Don't challenge Muff to a lack of parenthetical expressions contest either but challenge her to a spelling contest. She's polished it up a bit more than normally for you here cause you're new around here, but you'll totally kick her ass on this one....trust me.

Sorry Muffy, helping out the new fella is all - still love ya!!!!

:wave: