Pardon my n00bness, but what exactly IS a sprayer?

BenWA

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On a K through 12 basis, you really wouldn't want an outside auditor ranking cc.com's typical spray quotient or content quality. The game show "Are You Smarter Than a Fifth Grader?" leaps to mind (obviously a FOX Network production given their audience)...

Spray is climbing talk - endless, obnxious blabbering about routes climbed; their grades; your opinions on their grades; your friends' opinions on their grades; your opinions on the first ascentionists' opinions of their grades; routes nearly climbed but for the wrong shoes, lack of chalk, or high gravity; your local climbing scene being overrun by "n00bs;" routes you climbed in the gym; intricate, unnecessary details about fancy new gear that will help you send your proj (in fact, I think any sentence with the word "proj" in it automatically counts as spray); endless streams of beta on every single move of the one route you have ever climbed outside; etc.

Not being a snowboarder, I have no idea what a "gaper" is (sort of "all talk, no action?"), but you're probably right that it's basically the same idea. It's definitely a universal climbing term (not just PNW), but I have no idea where it originated.

Considering that I have never, ever heard "n00bs" at the crag or in the gym "spray" about contemporary world politics, and considering that climbing is strictly off-topic in the CC "spray" forum, this place is clearly devoid of any actual spray.

On a K through 12 basis, you really wouldn't want an outside auditor ranking cc.com's typical spray quotient or content quality. The game show "Are You Smarter Than a Fifth Grader?" leaps to mind (obviously a FOX Network production given their audience)...

"confusion" say's....

Spray is climbing talk - endless, obnxious blabbering about routes climbed; their grades; your opinions on their grades; your friends' opinions on their grades; your opinions on the first ascentionists' opinions of their grades; routes nearly climbed but for the wrong shoes, lack of chalk, or high gravity; your local climbing scene being overrun by "n00bs;" routes you climbed in the gym; intricate, unnecessary details about fancy new gear that will help you send your proj (in fact, I think any sentence with the word "proj" in it automatically counts as spray); endless streams of beta on every single move of the one route you have ever climbed outside; etc.

Not being a snowboarder, I have no idea what a "gaper" is (sort of "all talk, no action?"), but you're probably right that it's basically the same idea. It's definitely a universal climbing term (not just PNW), but I have no idea where it originated.

Considering that I have never, ever heard "n00bs" at the crag or in the gym "spray" about contemporary world politics, and considering that climbing is strictly off-topic in the CC "spray" forum, this place is clearly devoid of any actual spray.

Thanks.

Yeah, a gaper in snowboarding is basically someone who watches all the action from the sidelines, rather than who is actually part of the action itself. It's what the "hardcores" call the weekend warriors, but they also bust on their buddies for being gapers. So I guess it's a little different with sprayers.

So from my understanding, I picture a sprayer to be a guy wearing neon tights, no shirt, a headband, Oakley Frogskin sunglasses, with a French accent saying something like: "For you, dis is good climb. For me, maybe I climb dis when I am sick or when I am tired. But for you, dis is good climb." Am I close?

So from my understanding, I picture a sprayer to be a guy wearing neon tights, no shirt, a headband, Oakley Frogskin sunglasses, with a French accent saying something like: "For you, dis is good climb. For me, maybe I climb dis when I am sick or when I am tired. But for you, dis is good climb." Am I close?

Neon tights went out with the 90s. I'm not sure your hypothetical Frenchman is spraying - he just sounds like an asshole.

Maybe picture a ripped meathead with one of those stupid fratboy shell necklaces who climbs in "pre worn" designer jeans. He's pantomiming every move on his 5.13a limestone roof proj (with fixed draws), waxing poetic about how the opening moves are a 5.12b cakewalk, how he definitely would've sent it earlier but it was too hot (friction was bad), how Sharma first climbed this route and three next to it but when he did it, he went from the undercling to the gaston dyno. The fratboy prattles on about how he's ticked off the other 5.12d routes immediately adjacent to this one, how easy they were and how hard this one is (the third one to the right felt more like 5.12b/c), and how he's definitely going to do it next go, when the temps are just a smidge lower, his pump just slightly less, his clipping just slightly faster, and if his belayer doesn't short rope him on the dyno or give him too much slack in the crux.

Does alpine or mountaineering have spray? I'm sure it must (probably something about "nearly epicing"), but I can only picture spraying about sport or bouldering.

little 8 yr old Johnny says, "my pee pee is bigger than yours!" Little Tommy says," No way! mine is bigger!" then ..."no it isn't"..."yes it is, your dumb!!!" ...no it isn't, you are ugly!!!!!!!"... "yes it is i will show you"! then Johnny drops his shorts. Tommy shrugs and drops his. Come to find out ...DAMN! they are both the same size!!

thats spray!

No. Spray is shit talking pure and simple. Spray is what climbers do when they aren't climbing.

You know how in Yosemite, say, all the Valley regulars sit around the fire circle with tall boys of OE and talk shit?

Spray is the same thing except the circle is the internet.

you got it wrong sugar butt. Whether or not you can "Spray" has nothing to do with said climbing ability or lack there of. It is related to your ability to hold your own in a verbal smack down on ANY topic. oh and if you need to know what a wanker is... look in the mirror luv.

No. Spray is shit talking pure and simple. Spray is what climbers do when they aren't climbing.

You know how in Yosemite, say, all the Valley regulars sit around the fire circle with tall boys of OE and talk shit?

Spray is the same thing except the circle is the internet.

xoxooxoxxoxoxoox

you got it wrong sugar butt. Whether or not you can "Spray" has nothing to do with said climbing ability or lack there of. It is related to your ability to hold your own in a verbal smack down on ANY topic. oh and if you need to know what a wanker is... look in the mirror luv.

I never said it had anything to do with climbing ability. If "spray" has been generalized to refer to any kind of BSing, that's fine, but I've always understood it to be climbing-specific, about spouting off on grades and sendage in blowhard fashion.

And while I appreciate your charming attempt to "explain" to me what a wanker is, if I'd been unfamiliar with the term, I would have figured it out from that self-portrait you use as an avatar.

I never said it had anything to do with climbing ability. If "spray" has been generalized to refer to any kind of BSing, that's fine, but I've always understood it to be climbing-specific, about spouting off on grades and sendage in blowhard fashion.

And while I appreciate your charming attempt to "explain" to me what a wanker is, if I'd been unfamiliar with the term, I would have figured it out from that self-portrait you use as an avatar.

Muffy wins this round handily.