Your Favorite Pocket Shooter for Climbing

512dude

My digital pocket camera crapped out this weekend on Jefferson and I am looking for some feedback on what your using for a climbing camera.

I am considering some of the Olympus SW (shock & weather) models as well as the Pentax W series.

Thanks for your advice.

PS. I should say that I also found this post useful http://cascadeclimbers.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Main/57986/Number/777653#Post777653

Edited by 512dude

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

After my favorite Sony digital camera died, I replaced it with a Canon A1000 IS. It takes AA batteries, has an optical viewfinder, zooms well, and takes pretty good pictures (you can look at my photos in the Gallery). If it had a little wider angle lens it would just about be perfect. There are a bunch of good cameras out there...depending on what features you want. Good luck!

Edited by Le Piston

For digital cameras I've always had the best experience with Canon and Nikon. My climbing camera is a PowerShot A610... nothing fancy but it gets the job done and was cheap. The newer G9 and G10 are pretty sweet rigs too. I've also heard really good things about the Nikon Coolpix series.

One thing I really like about the A610 is that it has an optical viewfinder, no matter what the manufacturer says I have yet to find an LCD screen that is viewable in the sun at 10k feet or on a glacier or whatever.

I was considering getting one of the Olympus SW series cameras to replace my fairly beat up Powershot but my girlfriend got one last summer and the picture quality is piss-poor compared to my 3 year old Powershot.

I love Olympus cameras for film (XA/XA4 and OM-1 and OM-2) but Canon and Nikon really seem to have the digital game dialed.

After the zoom on my Minolta Dimage went kaput from hail/rain moisture, I replaced it w/ a Pentax Optio W10. W=waterproof. And then got a W20 so my partner could take pix while climbing w/o worrying about rain damage. Even though it claims to be waterproof, I don't treat it that way. But I feel like I don't have to baby it as much either.