[TR] Clyde Minaret - Rock Route 7/10/2009

off_the_hook

Trip: Clyde Minaret - Rock Route

Date: 7/10/2009

Trip Report:

Clyde Minaret is the highest point of the rugged Minaret group of peaks near Mammoth Lakes. I have wanted to climb in the Minarets since I first viewed them from the summits of Mount Ritter and Banner Peak in 2007. I took the Rock Route, which is the easiest route up to the summit, but still involves exposed class three scrambling and a class 4 downclimb. I reached the summit 5:03 after beginning, took 15 minutes on the summit, and returned in 4:27, for a total roundtrip of 9:45. Since I had climbed Mount Sill in the Palisades the previous day, I was hoping for a shorter outing, but the route up Clyde Minaret proved to be involved with quite a bit of scrambling and spicy snow/ice sections. All in all, a very enjoyable climb with spectacular scenery.

clyde0003.JPG

I started at Agnew Meadows at 4:55 am and reached Shadow Lake just in time for alpenglow over Mount Ritter and Banner Peak. I continued on up the canyon to gorgeous Lake Ediza and then up snowfields to Iceberg Lake. Icy snow covered the steeper terrain between Iceberg Lake and Cecile Lake so I put crampons on. I reached Cecile Lake about 2:50 after beginning (9.5 miles) and thought the summit could be an hour away, however, I ran into some complexities. First, I tried to avoid the icy steep snow by accessing the ledge at the start of the route from the south side but was turned around by a gaping bergschrund. Realizing the north access was the only route that would work, I retraced my steps and swung around to the north side. This aspect is in the shade most of the day resulting in steep snice, inappropriate for my Kahtoola aluminum crampons. Fortunately, I found a way to ascend to the ledge by climbing up between the snow and the rock. The next complexity was a series of steep snow patches in the narrow chute of the Rock Route. It took some time, but I found ways around these snow patches with occasional 4th class climbing. Finally, I had some routefinding issues on the upper part of the route by climbing to the right of the rib crest where the climbing was more difficult. I finally made it up to the false summit, downclimbed the class 4 section, and made my way to the summit. Great views of the Minarets, Ritter/Banner, and the many alpine lakes below. The clarity was great with Mono Lake clearly visible in the distance. After a break on the summit, I began the descent with the route seeming much more obvious from above. Downclimbing the steep, icy snow below the ledge was tedious, but I was happy to find that the snow between Cecile Lake and Iceberg Lake had softened up. From Lake Ediza I jogged most of the way back to Agnew Meadows, arriving 9:45 after beginning at 2:40 pm.

clyde0002.JPG

Panorama from Lake Ediza

clyde0005.JPG

The Minarets from Lake Ediza

clyde0006.JPG

clyde0004.JPG

The Minarets

clyde0008.JPG

Ritter and Banner

clyde0009.JPG

Lake Ediza

clyde0013.JPG

clyde0012.JPG

clyde0051.JPG

Minaret Panorama

clyde0014.JPG

Clyde Minaret from Cecile Lake

clyde0015.JPG

Ritter and Banner from the summit

clyde0017.JPG

Looking down to Iceberg Lake and Lake Ediza

clyde0016.JPG

Mono Lake in the distance

clyde0020.JPG

Summit shot

[video:youtube]

clyde0021.JPG

Minarets from the summit

clyde0022.JPG

Michael Minaret

clyde0023.JPG

clyde0024.JPG

4th Class step

clyde0025.JPG

clyde0026.JPG

A look up the final portion of the rock route to the ridge crest.

clyde0027.JPG

clyde0028.JPG

Gendarme with Iceberg Lake

clyde0030.JPG

Steep snow patches in the Rock Route chute.

clyde0031.JPG

clyde0032.JPG

Cecile Lake

clyde0033.JPG

Icebergs in Cecile Lake

clyde0035.JPG

clyde0034.JPG

clyde0038.JPG

Icebergs in Iceberg Lake

clyde0040.JPG

Iceberg Lake

clyde0037.JPG

clyde0042.JPG

clyde0044.JPG

Lake Ediza

clyde0045.JPG

clyde0043.JPG

clyde0046.JPG

clyde0047.JPG

Minaret Range from Lake Ediza

clyde0052.JPG

View from Shadow Lake in the afternoon.

clyde0048.JPG

Gear Notes:

Crampons, ice axe, helmet.

Approach Notes:

Trail in great condition to Lake Ediza. Snow patches remain between Ediza and Iceberg Lake. All snow (icy in the morning) between Iceberg Lake and Cecile Lake.

• Replies 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic