Slinging Jumars

billcoe

OK, if you ever wondered why the handles on the Jumars break, it's because you are not threading them correctly. Although especially true of the Grey ones, the newer yellow ones should have webbing. Don't just clip the hole with a biner.

I just learned this myself. Who knew? From Deuces site, the lower left hand device. See how the webbing is stuffed up into the hole?

jumar_rigging.jpg

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why were they build like that? Do you get instructions when you buy them? Can you even buy them anymore?

They were just built like that, can't say why. I never saw any instructions, and as they are Swiss, they don't have to worry about getting sued if it goes bad I suppose. You can still buy the yellow ones, and people still climb on the grey ones to this day.

Picture of Mark Hudons threaded at the base correctly but without the top webbing to back it up.

jugs.jpg

Few stores carry the origonals as they seem to cost so much more than the stamped Petzls.

http://store.everestgear.com/434400.html 284_big.jpg

About $110 each.

I always understood that the grey ones break, and the yellow ones are OK. is that wrong?

True dat Snoboy, but they are saying to sling the yellow from the hole as well. I see folks been climbing for years just using a biner on the Yellow ones, so it's probably not an issue.....of course, I'd hate to be the first to learn otherwise the hard way! :)

:wave:

Just say no to cast metal parts in safety gear!

Most other climbing gear parts are stamped, milled, or extruded (and then milled). Cast Jumars supposedly would break at the thin front section if bashed into a rock or fallen onto. Cast parts tend to break instead of bend.

Now if only Ivan hadn't dropped my blue Petzl one off Washington Column...

Edited by Moof