For those bolting in the western Gorge...

JosephH

I moved an anchor today, it was with two year old, five piece, non-stainless 3/8" bolts which were already well on their way to corroding. If you must bolt something on the west side of the Cascades, then please pop for stainless so you're not just installing ten year timebombs - and also, please pay attention to holding the drill perpendicular to the rock.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I moved an anchor today, it was with two year old, five piece, non-stainless 3/8" bolts which were already well on their way to corroding. If you must bolt something on the west side of the Cascades, then please pop for stainless so you're not just installing ten year timebombs - and also, please pay attention to holding the drill perpendicular to the rock.

LOL!!! total agreement. I've been preaching this for a while. It amazes me how fast the 5 piece go bad, and you can't tell form just looking at them. Stainless is the only way to go unless you're at the coast, and then look at Titanium glueins. My fear is that there is a real, internal, non-visible rust at the 5 piece threads causing which will cause failure in some years while the outside of the bolt is still looking relatively good. Who can really say how the steel 5 piece will hold up long term- they start to rust where you can't see it and go to crap shockingly fast. And anyway, the other big issue is why make someone else deal with it and make them put in stainless later after you already used the best location/spot for the steel one?

Uh....give us more than that JH? Where? What climb?

the western gorge huh, sounds like beacon is opened or JH has special privileges out at beacon. or in his desperation and failed attempt for an early opening has been reduced to climbing at the far side.

Check out the power of the Internet - now you can hear a whine all the way from Colorado where it's 81 degrees with scattered clouds in Eldo today.

The point of the thread was to let folks know that being shortsighted or cheap now is only going to create a mess for themselves or others ten years down the road when all the non-stainless bolts need to be replaced - not to provide an impulse control test for you and pink.

The point of the thread was to let folks know that being shortsighted or cheap now is only going to create a mess for themselves or others ten years down the road when all the non-stainless bolts need to be replaced - not to provide an impulse control test for you and pink.

I think the point of the thread was so you get to tell others what to do/how to climb.

No, unless you think Bill is trying to tell people how to climb as well. But if you insist that mentioning to folks that putting in rusting time bombs and badly placed bolts serves no one's interest is 'telling other what to do / how to climb' then so be it. But me personally, if I'm going to come upon a bolt, my preference is that it's a good one.

So which is it out at Ozone, stainless or will your son be climbing on junk in in his early teens...?

the western gorge huh, sounds like beacon is opened or JH has special privileges out at beacon. or in his desperation and failed attempt for an early opening has been reduced to climbing at the far side.

Check out the power of the Internet - now you can hear a whine all the way from Colorado where it's 81 degrees with scattered clouds in Eldo today.

yes i know, i've been there plenty lately. now go convince some young stupid climber that u r RAD! feel sorry for the guy u mentor. free climbing with pocket protectors and double gear slings. go away from beacon ya fucking dork.

No, unless you think Bill is trying to tell people how to climb as well. But if you insist that mentioning to folks that putting in rusting time bombs and badly placed bolts serves no one's interest is 'telling other what to do / how to climb' then so be it. But me personally, if I'm going to come upon a bolt, my preference is that it's a good one.

So which is it out at Ozone, stainless or will your son be climbing on junk in in his early teens...?

bolts, chalk, falcons... oh tell us more, show us the way. yer a regular modern day moses.

Bad bolts, half a bag of chalk dumped on half a 5.7 pitch, and fewer climbing days - all good no doubt, especially if you live somewhere else and don't climb.

Edit: so you claim to be getting out, good for you, what a change - whining and climbing.

BEEN HANGING ANY SIGNS FROM BUILDINGS LATELY NERD BOY.

ARE YOU HAPPY WITH WHAT U HAVE ACCOMPLISHED JH? OR IS SPENDING THREE YEARS ON A 6 PITCH ROUTE STATUS QUO FOR Hardmen like yourself. i climb plenty and would like to see your resume dickhead.

and jh, if you think people like you they are just pretending.

good job on another successful opening.

go to yosemite and climb something, thats what i did when beacon closed and i wasn't trying to start a business and a family. i have other objectives dickhead. billcoe took time off raising his family. why don't you call him a fool why you are at it. and i', pretty sure my climbing resume is strong.

FUCK YOU YOU WANKER.

YOU CAN'T EVEN KEEP FROM SPRAYING IN YOUR OWN FORUM.

YOU ARE A LOSER.

A LOSER.

no one i know who has met likes you.

want me to start naming names?