Is Mount Stuart Technicle?

Josh Lewis

A "Just go for it" post is likely to cost this kid his life and maybe someone else's as well.

Fuck anyone who does not take this into account and give this specific blundering fool of a kid, decent advise.

[video:youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8jYwVXpyuT8

Blundering fool of a kid? You have no idea who you are dealing with! :eveeel:

Edited by Josh Lewis

• Replies 288
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Also, where the eff are all you "I just registered yesterday because I know Josh and have an outside perspective on your highly unimportant internet discussion" people coming from?

I was wondering the same thing, I think there's a little bubble of new registrations all drawn by the desire to stick their paddle into this odoriferous kettle and give it a little stir. :laf:

Not necessarily famous, but 5500 views in about 10 days is a fair bit of traffic. The answer to why you are stuck in the middle of all this is the key issue. It happens to you wherever you go, right? It's not posters of any given board, it's the sheer drama of the can't-help-but-look at the accident waiting to happen, the combination of your sheer determination and utter lack of foresight or experience.

Pete may have been making a funny about a hoods-in-the-woods program, but it's actually a very good idea.

Sure, I'll take the bait. I fit the bill.

I have been hiking with Josh a few times. He's my friend, and I hate to say this, but three times have been a disaster. One time he ran away, another time he wouldn't talk and his older brother ran away, and the last time (a Rainier attempt less than a week ago) he did not have the proper skills, and then made everyone look bad for something or other that was his fault. The most offensive part to me was when he implied that my father was selfish for charging Josh a quarter of the gas cost. My parents drove him and I 340 miles, and then my dad asked him to work for a short period of time to pay it off. Paying for your share of gas money is part of climbing, and he was only asked to pay half what his fair share would have been.

I was teaching Josh to climb, but his selfish comments and refusal to learn from his past lessons have shown me that it is just not a safe decision. If someone is willing to work with him, I taught him belays, rappelling, rock anchors, snow anchors, rock climbing technique, and some other assorted stuff. You gotta have a lot of patience, though.

Josh, I'm still your friend, but just call these mountain "adventures" (suicide attempts?) the things that keep me away from you.

My advice is, go to Mt. Stuart and see how you do. I'll be awaiting your trip response.

And please, for the sake of you and everyone else on here, stay AWAY from Mt. Rainier!

-Mark

Wow wow Mark... hold your horses... now if your gonna slam me with these charges, I'm gonna have to moderate this.

First off... one of the trips I ran away? What are you talking about? If I did, don't mind refreshing my memory.

Second... you try to blame me for the Mount Adams deal (note this was on the way down), we were near the edge of the trail and where sorta uncertain, and then you go out and say "ok your dessicions are not good, why should I listen to you?!" and then dictated were we went, which was the wrong direction. When ever I would speak up and noticed something familiar, you would tell me I was wrong because I shouldn't be trusted because "I got us lost" even though we at first were next to the trail, and I did not want to say this but I think more of it was your fault then mine. I did not want to have to say that, but with you constantly saying it was my fault was irritating even though I don't think much of it was. Eventually I kept my mouth shut because you were angry, we should have stopped and brought out the map. Although it was the right choice for us to go up which I give you kuddos for doing. When we were further up the trail we asked a guy were down was, and he pointed to were we first were when "I supposedly got us lost". But it was very nice of your dad to drive me and my brother to Mount Adams and back, which that was very much appreciated. As for going to Mount Rainier without the proper skills, I will fess up though on that part, on ice and snow I would do great, but on crevasse rescue I probably would not have, because I have never been in one. But you had me come anyways, if you really are upset about me coming unskilled... why would you have went with me? You knew my skill level... or atleast when it comes to crevasses.

Also when you said making look bad... even you said perhaps it was a good thing we did not summit because the climbers pulled off a few irresponsible mistakes. Although I could have done better to appear as though I were stronger when heading up. I did not realize I was implying that your father was selfish when I said "Mark's dad picks us up and he did not expect me, and it's almost ironic that Dan charges gas money for going home, but the climbers who I did not know did not charge me, I even offered the climbers, but they kept saying our company was good enough." My point of view when I said that was my mom hasn't chanrged Mark for taking him to any mountains, and I would have more likely have expected the climbers to charge me gas money.

As for my current view point, I am sorry if it made your dad seem one sided, greedy or bad. I also appologize for not being as appreciative as I should have been. Also it was more like 240-260 miles round trip that Mark's parents took me, but it was very nice of them to do that. I thanked your dad afterwards, even before I got your response about how unappreciative I am. And it is fair, paying 15$... perhaps more would have still have been fair.

As for teaching me Mark how to climb, thanks for teaching me what you have. You are a good teacher. But me failing to learn from my past mistakes? What?! How? As for you choosing not to teach me to climb, that is understandable... I guess that means I'll have to get even more inventive. As for patience... did I take too long to learn that? We did a lot of that stuff in a day or two, but you have also tought me a few knots during lunch at school. Also thanks for that too Mark.

As for you calling them suicide attempts... they are living attempts. I am learning much, I am also experiencing much, I would say the last month I been better about doing dangerous stuff.

I might not being even going to Rainier this year. Bummer... Anyways, sure if I go to Stuart, I'll have to let you know. Thanks Mark for taking the time to respond. Cheers Josh Lewis.

Sure, I'll take the bait. I fit the bill.

I have been hiking with Josh a few times. He's my friend, and I hate to say this, but three times have been a disaster. One time he ran away, another time he wouldn't talk and his older brother ran away, and the last time (a Rainier attempt less than a week ago) he did not have the proper skills, and then made everyone look bad for something or other that was his fault. The most offensive part to me was when he implied that my father was selfish for charging Josh a quarter of the gas cost. My parents drove him and I 340 miles, and then my dad asked him to work for a short period of time to pay it off. Paying for your share of gas money is part of climbing, and he was only asked to pay half what his fair share would have been.

I was teaching Josh to climb, but his selfish comments and refusal to learn from his past lessons have shown me that it is just not a safe decision. If someone is willing to work with him, I taught him belays, rappelling, rock anchors, snow anchors, rock climbing technique, and some other assorted stuff. You gotta have a lot of patience, though.

Josh, I'm still your friend, but just call these mountain "adventures" (suicide attempts?) the things that keep me away from you.

My advice is, go to Mt. Stuart and see how you do. I'll be awaiting your trip response.

And please, for the sake of you and everyone else on here, stay AWAY from Mt. Rainier!

-Mark

As for you choosing not to teach me to climb, that is understandable... I guess that means I'll have to get even more inventive.

For the love of Buddah, don't.

Wow, this is reading like a Jerry Springer transcript.

That's about right, minus the ugly audience chicks flashing their boobs, thank goodness. I kept seeing this as the current thread but hadn't clicked on it in a few days. This is out of control. Certainly made me laugh.

Just don't die on us out there Josh, you're the Sanjaya of CC.com and we're rooting for you.

Now here's my problem... now how am I going to do Mount Stuart? No experienced partners = no go.... :(

Here's an idea for you Josh: Why don't you put Stuart on hold, get some more experience doing some less physically demanding, yet fun peaks until you gain some real experience. THEN you can do Stuart via a much more classic route, such as the west ridge. Then you would enjoy it that much more. Why would you want to bag that peak by such a notoriously bad route anyway?

I'll let you in on another reason you have problems getting experienced partners. Your age comes with it a liability. If for some reason, there was an accident, your older, more experienced partner could be held liable. When you're 18, and a full adult in the eyes of the state, this changes.

Why don't you spend some time and practice your camping skills and physical fitness? I'm not going to recommend you just go out and go hiking, because you said you've been there/done that. But you obviously haven't honed your backpacking skills, otherwise you wouldn't be slogging a 50+ pound pack up Rainier, or be sleeping on snow without a pad. When you practice your backpacking skills, you'll also be gaining physical fitness, and as your packing skills increase, your new-found fitness will seem tenfold as you'll be lugging lighter packs on stronger legs, propelled by stronger lungs.

As others have said, you're throwing yourself at stuff when you don't have the adequate skill-set. Pick something less committing (and less dangerous) than Rainier, or Stuart. If you need a volcano, how about St. Helens (permit might be difficult right now), or even Adams via the South Route (you do know how to self arrest, right?). Or better yet, do one of the trails that goes around the volcanoes, or one of the trails that goes all the way through Olympic National Park (these can be quite challenging and quite beautiful). I guarantee your backpacking skills will go through the roof, AND you'll get the added benefit of seeing tons of peaks, or routes that will get you dreaming of future adventures.

Good luck, and HEED THE ADVICE GIVEN HERE....nobody wants to throw a wrench in you adventures, we just want to see you do these SAFELY.

Thanks malcolm777b. As for having 50+ pounds, I would say about 9 of those pounds were water... I had a heavy tent, and sleeping bag, plus my light wieght pad which there's 20 of my pounds. Then I've got a jacket (which was heavy) a long sleeve shirt, one extra layer of pants, headlamp, locking caribeaners and all that perlon, and tubular webbing stuff, which harness included. Also there was food too, sun screen, and that was most of it... I had Mark moderate my pack, which pretty much everything I had was essential... BUT If I had somehow convinced my brother to use his sleeping bag, and found the good tent which was in his closet, I would have probably had around 42ish pounds. As for ice axe arrest training, C'mon I'm a pro at that by now. :cool: I'm also exprienced on steep snow and rock.

A "Just go for it" post is likely to cost this kid his life and maybe someone else's as well.

Fuck anyone who does not take this into account and give this specific blundering fool of a kid, decent advise.

[video:youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8jYwVXpyuT8

Blundering fool of a kid? You have no idea who you are dealing with! :eveeel:

Feel free to hate me as long as you live.

I hope that it is a very long time but I have my doubts.

Cheers Josh.

Finally, someone my own age recognized my determination and offered to help. We went up Kootenai creek and he introduced me to the concept of belay anchors. There were a lot more lessons to follow and because I listened and wanted to learn, he introduced me to his friends who climbed.

That was Alex Lowe. Stand-up guy.

Shit, how many people can say they learned to climb with The Fiend.

A lot.

That was Alex.

Thanks malcolm777b. As for having 50+ pounds, I would say about 9 of those pounds were water... I had a heavy tent, and sleeping bag, plus my light wieght pad which there's 20 of my pounds. Then I've got a jacket (which was heavy) a long sleeve shirt, one extra layer of pants, headlamp, locking caribeaners and all that perlon, and tubular webbing stuff, which harness included. Also there was food too, sun screen, and that was most of it... I had Mark moderate my pack, which pretty much everything I had was essential... BUT If I had somehow convinced my brother to use his sleeping bag, and found the good tent which was in his closet, I would have probably had around 42ish pounds. As for ice axe arrest training, C'mon I'm a pro at that by now. :cool: I'm also exprienced on steep snow and rock.

So you can arrest in all 4 possible fall scenarios (head up facing in, head up facing out, head down facing in, head down facing out)? How about with a huge pack? If so, sounds like Mt. Adams South Route is completely within your ability. I think you would get much better responses if you were asking about that route than something like Stuart or Rainier. People here have a keen ability to know when someone is inquiring about a climb way above their skill level (and you haven't made that very difficult).