Is Mount Stuart Technicle?

Josh Lewis

• Replies 288
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've got a few other tales. I also liked the time I hitched hiked home... When I'm old, I plan on having so many stories, I won't know which one to tell the young folks. :laf:

If you live long enough to tell the stories!!!!!

What are you trying to prove Josh?

Would any other sixteen year olds care to chime in?

Really, though, who cares? Nature will either cull this kid from the herd or not.

Sure, I'll take the bait. I fit the bill.

I have been hiking with Josh a few times. He's my friend, and I hate to say this, but three times have been a disaster. One time he ran away, another time he wouldn't talk and his older brother ran away, and the last time (a Rainier attempt less than a week ago) he did not have the proper skills, and then made everyone look bad for something or other that was his fault. The most offensive part to me was when he implied that my father was selfish for charging Josh a quarter of the gas cost. My parents drove him and I 340 miles, and then my dad asked him to work for a short period of time to pay it off. Paying for your share of gas money is part of climbing, and he was only asked to pay half what his fair share would have been.

I was teaching Josh to climb, but his selfish comments and refusal to learn from his past lessons have shown me that it is just not a safe decision. If someone is willing to work with him, I taught him belays, rappelling, rock anchors, snow anchors, rock climbing technique, and some other assorted stuff. You gotta have a lot of patience, though.

Josh, I'm still your friend, but just call these mountain "adventures" (suicide attempts?) the things that keep me away from you.

My advice is, go to Mt. Stuart and see how you do. I'll be awaiting your trip response.

And please, for the sake of you and everyone else on here, stay AWAY from Mt. Rainier!

-Mark

C
Would any other sixteen year olds care to chime in?

Really, though, who cares? Nature will either cull this kid from the herd or not.

Already one step ahead of you. I already have a 16 year old mentor named Mark Struab. But another one might come in handy because he had experience, but to do climbing, another person would be nice to have, especially on glaciers.

That's great, and incoherent, and all, but isn't a "16 year old mentor" a bit of an oxymoron?

...sigh...

Why does age always have to come into this? My age does not dictate whether or not I am fit to teach someone.

I care about Josh and only want the best for him. he will admit he needs a harder hand to keep him in check. I have always been an honest caring person with josh. he knows how and what i mean when I post.

I do not mean to denounce him that was soooo not my intenet. he is good kid with a big heart but has issues and a huge passion for the mountains. i only want the best for the kid. Even if it means being a bit harsh. I wish he could find someone who can mentor or even just take him out so he can get out.

I just wanted folks to know the troubles he has created for himself on 2....read 2 other forums. so that maybe someone better than i can take him in and mentor him.

again thanks for your clarification.....

I feel the exact same way. Josh, when you can learn to be responsible in the mountains, and stop letting desire overrule ability, then I will continue to teach you, help you out, and take you up some summits.

Here's a priority list I saw somewhere, I really like this one.

In order of importance:

-Come back alive and safe

-Come back still friends

-Make the summit

Please remember this, and you will be much safer and happier in the future. Saying that you want the mountains now isn't going to get you anywhere; it took me two years to get from the beginning (having trouble hiking up Mt. Si) to now (just climbed Ingalls Peak and The Tooth). Patience is the key.

-Mark

When I was sixteen, I had been climbing for about four years. This included a lot of technical summits in the Bitterroots. Up to that point I had not fallen. If I had, I probably would have died and taken my belayer with me. Finally, someone my own age recognized my determination and offered to help. We went up Kootenai creek and he introduced me to the concept of belay anchors. There were a lot more lessons to follow and because I listened and wanted to learn, he introduced me to his friends who climbed.

That was Alex Lowe. Stand-up guy.

Josh needs someone to teach him for sure.

But more importantly, Josh needs to listen and learn. A "Just go for it" post is likely to cost this kid his life and maybe someone else's as well.

Fuck anyone who does not take this into account and give this specific blundering fool of a kid, decent advise. You are encouraging him to drive the freeway with his eyes closed.

I have done more climbing than most of the young jackoffs on this site.

Impressive, but do your climbing partners(past & present)include:

- 2 climbing guidebook authors

- 1 author of a self-rescue book

- 1 AMGA rock and ice guide (my rope was the first he ever tied into)

- 1 former non-accredited alpine guide in WA state

- 1 current non-accredited guide in WA state

I'm not saying this because I want anyone to feel bad about their own climbing resume, but I think its important to note.

A "Just go for it" post is likely to cost this kid his life and maybe someone else's as well.

Fuck anyone who does not take this into account and give this specific blundering fool of a kid, decent advise.

Even those pussy-posers at nwhikers have dialed into the fact that Josh doesn't listen, so why give the fucking genius advice? Maybe the poor bastard stupid enough to take Josh out needs to be taken outta the gene pool too.

His buddy Mark says he "runs away!" LOL!!!! That's a fucking riot. Yah, some twit who does that will listen. :laf:

Finally, someone my own age recognized my determination and offered to help. We went up Kootenai creek and he introduced me to the concept of belay anchors. There were a lot more lessons to follow and because I listened and wanted to learn, he introduced me to his friends who climbed.

That was Alex Lowe. Stand-up guy.

Shit, how many people can say they learned to climb with The Fiend.

A "Just go for it" post is likely to cost this kid his life and maybe someone else's as well.

Fuck anyone who does not take this into account and give this specific blundering fool of a kid, decent advise.

Even those pussy-posers at nwhikers have dialed into the fact that Josh doesn't listen, so why give the fucking genius advice? Maybe the poor bastard stupid enough to take Josh out needs to be taken outta the gene pool too.

His buddy Mark says he "runs away!" LOL!!!! That's a fucking riot. Yah, some twit who does that will listen. :laf:

I can see why they warned me about this place...

...well, if it gets me a climbing partner, that's all I need.

-Mark

History repeats itself. This is the same cycle that summitpost and nwhikers went through. 1+ monster threads where the user base divided into groups of Josh coddlers, Josh spankers, and ambivalent spectators cruising by the car wreck.

The Josh coddlers will see the truth, and throw themselves in with the spankers. Or throw up their hands and join the spectators. Dozens of people have personally invested huge amounts of time and effort into Josh, and the last Rainier trip report (or duct tape feet, wtf!) shows that it's largely been for naught.

Have fun with this guy, cc.com. I really hope you pull it off. Maybe the rough touch is what he needs.

spam this thing is a train wreck :sick:

You got that right.... now It seems worse than ever! Dang this whole climbing idea's never gonna work is it? Nor is scrambling, or perhaps even hiking..... face it, I lost.

WTF? You can't lose when you don't play.

Do odd jobs for cash (as you've been doing), save up enough dough for climbing courses, and get in the game.

This is we todd dead.

the user base divided into groups of Josh coddlers, Josh spankers

I'm sure that says something to all the amateur sociologists about the different personality types represented...

and ambivalent spectators cruising by the car wreck.

We just can't help slowing down to oggle?

Also, where the eff are all you "I just registered yesterday because I know Josh and have an outside perspective on your highly unimportant internet discussion" people coming from?

spam this thing is a train wreck :sick:

You got that right.... now It seems worse than ever! Dang this whole climbing idea's never gonna work is it? Nor is scrambling, or perhaps even hiking..... face it, I lost.

Since your sort of a chronic truant and a runaway, maybe you can get into some sort of hoods-in-the-woods program. Go winter camping with some 15-year-old gang bangers and meth addicts and tell them about the time you rode your ghetto-ass bike to Mt. Pilchuck, or wherever the fuck it was, and duct taped your feet together.

Since your sort of a chronic truant and a runaway, maybe you can get into some sort of hoods-in-the-woods program. Go winter camping with some 15-year-old gang bangers and meth addicts and tell them about the time you rode your ghetto-ass bike to Mt. Pilchuck, or wherever the fuck it was, and duct taped your feet together.

That's a slideshow I know I'd pay money for!

You got that right.... now It seems worse than ever!

I warned you that you wouldn't get any gentle stroking over here. Now quit whining and go have a gentle time hiking this year. Try again once you get the basics and the attitude worked out. And that doesn't mean one good trip and you're "cured" either.

History repeats itself. This is the same cycle that summitpost and nwhikers went through. 1+ monster threads where the user base divided into groups of Josh coddlers, Josh spankers, and ambivalent spectators cruising by the car wreck.

The Josh coddlers will see the truth, and throw themselves in with the spankers. Or throw up their hands and join the spectators. Dozens of people have personally invested huge amounts of time and effort into Josh, and the last Rainier trip report (or duct tape feet, wtf!) shows that it's largely been for naught.

Have fun with this guy, cc.com. I really hope you pull it off. Maybe the rough touch is what he needs.

I kinda find it funny that all your posts here on cc are about me. If you guys really want to know... the summitpost thing, it was about cheating and power, lesson learned there.... on nwhikers well it is a little more serious. The last trip though... did I really do a whole lot wrong? The duct taped feet on the bike trip, it was to keep my feet from freezing, I learned the harder way the importance of a pad... Well all thse trips, there one huge learning process, often I learn things though experience, and it helps me believe in the reality of the dangers. So I would say I been safe for about a month so far. As for you saying it's largely been for naught... I learned a bit, so it was indeed not in vain. Oh and it will be fulled off, there is indeed a solution! And a rough touch just complicates the situation... but if that's what people want.... well then so be it. But I think were hitting a turning point in this.