Is Mount Stuart Technicle?

Josh Lewis

• Replies 288
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2. Don't take advantage of your partners/mentors...i'm sure you've heard this before but make sure you're kissing their ass. buy gas, bring them booze for after the climb, etc. just make sure you don't do anything stupid, take the heavy load, and make them want to climb with you again.

I read something like this earlier in this thread and I'm a little unclear where this idea comes from. I for one don't expect anybody to "kiss my ass" just because I'm guiding or instructing.

In general I DO expect climbing partners to contribute to the outing in some fashion and buying gas or carrying stuff or whatever are examples of ways someone can do that but, more than anything else, I want my partners to be safe and fun to spend time with whether they are less experienced or more. If I've offered to guide someone all I really expect is that they are ready to go when they said they would be, genuinely intend to do whatever it is that we agreed to do, and that they have a good attitude about the whole thing. Paying their share of gas or carrying loads is part of that but "kissing ass" is really not the point.

If they have a succsful climb of Rainier, this thread will go to ten pages. here's to wishing them well.

In a good way or bad? I've had in the past 10 pages of badness to me on nwhikers... but back then it was a bad choice I made, I have lived... and learned and now am now much more responsible. :cool:

As for what everyone said... Thanks. Man there are so many replys it's hard to reply to them all. Well I've already been more responsible the past few trips I been on. Now my future is looking bright!

How did I miss this thread all this time?!?!?

Josh - I'm 16, I have full time job and pay for what I want + rent... 16 is not too young to work.

It sounds like you really want to hike/scramble, so don't be stupid and make people dislike you. I think its funny how you seem to have close calls over and over again.. do you not learn at least a little from each epic?

I do learn each time, it's just I make other mistakes, but there slowing down. So far I'm trying to be tamed, before I was not someone who was what one would call responsible. As for work... I'm in a very strange situation, my mom get's government support because she doesn't have a job, and if I get one, this would panilize us, and we would be even worse off. So I'm starting to work for my friend's dad and earning enough for gear so far.

OK, I know some people are serious and some people are joking, but I'd be careful telling someone to go out and "send it" regardless of their skill level.

I agree that many of us have done stupid shit, been lucky enough to live through it, and are now the wiser for it.

I read Josh's TR, and I'm honestly not sure whether he is bragging about that stupid shit, or whether he's dealing with some shit that few of us can understand, and heading up into the hills is a pretty tame escape. When I was 16 all I did was drink; I'm not sure his escape is worse.

I am often affraid to turn around because there is not much to look forward to for a long time once I go back home. A good example was a trip to Camp Muir. It was months until I went hiking again.

Edited by Josh Lewis

Prehaps the greatest thread of all time.

I laughed, I cried from laughing, I was amazed.

Josh, you took us all with you on a fantastic voyage, thank you.

Thanks! So which part would you call the fantastic voyage? Muir... the bike ride... I've got a few other tales. I also liked the time I hitched hiked home... When I'm old, I plan on having so many stories, I won't know which one to tell the young folks. :laf:

Now my future is looking bright!

to which Kurt (Feck) responded with the Timbuk3 vid, entitled The Future's So Bright (I Gotta Wear Shades).

As for the polluter video, his seemed a bit random to me

So now I ask you, Josh, how is Kurt's post so random? Seems pretty damned sequitur to me.

All you stupid bitches need to leave Josh alone.

He's a SIXTEEN YEAR OLD. Plenty old enough to be doing the shit he's doing.

You fucking gasbags are just jealous cos you dint start as young as he did.

just glad i'm not sixteen anymore...

Folks that want to "school" someone like Josh on the Internet crack me up. Josh: if you want to tag along for some rock climbing at Darrington some time, let me know. I might make you scrub some moss, though. How are you with a wire brush?

Most thoughtful post so far.

Edited by XXX

2. Don't take advantage of your partners/mentors...i'm sure you've heard this before but make sure you're kissing their ass. buy gas, bring them booze for after the climb, etc. just make sure you don't do anything stupid, take the heavy load, and make them want to climb with you again.

Sounds a bit like broke back mountain.