Is Mount Stuart Technicle?

Josh Lewis

• Replies 288
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How did I miss this thread all this time?!?!?

Josh - I'm 16, I have full time job and pay for what I want + rent... 16 is not too young to work.

It sounds like you really want to hike/scramble, so don't be stupid and make people dislike you. I think its funny how you seem to have close calls over and over again.. do you not learn at least a little from each epic?

OK bug, I was just joking about the "chimney" rap....

You know, we all did it at one time....

On another note you survived... Many others did not. Our spirit of this "sport" is in memory of those that did not "make it" in their persuit of the "sport".

"Far, du er altil med mig på the loftige steder..."

Josh: That's a Danish "i'm Sorry for being a rotten kid" euology. My Dad died Mountaineering, in his late 50's. He had the same spirit you do. Abandon safety, summits we shall seek!!!

No problem, Frik the Dick.

:laf:

I posted my stupidity to illustrate what can happen all too quickly. It was not really a response to your post as much as an attempt to give Josh a few extra moments of reflection.

Actually, I have not ever rapped off a chimney. But then, my parents' house was built in 1907.

Truely sorry about your Dad. It is sobering to think about it for the sake of my own two children.

Edited by Bug

I've always wondered how many people don't realize that I am also 16... my partners always seem to forget my age, often asking if I can drive out to meet them or if I want to stop at the Pub.

I never had a real 'mentor' bur I climb with a lot of very experienced climbers who I learn from a long the way... I think the closest thing to having a mentor was ice climbing with Don Serl, he more or less showed me how everything I was doing was wrong and how to (attempt to) do it right...

Also, my little brother has highly functional autism and I know what its like to be around a person with the disability. He is 12 but acts about 9 and most of his friends are a couple years younger than him. He isn't stupid but he certainly doesnt have the same logic/sense that we do. He won't notice simple and dangerous things like heavy traffic. We have to keep a close eye on him so that he doesn't get hurt... sounds like Josh may be the same way and in that case hiking or easy scrambling may be a safer thing for him than technical climbing... just my 2 cents.

OK, I know some people are serious and some people are joking, but I'd be careful telling someone to go out and "send it" regardless of their skill level.

I agree that many of us have done stupid shit, been lucky enough to live through it, and are now the wiser for it.

I read Josh's TR, and I'm honestly not sure whether he is bragging about that stupid shit, or whether he's dealing with some shit that few of us can understand, and heading up into the hills is a pretty tame escape. When I was 16 all I did was drink; I'm not sure his escape is worse.

I have been fortunate enough to meet a person or two on CC.com that have tought me some things. But, it's tough to wait. I've certainly challenged myself a time or two, perhaps even bit off too much. I don't mean going from Mt Tabor to Mt Rainier in a week, but still....

I guess these things are kind of a delicate balance. You need challenges, but they probably need to be realistic.

Would I climb with Josh on Adam's south side, South Sister, Shasta Avy Gulch....yes. Would I on Jeff, North Sis, Rainier.....maybe not yet.

I would hope nobody would write him off for his past mistakes, but of course he needs to prove himself with some good judgement in the future.

For feck's sake, the kid's sixteen-years-old and has a condition that makes his sixteen years accumulation of limited judgment all the more suspect. Be specific.

Josh Lewis, you endeavor to pursue an activity that has great potential to be substantially more dangerous than most sports. Where, in most other sports a fall will scrape a little skin, gravity wields death blows in this realm. And, not only by smashing your body against hard surfaces, but by smashing your precious head and face with hard stuff from above. You can easily cause those who care for you (your mama) great grief because extreme weather, anytime of the year, stuffed your electrocuted or frozen ass in a box and buried you. There is no grace extended (with exception of dumb luck) for who you are, for physical and/or mental disability, for being a good guy.

You, for reasons you've provided, MUST pursue requisite knowledge and skills through organizational courses AND adept climbing partners...mentors, if you like the term. The first several years, YOU cannot rely on luck because luck favors those that are knowledgeable and skilled. Luck, most often, puts a smackdown on the energetic and ignorant.

For you, employing the School of Hard Knocks, only, in your quest for experience will see you majoring in hospital bills, SAR fees, and a trail of ex-partners. Don't fuck around. Basic essentials stuffed into your brain are ten times more important than ten stuffed into your pack.

lol, you guys r so patronizing, it's pissing ME off.

For feck's sake, the kid's sixteen-years-old and has a condition that makes his sixteen years accumulation of limited judgment all the more suspect. Be specific.

You, for reasons you've provided, MUST pursue requisite knowledge and skills through organizational courses AND adept climbing partners...mentors, if you like the term. The first several years, YOU cannot rely on luck because luck favors those that are knowledgeable and skilled. Luck, most often, puts a smackdown on the energetic and ignorant.

lolz, u sure know a lot. God damn I'd be pissed off if somebody I never met talked about me like that, like he knew my whole fucking psychological profile. Youre a god damn shrink, aren't you? God, you sound like a wanker in that post.

Josh is too much of a dumbass to stand up for himself, apparently (Josh, you really do sound like a dumbass) so I'll say it myself.

You're all a bunch of douchebags. Suck it. :fahq:

Damn rob...

I agree with most of what Ponderosa said, just replace "MUST" with SHOULD. I really think the first 4 years or so of climbing is more dangerous due to the learning curve. Add to that inexperience, youth ,autism and ambition and you've got yourself an accident waitin' to happen.

Josh, please don't take all of the insults to heart (dumbass, stupid, etc.). I'm sure you have the best intentions and a love of the mountains, you are obviously highly motivated and eager. Just don't run out and get yourself killed due to inexperience and ambition.

By the way; I sure hope your parents get to read this thread! As a parent this whole thing scares the shit out of me.

Douchebag

Josh,

You can do whatever you want to in terms of climbing. The only thing you should do is try like mad to be honest with yourself about your own skills when you know you'll be pushing your personal ability level. Make sure you trust your climbing partners too ;)

You're young and enthusiastic now. Right on! I remember being that same way with climbing when I was a teenager. Remember there are a lot of risks with a hobby like climbing. Some risks should be really obvious (unprotected fall = death), while others are unforeseeable. That's the nature of climbing.

When I was a teen I pushed myself hard. Like so many things kids do at that age :brew: desire can easily get the better of you. Some lessons you need to learn the hard way, and that may be ok. On the other hand some lessons are harder than anyone needs to experience. Unfortunately I put myself in situation climbing when I was 19 where enthusiasm got the better of me. It's been a long time since then, but it's still a painful memory occasionally.

Anyway go climbing! Just make having fun the top priority. You can always come back again for a second round at the same route or mountain.

it is interesting that there are a lot of people who have advice to give. and/or make fun of advice givers. or make a tangential observation.

You mean like noting that it's time to start drinking? I hardly think that's a tengential observation. Scintillatingly brilliant, yes, but hardly tangential. I'm jus' sayin'... :whistle:

Hmm...I'm 15 but not really sure what to say here. Forgive me if what I say is repetitive I didnt read all of this whole thing.

Josh I'm sure your tired of hearing this but you gotta take time and grow up. And the thing about not telling your parents/brother while your running around in the mountain for three days...wtf? thats the stupidest thing i've ever heard in my life. look i was a ignorant little bastard as early as last summer just looking for rides and better climbers that can take me up harder routes (look at marcs baker nr tr) than what i'm capable of. what you find though after doing that for a while is that YOUR NOT GETTING BETTER. dont confuse luck with skill. anyone can get lucky. for example dont get lucky on a grad 2 and assume your ready for a grade 4 route.

sorry for babbling on but hears some random advice...

1. READ, READ, READ!!! i read freedom of the hills, climbing anchors by jon long, rock climbing by john long, and several books on navigation and wfr before even stepping foot into the hills. when I thought i was ready for leading i read advanced rock climbing and several other books on reading.

2. practice all the stuff on the ground. i know it sounds stupid but trust me. for example find a crag that has lots of cracks and practice building anchors and have an experienced climbing evaluate your skills after you've practiced. or go to snoqualmie in spring and practice self arrest, crevasse rescue, etc.

2. Don't take advantage of your partners/mentors...i'm sure you've heard this before but make sure you're kissing their ass. buy gas, bring them booze for after the climb, etc. just make sure you don't do anything stupid, take the heavy load, and make them want to climb with you again.

Hope this helps...forums are good places for advice but take everything with a grain of salt and have a fun SAFE time out there.