Is Mount Stuart Technicle?

Josh Lewis

• Replies 288
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The term technical usually refers to use of ropes and protection. Cascadian Couloir is non-technical. I wouldn't even say that a helmet is strictly necessary. Crampons are only necessary if you travel in the early morning when the snow is hard. It might be a good idea to bring them anyway.

helmets are always a good idea in the mtns. Same with ice axes unless there is zero chance of snow. Take someone who knows the area, you get along with and has good climbing skills.

the beckey guides to cascades mtns has all the route info you could need as well as photos of that side of the mtn. I bet you could get it from the library.

You might try nwhikers.net for trip reports on the Cascadian, they tend towards more scramble routes. Summitpost might be another alternative.

This link will get you started with one such report.

LOL!!!!!! I got banned from summitpost...

Edited by Josh Lewis

Josh be strait with folks here will ya!! or I will post some lnks to your dangerous shannagins!!! You came over to NWH after getting banned on SP (for cheating and driving folks nuts!) and we all took you in. Supported you and gave you much beta and advise. Then you started doing stupid dangerous stuff in the hills endangering others! They are not crazy over there they are trying to save you from getting killed or killing someone else.

I asked you to be truthful when coming to CC so folks can help you out. You are not being truthful!! You are a liability out there that is why you cannot find a partner.

Folks, he is a sweet 16yr old kid with a huge passion for the hills but has no experience but a handful of hikes and a couple of scrambles and the internet forums. He has had many close calls out there out of pure ignorance and VERY poor decision makeing. Even on hikes he gets in trouble! One for example: He followed a guided group he was not invited in up rainier, then followed some folks he had never met up into the glaciated area without proper gear and could have killed him self and/or his brother!

There are several others trips that almost top that! He was banned for 2 weeks because of crap he pulled and had folks all in an up roar. he has folks he has been out with and they will never go out there with him again.

He wants to climb the biggest peaks without the work to get to that point! He wants rides, training, and partners without the work to get it.

Josh folks care they are no crazy. BUT, if you keep burning your bridges you will be without a mentor and partners, and folks will stop caring!

I didn't want to do this but you are not being honest here.

You know I only wish the best for you kid and i hope some day your dreams will come true, but you have MUCH work to get to that point.

Sorry folks but I don't like to see him not being honest to you all. We tried over at NWH and it is like hitting your head on a brick wall!

You caught me! Well a few of those guys got angry just for asking about Stuart... they get very angry at me easy.... cascadeclimbers gave me answers, but nwhikers... they just got angry at me. Well I guess then you gotta do everything your self thse days.... ok, I can do that.

So then the final conclusion... I suppose I should wait until I'm 18 to be hiking...

Edit: But then again.... I can't live that long without adventure..... I need it! I need mountains!!!!! :cool:

Edited by Josh Lewis

Maybe you should wait until your technicles are fully descended.
Dru - What an incredible and thoughtful response! First he needs to learn how to spell technical, and then go burn off some of that testosterone with some babe. :hcluv:

Folks that want to "school" someone like Josh on the Internet crack me up. Josh: if you want to tag along for some rock climbing at Darrington some time, let me know. I might make you scrub some moss, though. How are you with a wire brush?

Matt some of us have offered to take him out and some have even done it! the ones who have done it say they won't go out with him anymore(minus a couple of suckers)or avoid him like the pleague. I even offered to take him out if his brother 18-19 came along.

Then the liability. He is 16 and if something happened to him...his mom could sue your ass! Something is ALWAYS happening to him even when he is with one of the, more experienced folks.

he just needs to slow down and take it like most folks do. Take the time to learn the skills or take a class which he claims he can't pay for. he claims he can't work at 16. I gave him free options to take a class. they wanted a guardian with him (liability). he has had GOBS of beta, support and good info from hundreds of folks in the hiking/scrambling/climbing community. He just does not listen! period! Its like talking to a brick wall!

I feel for the kid but, come on! I tell ya if he does here what he has done on SP and NWH you would understand. :)

I in no way want to discourage him (or pile) but want to let him know that being dishonest and not clear about his experience and age with you folks is not the right way to gain partners and a mentor that he really needs.

Edited by tazz

Josh, pm me in September. I'll take you out. When I was your age, I was mentored by some of the best Alpinists anywhere putting up some the world's cutting edge routes even though I had no clue. If you are into playing on a computer, forget NW hikers. They walk around in the woods and occasionaly scramble or traverse above treeline. Our range has a tradition of producing climbers that can hang with the Euros on the high peaks and you don't get there if you start climbing at age 35.

Tazz,

You should take a chill pill.

What would you have said to Fred and Helmey when as teenagers they spent ten days in the Pickets doing first ascents?

Should they have had a certified guide with them and carried MLUs?

Josh,

There are some quality people on CC who will help you learn some basics (e.g. MattP) if you don't abuse their good will.

Good luck surviving the early years. We all did some dumb stuff and managed to survive. Make sure you don't pay a big price or cause others to suffer because of your poor decisions.

Have some fun!

Thanks! :grin: I have become more responsible... but am still am ambishous! Thanks, I also have learned in organizations that you have to watch your every move in front of a mentor, always be on time, always be responsible, wear non cotton even if it's a weak hike (so that the mentor doesn't look down on you) , be strong, and do what he says even if it's not always the best decission... unless it is out right stupid! I've had a mentor take away my ice axe because "he hasn't seen me use one before" and then it got icy and steep and I ended up needing it, but had to make due with some yak tracks which I'm not a big fan of.

I feel for the kid but, come on! I tell ya if he does here what he has done on SP and NWH you would understand. :)

What can you "do" on a internet BB that is so horrendous?

Be irresponsible I suppose, ignore people's advice.... ;)

But no one on nwhikers ever told me to not ride a bike to the mountains, before camp muir I don't remember anyone (on nwhikers) tell me never to go into the fog on Rainier.... ok, some of it was irresponsible, but I still remember taking there advice. If I do something irresponsible that does'nt mean I'm not listen to one's advice, but I should be responsible though. The leasons have been learned, and I'm more responsible, so, Tazz, I don't think you should be as worried. I mean how am I suppose to go to the higher stuff if I don't take that step? I would bring someone up who is good at mountaineering before I go up Mount Stuart.

No rad he is NOOOOO fred or helmey!!!! You will see. Oh and i am as chill as can be. :cool: he knows what he has done. he openly admits it. BUT till i called him on it he was fibbin to yall. Or, more like omitting.

No, I don't think he should have a guide. I think he needs a VERY patient mentor. I am not a guide type of gal or even the type for a club. I like learning on my own too. thats why I feel for him. call me selfish but i just can't take Josh out and give him the guidance he needs. All I can do is help him out on the net as I have been for 3 yrs now. it seems soooo much longer!

have any of you read his reports... take your time and do so before you spout off that I need to chill :P . you will see.

this is one he took off without telling his mom or brother where he was going. his brother or friend comes to the site all distraught saying Josh is missing and they have no idea where he has been for 3 days! He was just asking about doing Columbia peak solo. So the forum community was worried.We told him Columbia is not a good one for him to do solo. we gave him many good options for some scramles then he come back and posts this!

http://www.hikrs.com/blog?pid=3&view=comments

yeah he has ambition and drive and passion for the mountains.And thats quite a trip. But when you don't learn from your mistakes and keep making more of the same it gets a bit ...old!

Josh I sooo hope you can find your mentor and take your time learning the ropes. I have told you before you don't have to jump from the net with your beta and climb Rainier! Start with finding good partners and mentors and kiss their ass! Do everything they say. Shit when they say shit, eat when they say eat and more. i know you get what I am saying but put it into action and show folks you are not as silly as as you come off here on the net.

Oh and to the egomaniac the slammed me, SP and the NWH. I didn't know you had to be a 5.12 FA person to fit in here. I guess my 5.9-5.10 is not good enough. Damn! I thought the name of this place was CASCADE climbers.com not ROCKclimbers.com. I don't know who you are but i think it is hilarious! LOTS of great "climbers who post there and will not post here due to ego drive fools like you. Kiss my arse!! :provoke: hehehe....

hang in there Josh. You WILL get up them someday! You know I will always be around if ya need me. Your a good kid. ;)

Good luck and enjoy folks!