rappel in the middle of asgard pass

mountainsloth

This is humorous but also sad.

Sad because you guys leave no room for mistakes and sad because you burn way too much energy flaming Kevbone.

I don't really know any of you. Nor do I know Kevbone. I can't tell much difference between your posts and Kevbones.

This whole site is dedicated to to the testosterone enhanced inanities of climbing and the commentary that Howard Cosell would have provided.

You are more alike than you know.

But keep on posting that way if it scratches that itch for you.

To stay on topic, please limit the amount of garbage you leave in the wilderness. Especially in heavily used places like Asgard Pass. It does not take much work to pick your way around those cliffs in order to avoid leaving slings. Also bury your shit and pee on big rocks so the goats don't dig it up for the salt and kill a bunch of plants in the process.

Flame on.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i completely agree that we need to watch the crap we leave around in the mountains. it's our responsibility to keep them clean, and maybe this does mean not rapping in the middle of aasgard pass! but i'll be the last to judge colin as he is an excellent climber.

i'll also be the first to admit that i've done stupid or unnecessary things too! i'm human, just like everyone else on this site. we all need to go though a process of learning. two years ago i wouldn't have thought twice about leaving "another" sling at a rap station without cleaning some old ones. now, i'd never leave a new sling without cleaning most, if not all, the old ones. colin has been rock climbing for about 5 years, but this is the first year he has really gotten into alpine rock. he is learning much faster than most and i commend him for that!

same question for shit for brains up there...

Sad because you guys leave no room for mistakes and sad because you burn way too much energy flaming Kevbone.

I don't really know any of you. Nor do I know Kevbone. I can't tell much difference between your posts and Kevbones.

This whole site is dedicated to to the testosterone enhanced inanities of climbing and the commentary that Howard Cosell would have provided.

Je ne comprends pas, Motherfucker.

There are much better things to do with my time Kev.

Je ne comprends pas, Motherfucker.

OK lets sum up so we can stop the bitching....

-Minimize shit left in the wilderness by making good decisions and picking up after others

-People do strange things in the mountains

-De-gumbifying one's self takes time... we've all been there

-Cascade climber's forums are often bitch-fests (myself not excluded)

• 5 months later...

If the guy wants to rap Aasgard Pass, who am I to tell him no? Only comment I have is why rap anchors when in the photo there are perfectly good trees to put the rope around? Its not like you're top roping off them, just rapping. I'll take a tree over a bolt anyday. Whatever, as long as you're having fun and out there doing it, you are heads and tails above ninely percent of us setting on our arses reading about it.

I can sort of see how someone might choose to rap from where they were, rather than bushwack and rim-run to get to a trail. Depending on time of day, fatigue, etc., sometimes it seems a shortcut is hard to resist.Although from the picture it looks like they had plenty of daylight left; maybe a combination of laziness and just a what-the-hell impulse.

Time and fatigue can make it hard to employ good judgement. Years ago, a friend and I wound up bivouacing on a steep slope about 1:30 in the morning, after getting rimrocked descending from a climb of the Chisel on McClellan Ridge. It had been a long, beastly hot day and we ran out of water. As we descended, darkness caught us, and all too soon our headlamp batteries gave out.(This was in the late 60's, when headlamps and battery cases were big metal affairs that took only D-size batteries.) We could hear Icicle Creek, but couldn't tell how much farther down it was, or what was between us and the trail, which runs right beside the creek. We were pretty burned out by that point and didn't feel like rapping off into the darkness with no way to tell how far down it was.

We had to put in a few pins and tie our bags into a steeply sloping ledge. After spending a miserable night burning with thirst, all balled up in the bottom of our sleeping bags, we awoke in the morning to find that we were less than a hundred yards from the creek and the trail, with an easy slope below us, rather than a bottomless cliff as it had appeared to be in the dark. After running down to the creek and drinking all the water we could hold, we were back at the car in less than an hour.

Now that you have the anchor you might as well put in several bolts and do the FA on this RAD sport line!

Exactly. If you participate in sport climbing, tell me how it is you can get all bent out of shape over rap anchors, when you advocate this:

414bolt-rash.gif

Where's the outrage?

Obsess much, Pope?

But seriously, we're complaining about a couple of slings around a tree and a fixed rap line as an alternative to hiking down a trail. Let me remind the contributors to this chorus:

1. While offensive, there certainly are bigger impacts to worry about, like highways, ski resorts, global warming, space junk....and did I mention.... SPORT CLIMBING?

2. Perhaps we should view such developments with open minds. Recall that sticky rubber, kernmantle ropes, cam nuts and even 12-point crampons were intially scorned by the old guard. We would be wise to recognize cutting-edge applications of technology when they appear. I'll bet even pioneers like C.G. and A.W. wouldn't object (you know who I'm talking about).

3. Like SPORT CLIMBING, rap descents are just another mode of mountain travel, increasing our choices. Impacts notwithstanding, sliding down a rope next to a perfectly good hiking trail is REALLY FUN! I suggest those of you who shit all over our rocks with power-drilled, rap-placed bolts remember the following: IT'S ALL GOOD!