rappel in the middle of asgard pass

mountainsloth

does anyone know why someone would be rapping down a 50 ft cliff in the lower section of asgard pass in the middle of 2 perfectly negotiable paths on either side?

During my trip out there we saw a guy rappelling all by himself down this tiny bit of rock! WTF? Turns out there are rap anchors on top!

Picture_0451.jpg

its the small cliff right below the trees in the middle of the pass.

Picture_050.jpg

this is a closer look at the cliff from the climber's left hand side.

Thoughts?

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Turns out there are rap anchors on top!

Must have been put in by one of the branches of the Mountaineers Club.

I've personally watched veteran Mountaineer Club Leaders install rap anchors in some pretty silly spots to get themselves down from a climb.

Jeremy,

I am one of the 3 guys from Seattle that was on Serpentine that day with you and Salz. The guy who was rapping was one of ours. He only had tennis shoes for the hike down and he was picking his way down on the earthy terrain. We weren't on the "main" trail for most the way. He got cliffed out and decided to just rappell instead of walking around.

I saw this forum title and laughed.

CHICO

Holy sweet baby Jesus! That almost gave me the shits I was laughing so hard! :)

Truly Awesome!

So that solves one mystery, but there is still one other to figure out...

There is an anchor up there with 3 pieces of webbing! I know this because on the way up the pass I noticed there WAS a single strand of rope dangling down the cliff as an emergency rap. I found it to be god awful looking and decided if it was still there when we came back down two days later that I would retrieve it. Sure enough it was still there on the return so I scrambled up there to set it free. Turns out the rope had to have been up there for at least a year because the bottom half of the rope was buried under a massive amount of snow, so much that I could not excavate it. So its still up there piled up at the base of the cliff if any good Samaritan wants to bring it down and throw it away. It is sun-baked to shit and quite weather worn.

Edited by mountainsloth

ah, i do remember colin mentioning the rope... he tried to retrieve it after his rappel but said it wasn't going anywhere. as a matter of fact, i'm almost positive i remember colin mentioning that the rappel was an easy option BECAUSE there was already a bunch of slings there!

good times at aasgard pass!

o yeah, now there are 4 slings since colin backed it up...

Edited by toddtsuyoshi

Todd, I know you did not personally rap the route, but WTF! he backed up the anchor with yet another piece of webbing! Honestly, I inspected all 3 pieces of webbing and would have personally taken whippers on any one of them. If I was smart and brought a knife up to the anchor I would have removed them all. A fourth piece is severely over-doing it.

Anyway, you guys climbed with us in style and never sent anything down on us, so I really can't give you any crap.

Keep climbing, and help minimize the garbage we leave in the wilderness.

Turns out there are rap anchors on top!

Must have been put in by one of the branches of the Mountaineers Club.

I've personally watched veteran Mountaineer Club Leaders install rap anchors in some pretty silly spots to get themselves down from a climb.

So was it those nefarious Mounties...... or Colin? It's OK if he does it, but not them, right?

i completely agree that we need to watch the crap we leave around in the mountains. it's our responsibility to keep them clean, and maybe this does mean not rapping in the middle of aasgard pass! but i'll be the last to judge colin as he is an excellent climber.

i'll also be the first to admit that i've done stupid or unnecessary things too! i'm human, just like everyone else on this site. we all need to go though a process of learning. two years ago i wouldn't have thought twice about leaving "another" sling at a rap station without cleaning some old ones. now, i'd never leave a new sling without cleaning most, if not all, the old ones. colin has been rock climbing for about 5 years, but this is the first year he has really gotten into alpine rock. he is learning much faster than most and i commend him for that!

Who cares?

everyone participating in the discussion, obviously.

stick to spray, boner.

This is not a discussion. It is a bitch session directed at the few who are not as good as the rest of you. So they wanted to rap some rock. Why do you care?