WTB Pika Hand Drill

shapp

WTB In good shape at reasonable price a Pika hand drill (2 set screw model). Looking to by one local (about Mt. Vernon to Seattle area) so I can look at it before buying. You know you aint going to be putting up any routes with it cause that takes too much work, so give up the goods.

Thanks,

jshappart "at" g mail dot com

Edited by shapp

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You know you aint going to be putting up any routes with it cause that takes too much work, so give up the goods.

LOL! The truth!

Replacement_wedge_anchor.jpg

I've been putting in 1/2" x 6-1/4" long stainless wedge anchors lately. I've been wondering how many weeks it would take to hand drill that.

Ho!, That is about as long as an average man pecker! I'm talking about shorter bolts in granite in the wilderness, so hand drill is needed so the MAN doesn't bust me and stick one of those peckers in my A**

Edited by shapp

LOL! Ho man, I pray nightly mine will someday grow to that length!!LOL!! 1/4 x 1-1/4 for granite FA'S is still de rigor these days if one mans up and isn't a *cough* cough* rap bolting *cough* pussy!!!!

Lil_Dawg_3_14_09_resized.jpgScott_Drilling_the_anchor_bolts_on_The_Drop_Zone_resized_smaller.jpgHappy_bolter_045.jpgbolt_size_half_inch_x_7.jpg

Jason, you might consider looking for a used A5 Hurricane drill (I got Neil Young on singing "like a Hurricane but I'm getting blown away" right now) or a Petzl Rocpec. I haven't used a Pika, but I "believe" both of these are better than the Pika based on 3rd hand info. Of course, when one believes, one is basically just talking out ones ass. I do this well.

Middendorf thought that the Hurricane was the best drill ever invented, but the Petzl is now better.

og3.JPG

Not that anyone - especially me, is gonna tell Deuce that....I do have both of them though. Sure - I've been drinking.....but it's Friday and all.

http://www.deuce4.net/web/HMWbrochure.pdf

The Hurricane was an amazing drill for it's time as you could easily change bits and you could also stuff about any bit you found in your garage in it and it would work regardless of how stupid you were. This may not sound like much, but as I type this I have a dim (witted)memory of stuffing a tapered bit into my Rawl holder because I NEEDED a sharp bit (bad preplanning) that very weekend and thats the only rock bit I could find in my basement. Of course, now the F***ing thing I stuffed in there didn't go far enough to there the drift pin would pop it out so I was thereafter fucked for eternity. I have this useless drill and bit combo laying there to this day as an errant reminder of my shortsighted stupidity and miserly ways (a real man would have just tossed it out when he screwed that pooch, instead of thinking "Oh - someday, I'll take a torch to it and expand it and that stuck bit will just fall out like manna from heaven" blah blah blah)

Anyway, I hear that the weakness of the Pika, is that you have to hold the bit on with set screws. Of course, you are hanging and wanging and the @%^%^%X&X*&** thing chooses to loosen up due to the vibration: always. When it chooses to do this to you, you'd damn well better have the correct tool to re-tighten it up as you are standing there with your calves burning looking at horribly splattering on a sharp outcropping 100 feet below, or you will be screwed.

l_615419_s05_000.jpg[/img]

The Petzl has a knurled collet you just grab, squeeze and turn. It's that easy and it just works. This pic doesn't do the simplicity of this motion justice.

TRY THIS ONE:

hand-drill.jpg

Very sexy and soon your hole is drilled and filled and you will be laughing at the 100' death defying drop and laughing, I say laughing and not just a chuckle but deeply and robustly, for even in the face of death as the pee dribbles down your leg and the fear subsides, you have manned up, overcame AND SENT!!!!!

Course, maybe that excites you, that you are in the middle of drilling and the bit is loose and you have no way in hell of making it work, and you still want a Pika. If that were truly the case and I had one I'd sell it quickly to you then.

I have it on good authority that the double set screw Pika is the driller of D-Town choice, based on the many penetrations by Hanman with his Pika inseminator and 24 oz ballpeen nightmare! The good ones have an integrated allen wrench swaged in the keeper loop. Regarding Petzel, we all know the Frenchmen's ability to penetrate anything but small boys is questionable, and thefore, on its face, the Petzel drill can be discounted.

Edited by shapp