• Announcements

• olyclimber

WELCOME TO THE CASCADECLIMBERS.COM FORUMS   02/03/18

We have upgraded to new forum software as of late last year, and it makes everything here so much better!  It is now much easier to do pretty much anything, including write Trip Reports, sell gear, schedule climbing related events, and more. There is a new reputation system that allows for positive contributors to be recognized,  it is possible to tag content with identifiers, drag and drop in images, and it is much easier to embed multimedia content from Youtube, Vimeo, and more.  In all, the site is much more user friendly, bug free, and feature rich!   Whether you're a new user or a grizzled cascadeclimbers.com veteran, we think you'll love the new forums. Enjoy!
Sign in to follow this  
counterfeitfake

Which is more trad?

tradder  

93 members have voted

1. 1. tradder

Bleeding is the result of attempting to climb cracks with sporto technique.

Bonington to Robbins: "I suppose you can tell who the aid chaps are by the scars on their hands?"

Robbins to Bonners: "Actually the best aid climbers are the ones without the scars."

Or something like that - on the BBC in the 60s.

Cutting your hands is usually the result of inexperience and bad technique. Tape is aid. You can develope your technique at an improved rate by not taping.

You'll find that birth control pills will interrupt your monthly cycle, therefore bleeding is more traditional.

I don't consider it rock climbing unless I leave a little DNA behind. No blood...it's 4th class scrambling.

If you are doing alpine in the Cascades and your legs aren't bleeding from the schwacking by the end of the trip, then you are doing it wrong!

Bleeding is the result of attempting to climb cracks with sporto technique.

Cutting your hands is usually the result of inexperience and bad technique.

A commonly voiced opinion, but one I think is mostly spray.

There is something you can use instead of tape...

Technique

Hands bleed because they slip. They slip because your jam sucks. Stop sucking, stop bleeding.

Technique

Hands bleed because they slip. They slip because your jam sucks. Stop sucking, stop bleeding.

listen up, people, the king of all gumbies is speaking here!

If Bridwell and Bard are tough enough and pure enough to use tape for cracks, then i'm with them.

Technique

...Oh Shit! That climb is 5.10!

Where'd I put my tape?

Technique

Oh Snap!

If you aren't bleeding, you probably have better technique than some scabbed up gumby that bled on the same thing.

Oh Snap!

Whoa there, learning from Fender made me the gumby I am today, and I am grateful.

Tape is for pasty Northwesterners when they go to Indian Creek.

I heard Donini tapes at IC. Slander? (now libel?)

At any rate, this is not a tape-is-aid discussion. For one thing, aid is pretty damn trad. For another, you have much more skin from which to bleed, than merely that on your hands.

backtape.jpganklepro.jpg

If Bridwell and Bard are tough enough and pure enough to use tape for cracks, then i'm with them.

Jens - I agree, apparently one has to experience the sharp crystals of the quartz monzonite of JT to appreciate the use of tape.

People are letting their red badge of pride show. Dont tape if you know how to climb. I only do when I know it is going to be a complete meat grinder.

be sure to jam your bloody hands into the bird crap infested cracks to achieve maximum sepsis points.