Trip: Devore, Tupshin, Flora -

Date: 7/5/2009

Trip Report:

TR: Devore, Tupshin, Flora

June 30-July 4

3691075694_42fdca246d.jpg

Moonrise over larches (Devore Basin)

“Hey Grandpa!”

I turned, dripping from a sex changing dip in Lake Chelan. The three year old toe headed boy looked up from his machete work amongst the bracken fern, saw I wasn’t who he thought I was, and ran.

Or maybe the little bastard was just pitching me some.

Ah, Tupshin. Readily accessible, quality rock in a pristine alpine setting. Who doesn’t have this jewel on their tick list? Sure, the OCD listees all go for it, because the hungry little squirrel spinning in their fevered brains WILL NOT SHUT UP, but I’d never let such a merit badge fetish erode my effete climbing aesthetics.

Still, I had a promised Rainier ascent to dodge, so I suggested to my buddy Jess that we book tickets on the Lady II instead, with promises of a tan and a true Cascadian experience. Plus, while Jess and I had scrambled some peaks before, he’d never worn a harness or crampons. That clearly needed to change.

So we loaded up the Pua’a, my double inflatable sea kayak (with its surprise $24 luggage surcharge…who the hell ever reads the whole website?), and headed out pre-dawn for Field’s Point.

3691076088_982cec51c7.jpg

The Voyage

3691075920_438ce2dca2.jpg

The Pua’a

After landing at the campground across the Lake from Stehekin, we hobbled the boat by partial deflation and up we went, timing our ascent perfectly with the heat of the day. The Devore Creek trail quickly provides an unmatched introduction to local botany.

3690267247_46f11c925f.jpg

Not photoshopped. Douglas Maple that’s apparently been sleeping around Acer glabrum douglasii (Devore Creek)

3691076246_d7e6df60f6.jpg

3690268353_dc5701a8df.jpg

Boisduval's blue butterfly Plebejus icarioides (Bird Creek)

After a quiet night at Bird Creek Camp, we bashed up the right side of Bird Creek through fairly open forest to the basin at 5400’, cached rope and rack, turned left, and ascended a broad gulley/debris fan that took use directly to Devore’s flanks. It might have been a better choice a week or two earlier, before the top 50 feet of steep mud over rock had melted out, but hey, I didn’t have time for a whole lot of approach research beforehand. What the hell; it gave Jess a chance to become familiar with his ax and crampons.

3691076186_71b9aa1145.jpg

The hard way up to Devore from Bird Creek

There’s a little 30 foot step of 4th that’s interesting near Devore’s summit, but otherwise it’s a standard rockpile scramble with a spectacular view.

3691075220_5238003f4d.jpg

Jess closes in on Devore

3690268477_b0b40813ae.jpg

Purple Saxifrage Saxifraga Oppositifolia (Devore Summit)

3691075472_b6265cf0d2_o.jpg

Jess on Devore. Tupshin in the background

That evening I wandered away from our bivvy in Devore Basin to shoot pics and maybe, just maybe, stumble upon the tourist route down….or not.

3690268047_4e8d308a43.jpg

Columbia Lewisia with issues Lewisia Columbiana (Devore Basin)

3690267799_7607a60519.jpg

Larch twig with issues Larix occidentalis (Devore Basin)

3691074770_314a91f351_o.jpg

Tupshin and larch burl (Devore Basin)

The following morning we tediously reversed our up route, picked up our gear, and headed up zig zagged our way up from there to the Sound of Music set and the East Face of Tupshin.

3691075028_c61595d4a7.jpg

Alien attack (7000’ point, SE ridge of Tupshin)

3690267683_6c6dc40a58.jpg

Jess on Tupshin

We played so much Choss Toss enroute I’m surprised there wasn’t a pile of dead goats at the base afterwards. I think the peak is actually 3 feet shorter now.

3690267479_f91a47c496_o.jpg

Jess on the NE ridge of Tupshin

There is no snow near the summit (just a deep pile of very loose party favors for anyone below you), so leave your ax at the base.

I still feel a little guilty about the abruptness of Jess’s first live fire rap exercise.

“This rope is a baby dangling off of a 10,000 cliff, and the mother is pressing the barrel of a .357 magnum against your temple. Drop the baby and see what happens. If you flip upside down, don’t let go. If a tiny alien spacecraft flies up your asshole, don’t let go. Any questions?”

I did go down first to clear snarls, toss choss, and yard on the rope in the event of any screaming, but still.

ROUTE NOTES:

To start: Find the long gulley center face. Find the large conical rock outcrop just right of the gulley’s base. Find two parallel ramps trending up and to the right, about 50’ right of the rock outcrop. Scramble the lower ramp to the small trees (1st belay station).

The following refers to Klenke’s description on Summitpost.org:

Regarding the 3 alternatives above the ‘chockstone’ pitch. Rounding the NE ridge provides a great exposure photo op. The leftmost option is faster: easy with a move or two of low 5th on solid rock with good holds. (I climbed it, too, to unstick a rap rope). Unless you’re the last one down, it’s best to take cover rather than clip into any of the rap anchors, all of which are in the center of the bowling lane. A 60 m rope doesn’t quite make it to all the rap anchors, but no worries: the downclimbing is easy.

After bivvying at our 5400’ cache in Bird Creek, we stomped back down to Bird Creek Camp to discover it occupied, in absentia, by a well appointed party of 4. While caching our climbing gear for the duration, Jess floated the idea of climbing Flora that afternoon to open up a full day of rest before going back to the grind, so up trail we went.

After a beautiful hike (the upper Devore Creek trail is everything the lower portion is not), we eviction-noticed our overnight gear trailside at 4700’, crossed Devore Creek at 4950’ (where the trail begins diverging) and commenced stomping up the sweltering deadfall at a bearing of 100 MN. After 1200 feet of flatulent flagellation were apparently imploded through our own assholes and we reborn in the floral Elysian Fields of the upper basin, over which our rapt, disembodied spirits floated until a wide, 500’ high talus fan punched us back into the sorry remains of our steaming mortal coils, depositing them pissed, salted, and hungry at a 7460’ pass; the gateway to the sublime Castle Creek basin and Flora’s contrasting desolation.

After scrambling down a few hundred feet of 3rd class nonsense, we dropped all the way down beelined for the objective. Our return route would have been better: descending to around 6400’, then traversing larch/snow/talus benches all the way around to Flora’s SW ridge (yes, it goes, even though it looks like it dead ends…just BELIEVE).

3691075316_2ba83af809.jpg

Queso de Flora. Go Bears!

3691076034_6ef6f3865c.jpg

Sunset over White Goat Mountain (Pass 7500’)

3690266841_8049e89f98.jpg

3690267877_49c9360ac7_o.jpg

Silver bordered fritillary Boloria selene (Devore Creek)

3691982258_4c979cf880.jpg

Log Rolling (Devore Creek)

The long days, tough terrain, and heat never seemed to shake Jess’s streetwise sense of humor and bottomless energy. His feet took a bit of a beating from soft boots and tight crampons, but it was nothing that a few stogies and a bucket of KFC couldn’t sooth.

So if you’ve a mind to go to a seldom visited part of the Cascades (except maybe during the 4th), slap some bushes, dodge some rocks and a psychotic bumble bee or two (WTF?), consider this area…then cut yourself some slack and book a cheap flight to Hawaii instead.

Gear Notes:

Used No 1 camalot, smaller tech friend, even smaller TCU, crampons, axe, poles, food hang line, Floating Pig, $24 extra bucks.

Approach Notes:

Bring a floating pig!

Edited by tvashtarkatena

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

“This rope is a baby dangling off of a 10,000 cliff, and the mother is pressing the barrel of a .357 magnum against your temple. Drop the baby and see what happens. If you flip upside down, don’t let go. If a tiny alien spacecraft flies up your asshole, don’t let go. Any questions?”

That's the best instructions I've ever heard. I've got to remember that one