First attempt on Mt. Rainier

Jesse_Dawg

Hey All

I will be attempting Rainier towards the end of July, I know that chances are that the snow quality will probably be pretty bad. Anyways my question is which route should I attempt? I have a good amount of technical rock climbing experience, am pretty fit (workout 4-6 times a week with weights and run about 25 miles a week) and I have climbed Mt. Hood a few times.

Thanks for your time.

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

By the end of July your best options are either the DC via Muir or the Emmons. These are the two std routes. Both will require some traversing because of crevases but will there will be a well trodden path to follow. Not much of a wilderness experience but probably you best bet. If conditions are good about the only other route I would suggest is the Kaltz Glacier but it more than likely be sun cups to hell.

Just got back from the Muir/DC route today. Above the cleaver there is already significant crevasses that require a traverse over to the Emmons, and then MORE traversing due to MORE crevasses above on the Emmons. The top of the cleaver (the finger?) is already starting to melt out, which apparently doesn't happen till much later in the season, according to an RMI guide we were speaking with (I was not with a guided group, just chatting). He indicated the DC route might be shut down much earlier this year due to all these dang crevasses and potential rockfall on the cleaver. That said, the route had a great boot track with plenty of headlamps to help guide the way...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Reached the summit four days ago. The conditions were good, the snow was great in the morning. I did the DC route, and there is a boot path that is clearly marked from Muir. I would scout out the DC because I found it somewhat difficult to find the exact route down during the decent.