Gear Checklist for Rainier or Similar Mountain

WadeTheBuilder

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Check the RMI website, they have a good checklist.

Don't mind the overprotective mothers on the board, if you're asking a question like this it sounds to me like you're being responsible and planning ahead. Have a great time up there.

Actually we have some experience but are looking for someone to come along that has more experience. The guide services are booked up, anyone have other ideas of how to find / compensate someone to head up with us?

When is your proposed trip? I've done Rainier once or twice and could be convinced to lead a rope. I also have a gear list I could send if you give me your email address. Bighurtbob@hotmail.com.

Nate F had a good idea. You can get other suggested gear lists online (Alpine Ascents, AMGA, etc) if you enter Mount Rainier climbing gear list...it will give you multiple possibilities. Then you can decide on group vs. personal gear. I still use lists to make sure I didn't forget something important for a trip. I trust you also know how to safely use the gear (self arrest, crevasse rescue, etc.) Good luck on your climb!

One thing that I found very useful is a collapsible water tank by Platypus or similar. I carried it empty up to Muir and then melted snow to fill it so I didn't have to melt any in the morning. It's nice to have extra water to use in the morning. Or some waiting when you get back to high camp.

I second the Platypus. It is so nice to fill it with Gatorade and hydrate on the fly. You just have to keep it away from sharp objects and not pull out the mouthpiece on accident(cold Gatorade showers are no fun...at least alone).

adding to that - if it's cold be sure to drain the fluid in the tube back down to the reservoir after each use. even an insulated tube will freeze quickly in low temps and moderate winds. if the tube does freeze you can always just pull the bladder out of your pack and open it up to drink, not the end of the world..

Edited by NateF

get a hydration bladder with a lock on the bite vavle so you can keep it in the tent without at worry of putting pressue on it and soaking things...Platypus's are nice but prefer the MSR or Camlebak...larger opening is easier to fill and clean plus you can lock the bite valve