[TR] Mt Adams - Adams Glacier 6/27/2009

Drederek

Trip: Mt Adams - Adams Glacier

Date: 6/27/2009

Trip Report:

My friend Ed talked me into climbing the Adams glacier with his son and him last weekend. The weather was glorius, almost too good. Left Oly about 9am and were stopped by snow on the road about 3 1/2 miles from the Killen creek TH. Undeterred we packed up and headed off.

We made it to our camp in the meadow at 6800 by 5 and relaxed, drank water and poked around a bit. In bed at 9 with the alarm set for 3.

It appeared the route followed the right side and thats pretty much what we did, weaving back and forth a bit. Only had one baseball sized rock come whizzing thru at 55 mph+. The route was in perfect condition, we were on top by 10:30, no need to rush or use a second tool (although you'd have a very tough time without one if it was iced up).

The descent down the north ridge was truly appalling in places, what a pile! It seemed to take longer to walk down than ascend.

We got back to camp about 2:30 and layed around for about an hour then packed up to leave. Thats when people started showing up, a couple parties before we left and more that we walked by on the trail.

It was a long walk out with extra bit down the road (which was now torn up by 4 wheelers) and we were eating dinner in Randle by 8.

00000015.JPG

Edited by Drederek

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Certainly the crevasses will have opened more, they were mostly closed last month. Don't have a clue if you'll be going a little or a lot farther along them to cross now, sorry. We didn't go over anything even remotely dicey and didn't hear a peep outta the big serac we walked by. I'll bet someone out there has fresher beta.