Go or no for the week of July 6th?

dagoober

So all the plans are in place. All four of us time have cleard our schedules, made arrangements for family concerns etc. The permit in in hand with 4 days on the hill (3 at Ingraham flats), and now the weather is looking suspect. The weather models are inconclusive and perhaps a little far out today to be decisive, but the temps will be dropping and cloudly, perhaps rain/snow showers will be settling in through Thursday.

noaa summary

http://forecast.weather.gov/product.php?site=NWS&issuedby=SEW&product=AFD&format=CI&version=1&glossary=1

(Plus the outher usual suspects for extended forecasts.)

Our permit has us starting on Monday the 6th. A call to Longmire was less than productive in trying to make ANY changes work that would push out a couple of days into the weekend.

I have only been up the hill to the top two times before, and don't consider myself an expert by any means in projecting conditions above 10k, but the last time we were up, a nice sea of clouds settled in at about 8k and it was clear above to the summit with moderate wind.

I am leaning twords going, if for no other reason being that this is THE window we have carved out of everyones busy schedules. I would appreciate any thoughts from others with more experience than me with summer conditions on Rainer under these weather circumstanes. Thanks in advance for your response.

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sometimes the conditions are the lower part of the hill are sidesways piss. Higher up is blue bird with a breeze. The hill makes its own weather.

Twice I have walked up from Muir in piss and found descent weather the next day. The last time was 10 years when I took a friend up the hill. Raining at Paradise when we started. The morning we left the Flats for the summit it was cloudless.

Of course I have also started out the day with blue bird skies and spent the night on top in a raging white out.

So as said go for it. Besides if the weather is clear it is just a walk. If the weather is shit it is an adventure.

Yeah, you guys are right. Whats the worst that can happen? Tent bound on Ingraham flats for 3 nights? That sounds like it beats the crap out of mowing the lawn and my honey do list, wondering why in the hell we pussed out and could-a should-a second thoughts. I called em all, they saw the light...were going.

Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

We made it. The weather was pissing fog up to Muir. The next day on the flats was a little snow and we had our doubts. At 1:00 am the stars were out and the cloud line at about 10500 with no wind.

We were on the summit at 9:30. A great climb and great luck with the weather.DSCN2339.JPG