no crampons??

musky333

I summitted Hood last Tuesday, south side about 8:00 AM. As I started down the chute, I noticed a guy about 60 feet down, that was sitting on his butt. He held his ax on the right side of his body,spike of his ice ax pointing out, pick down, holding his position as he reached his feet down to the next step and slid his butt down each step.As I got down to him, I went off to the side and noticed that he was not wearing crampons.I stayed out of his fall line as I descended, expecting him to lose it any time.Once we got down to the Crater Rock to pick up the poles we left there, I looked up and saw he had a couple hundred feet to go and then he went for a slide, appearing to go all the way down. Couldn't see what happened to him , the Hogsback being in the way from that angle, but there were other people in that area if he was hurt. Ever see anyone that high up without crampons? We had 35 degree temp when we left Timberline at 2:00 AM.This was one day after the two inch snowfall . We put on crampons at the top of the ski area and had hard conditions all the way up. I may be new, but I still couldn't imagine how he got up there without crampons.

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sadly I'm not surprised.....I've seen quite a few things up on Hood's southside. It's famous for this type of thing.....There and Avalanche Gulch on Shasta. It's even worse there, because you get every yahoo out of San Francisco Bay Area coming up there in blue jeans ready to tackle the mountain. They actually have climbing rangers up there that watch out for these guys, it's such a problem.....

This January on Hood's southside we saw a dude without crampons or ice axe make the summit. He used rocks that he dug up in the Hot Rocks by the Hogsback as "picks" to help him ascend the chute. He carried a parachute and was planning on base jumping off the top. (This is not a joke). Once on top, he decided that the base jump was not worth it, and enlisted a couple strangers to lower him down the chute with their rope that had been brought in case of emergency. Not cool. This was the same day that the guy fell in the Pearly Gates and broke an ankle. Hood attracts all sorts of folk.

dude, how can you not enjoy a mountain and a route that attracts so many high-powered mutants that god never even considered mass producing? remember that dude a decade ago that spent 3 days chopping his way up the sunshine route w/ a bowie knife in blue jeans n' cowboy boots only to fall ass over teakettle down the southside? seeing folks like that is like seeing the beating, bleeding heart of the baby-jesus lord himself!

Wow, great stuff.

My best buddy climbed SS without crampons once when we realized that they didn't fit over his ski boots. The Pearly Gates were pretty icy that day too, but large steps kicked in. Plus I loaned him my 2nd tool, so all in all I don't think it compares to the dude with the rocks. (but still pretty stupid...)

One year at the Pearly Gates I ran into two guys who got lost on the summit ridge. That was kinda funny but it was a bit of a white out. I spent 15 minutes on top and headed down. Got to the Pearly Gates and here comes my partner with no crampons but two axes. Behind him was my other partner with crampons but no ice axe. Warren did not want to nick his new leather boots with his crampons so he decided not to use them. Dale did not want Warren to fall so he gave him is axe. That was really funny and we all laughed as we went to summit. (Yes I went back up to the summit).

dude, how can you not enjoy a mountain and a route that attracts so many high-powered mutants that god never even considered mass producing? remember that dude a decade ago that spent 3 days chopping his way up the sunshine route w/ a bowie knife in blue jeans n' cowboy boots only to fall ass over teakettle down the southside? seeing folks like that is like seeing the beating, bleeding heart of the baby-jesus lord himself!

I would like to know what you smoke/snort/drink before you post around here so I could understand at least part of it. :toad::toad::brew::brew::brew::chebit::crazy::crazy::)

I would like to know what you smoke/snort/drink before you post around here so I could understand at least part of it. :toad::toad::brew::brew::brew::chebit::crazy::crazy::)

it's a fool who looks for logic in the chambers of the human heart :)

my favorite cramponless ascent of the hoodwand was when i fell down the west crater rim while trying to put me spikes back on after rashly taking htem off in the slop - had to chop steps all the way back to the top to reclaim them :)