[TR] Mt. Baker - Easton Glacier 6/27/2009

dinomyte

Trip: Mt. Baker - Easton Glacier

Date: 6/27/2009

Trip Report:

Craig33 and I met up to hike this one on Saturday. We took off at about 3am and after a long day, got back to the car at 6:30pm.

Since there is a recent TR, I won't bore you with too many details, but I'll point out a couple of things that the last TR did not mention:

The last running water is along the Railroad Grade near the first set of campsites toward the top of the grade. It's pretty obvious there to your left.

The route currently starts along the west edge of Easton, then zigzags across the middle to the crater, rather than staying along either edge. Though that may have changed by now. A couple bridges looked like they would not last much longer and the new route could be interesting.

The wind was blowing hard as we looked into the crater. My hat blew off and disappeared down there somewhere. If you find it and get it back to me, I'll buy you a beer.

This was quite a long day, especially that last mile of flat land before you get back to the TH. But the cold beer in the car was nice. :brew:

This might not be the best place to wear brand new boots. :lmao:

Final note - buy and display a NW Forest Pass.

Anyway, those are my thoughts.

I may post a few pics later. Or, you can do that Craig!

Gear Notes:

'pons, rope, helmets that we left in our packs.

Approach Notes:

6.5 hours from Portland, thanks to rush hour in Seattle.

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It was a good trip weather was great until you got to the top really windy.

New boots not suggested lol :mad:

over all it was a good trip long day thanks to me i think i was a little out of shape.

ill post pics tonight if i have any good ones

We passed you around 2:30pm as we were heading up trying to beat the weather. Made it back to camp around 8pm. A couple of other teams ended up following us up also trying get in before the rain came. Weather ended up hitting camp around 10pm.

Glad to see you made it down safely after a long slog.

Glad to hear you folks made it up and back alright. Sounds like you made pretty good time.

I figured up would be alright, though things were getting a tad soft, it was the "back" I was concerned about with you folks heading up late. A crack or two had widened over the day!