Unicorn Peak beta?

gkdmaths

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Not sure if you've already made the trip -- but the rap anchor is in descent shape. The old tree on the summit block is dead, but it is fairly large and the root system seems intact -- kicked it fairly hard. Placed a second runner at the base...

Was up there about a month ago...

• 2 weeks later...

You might emphasize to your sport partners that the 'rock climbing' on this hike is short, very easy, and uninteresting. At least that was my impression of the uphill lines. Combine with Castle and Pinnacle for a nice x-country outing. The real reason to go is the front row view of the big R.

• 3 weeks later...
You might emphasize to your sport partners that the 'rock climbing' on this hike is short, very easy, and uninteresting. At least that was my impression of the uphill lines. Combine with Castle and Pinnacle for a nice x-country outing. The real reason to go is the front row view of the big R.

RAD

Did you climb the many routes on the horn of the Unicorn?

An ice ax is nice for chop'n steps on the approach, I have climbed the horn in Tevas, The mountainsteers rope up,that could be the smarter move.

The castle can be death choss except for the SE open book route and hard to downclimb

Just some thoughts for the masses

Richard :wave:

RAD

Not quite sure what you mean. I chose a line climber's left of the rap line because it looked harder and more interesting- and we'd humped rock gear up there so by golly I was going to use it. It was still only a few moves of 5.6 or so protected by a couple of nuts. I'd agree that the rap route is probably low 5th class and could be easily soloed by a competent party, though a fall wouldn't be pretty.

RAD

Not quite sure what you mean. I chose a line climber's left of the rap line because it looked harder and more interesting- and we'd humped rock gear up there so by golly I was going to use it. It was still only a few moves of 5.6 or so protected by a couple of nuts. I'd agree that the rap route is probably low 5th class and could be easily soloed by a competent party, though a fall wouldn't be pretty.

Sorry Rad I must have misunderstood you I thought you did it without gear, I did it years ago and Becky’s guide book has unicorn listed as 3rd class or the harder routes as 4th class, I did it in Tevas as at the time I was doing most scrambles so I thought it was fun and sporting, I only downclimbed the se route, maybe that’s the rap route that you are referring to, I still have only a 15 year old Becky guide, is there more recent updated beta?

I thought the scramble of the se open book of the castle was much harder and a spooky downclimb.