Car with trunk full of gear stolen

My car was stolen from in front of my apartment in Pullman WA last night. I had a whole lot of gear in the trunk. If you notice any one suspicious trying to sell a bunch of climbing gear, please let me know.

The funny (or sad?) part is that I had left my car in the same outside parking lot for a full two weeks while I was out traveling. I came back Friday night, and it was there. I drove it yesterday, and parked it in front of my apartment at 1 AM, and it was gone today when I checked around 1 pm.

Edited by pup_on_the_mountain

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dude,

total bull shit. Unfortunately I sort of did a clearance of my old stuff a while back so I don't have much extra. However, I could start you off with a harness right away if you need one. Let me know. What's your waist size?

Joe

Edited by pu

They just found my car in Yakima. The Yakima Sheriff spotted it this morning. Apparently, it has been "completely stripped". I'm waiting to talk to the towing folks to get an idea of the damage done. I'm not too hopeful about getting any of the gear back, or even the car to be running again. People in/near Yakima, watch out for sale of gear.

I have comprehensive insurance, as well as renters insurance. Not sure whether I'll be able to convince them about all the things I had in the trunk, and their values. Any one had similar experiences with claims for stolen gear? I do not have the receipts for each and every item. I have the policies with Safeco.

I'm usually good at taking the stuff out of my trunk when I come home. I was just too busy this time with an upcoming trip (for work). Besides, I was thinking just as I have been used to - its Pullman after all!!

Bala,

From the "half-pic" of your car, it looks like it might be a Honda. The gangs in and around the Lower Yakima River Valley (from Prosser to Yakima) just luuuuuuuuuuuv to steal, and either part out or trick up Honda Civics and CRVs. When you get your insurance settlement, you might want to think about getting a vehicle that's "less popular" with a certain element of society...

It was a 2000 Honda Civic Si. I have heard stories about Honda Civic being the most stolen car, especially the Si models - they are supposed to be popular with folks who street-race back in Los Angeles. But in Prosser???

I learned that there is pretty much nothing left of the car - just the frame is what they recovered. Forget about the gear in the trunk, apparently there was no trunk to mention! I loved that car - was hoping to drive it for some years now. It had 120K miles on it, but I had no complaints.

It was a 2000 Honda Civic Si. I have heard stories about Honda Civic being the most stolen car, especially the Si models - they are supposed to be popular with folks who street-race back in Los Angeles. But in Prosser???

Eee-yup! Very popular car around here to lower and put stupid shit on like spoilers/whalebones, hydraulic shocks, "farty-car" mufflers, low-profile tires and rims, thumpin' sound systems, etc. It's the first choice of vehicles among the Hispanic gangbanger set around here.

Talk about completely stripped!! I'll have to hunt for a new/used car now. Teh Suck.

As far as the gear goes, my insurance agency is going to pay me about $5K (70% of the value, as estimated by them). About $2100 is what they are holding back as depreciation value. If I replace my gear within 6 months, I can send them receipts of the new items to claim the depreciation value (potentially all of it). They did not ask for any pictures. Not a bad deal I must say. Its going to be a while before I can buy back all the gear though.

Jeeperz, Bala! I'm surprised they left the glass in it. I guess they can't get much for that, eh?

Yes, with most insurance claims you can get back the depreciated value if you provide receipts for what you actually bought when you replace the stolen stuff. Good deal.

You should take a sabbatical and visit a few stores... or I could do it for you if you're short on time... :grlaf:

That really sucks Bala. My wife is 3rd generation Prosser: Generally it's a good town and is one of the best in the Lower Yakima Valley, but the whole valley is now inundated with gangs. I had a pack stolen (just a pack, no car) in Spokane with all my main crag gear and more--it ended up in a Boise pawn shop. I'd wager your gear will end up in a pawn shop as well. If they're really stupid, it could be one nearby or in Yakima, but more likely it could be a larger town further away (as was my case) like Seattle or Portland.

I'm grateful Bug recently saw some gear being sold in Seattle on craigslist. Even though it had been fenced to a Boise pawnshop 5 years earlier, I immediately recognized it as mine. Presently, I'm still waiting on the wheels of the Boise Police Dep't to keep on rolling--they're in contact with the Boise pawn shop owner (Broadway Pawn on Boise's Broadway St.), who's presently stalling with info on who the seller to him was. I wouldn't have gotten anywhere with the Boise Police without my original crime report and # when I filed my theft in Spokane 5 years ago.

Good luck with everything, Bala. And I'll try to keep my eyes here in Spokane as open as Bug's are.

John Crock has sent my list (of stolen gear) to Paul, the current owner of (the erstwhile?) Hyperspud in Yakima. Paul will share the list with a couple of pawn shops in the Yakima area.

Someone pointed out that stash in Boise to me as well (appeared in Craig's List, right?). Hope you get it back. Thanks for keeping an eye out.

Paul Ekorenrud, owner of Pacific River and Alpine Sports on Yakima Avenue.

He bought out John Crock's inventory and moved the store location.

Paul's a good guy. If he gets wind of your stuff, he'll let you know.

Good on the BPD for finally finding your stuff, Steve! I hope Bala is as lucky.

Someone pointed out that stash in Boise to me as well (appeared in Craig's List, right?). Hope you get it back. Thanks for keeping an eye out.

It's been 5 years, and I didn't know it was in Boise's Broadway Pawn until last month. I don't expect to get any more of my gear back than the small fraction I did, but I'd love to bust the little fucker who stole it. Here's hoping you can get your gear back as consolation for everything you're going through.

Good on the BPD for finally finding your stuff, Steve! I hope Bala is as lucky.

Thanks, sobo. Especially now that his car got jacked and stripped, I hope Bala's luck is much better than mine as far as getting back his gear.