[TR] Shastina - North Face 6/25/2009

danhelmstadter

Trip: Shastina - North Face

Date: 6/25/2009

Trip Report:

I tried to ski this line in winter a couple winters ago, and found nasty ice. It felt really good to ski it in good corn.

2977293360103935217S600x600Q85.jpg

The road to the trailhead was pretty knarly, rocks - sand, ruts, etc... I am surprised my beater made it there and back. The trail to ~ treeline was excellant however. Really cool desertesk ecosyestems. The trail petered out near treeline, and I traversed through easy trees and some moraines/drainages for several miles to the base of the Whitney Glacier. From there - I was nearly at the base of the route. I think I hit it at about the right time, earlier - and the snow would have been harder - tiny suncups which can be shreded and as smooth as corn can have icy shady sides in the early morn. Although cool but pesky orographic clouds rolled in out of clear skys, and played on the north sides of Shastina and Shasta.

This helmut cam video is pretty cool, although my waist belt unbuckled itself a few turns after the steepish roll up high, causeing me to break the flow, and there were a few tiny suncups down low. But all and all, a really great ski. The video lost quality with the youtube upload.

[video:youtube]

Good turns were to be had...

2073655770103935217S600x600Q85.jpg

And a cool hike through dwarf subalpine pines.

2071586760103935217S600x600Q85.jpg

I had a great time - thanks Shastina!

2757971680103935217S600x600Q85.jpg

Edited by danhelmstadter

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm feeling jilted here, where's my fawking shout-out? Amar and I did it from Hidden Valley to get a bonus 3k late in the day. That's a really sweet spot on the rim of Shastina; it almost feels alpine when you can look in mutiple directions at summits of choss and ice.