Boots for Adams?

Bosterson

Hoping to hit Adams for a non-technical route later this summer. What kind of gear is needed? Specifically, what kind of boots? (I figure something decently waterproof for the snow, and then gaiters? Or could you walk up the thing wearing tennis shoes with crampons?)

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

you'd be happier with something stiffer soled...if its mild enough out backing boots suffice just fine...gaiters would make life a little nicer...crampons should you need'm and axe for self arrest/brake on the glissade...or a trekking pole

This is a fun slog, I've done it many, many times. Good hiking boots are a must, you can get by with a good pair of Danners. Gaiters, in my mind, are also a must for keeping comfy while plunge stepping home, but you dont have to. Just remember that gaiters that dont fit are pointless - Outdoor Research or better quality for sure - make sure they fit your boots correctly. I've never once needed crampons on the south route.

Some conveniences would be a pair of trekking poles for the ascent and a pair of waterproof pants - even in late season. You'll like the glissade from the false summit to the lunch counter and waterproof pants will keep you dry.

Dont forget the axe, either.

have fun!