Best breakfast for a long day

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The science behind the paleo diet is bunk. "Everybody should eat what the cavemen ate cause we haven't evolved since then!"

Ya... no. The areas of the human genome undergoing the most rapid evolution are related to diet. You can look that up in science journals.

+1 and even if we hadn't evolved since then, just cause that's how they ate doesn't mean it's healthy. The also lacked basic medical procedures, should we skip those, too?

• 3 months later...

I ate half a flat box of Cinnamon rolls from slaveway and 500mm of coffee before we did SEWS. The sugar and caffeine kicked in as i was still waking up, the karbs and fat kept me going until I ate some more munchies later. Eat everything you can get down and forget the die-yet. If it doesn't make you happy while your eating it then it is psyching you out, not up, for the climbing.

Edited by oldlarry

Yep. Just find out what works for you. I think that just eating a lot is the biggest thing. Plan on moving slow the first hour. You probably didn't sleep much the night before anyway. Breakfast burrito, pizza, big sandwich; just whatever you can digest in the morning, with some fruit and coffee and plenty of water.

IMGP0191_Medium_.JPG

Dan Helmstadter enjoying a breakfast of Lays Classic Potato Chips and cheese at a bivy on Stuart.

Before long days on ice i eat my patented breakfast of 3 huge pieces of french toast on challah bread with a big piece of muenster draped over each and melted, then sprinkled liberally with a sugar/cinnamon blend.

For warmer days I'll go for a big bagel with cheese/meat and lots of veggies.

I always make it a point to try and superhydrate at breakfast (I actually start the night before) so I can get by with a little less water - I usually carry 1-1.5 liters for all but the longest/hottest days.

This whole food science/performance nutrition thing doesn't really click with me. I eat when I'm hungry. I drink when I'm thirsty. I eat almost entirely natural food, no preservatives, no soda, no junk food/fast food/HFCS. I pay no attention to portion control or calories consumed - I eat like a beast. So far so good... I'm 26, at 9% body fat, and never been climbing stronger. YMMV.

Before long days on ice i eat my patented breakfast of 3 huge pieces of french toast on challah bread with a big piece of muenster draped over each and melted, then sprinkled liberally with a sugar/cinnamon blend.

For warmer days I'll go for a big bagel with cheese/meat and lots of veggies.

I always make it a point to try and superhydrate at breakfast (I actually start the night before) so I can get by with a little less water - I usually carry 1-1.5 liters for all but the longest/hottest days.

This whole food science/performance nutrition thing doesn't really click with me. I eat when I'm hungry. I drink when I'm thirsty. I eat almost entirely natural food, no preservatives, no soda, no junk food/fast food/HFCS. I pay no attention to portion control or calories consumed - I eat like a beast.

So far so good... I'm 26, at 9% body fat, and never been climbing stronger. YMMV.
WOW! now im depressed! better get training Edited by kukuzka1

• 11 years later...
13 hours ago, merchad said:

Electric bike is a new way for commuting. It is friendly to our live environment. I got one, which really helps me

So glad a bot bumped this thread. ;) It's a good thread.

Recent returned from a winter trip to J-Tree where the temps never got above 45F. I had 8 year old kids in tow, thus food was important for warmth, energy, and morale. In general I'm a big fan of just firing up a hot drink in the AM, for hydration and warmth, and charging ahead for a few hours until I'm hungry, then stopping for brunch/lunch when I actually have an appetite.

For winter camping with kids however, I had a rotating hot breakfast menu of hot drinks followed by one of 3 types of breakfasts:

1) Oatmeal with dried fruits (raisins/apple) and chopped walnuts or almonds.

2) Grits with black pepper and shredded cheese.

3) Wheat farina (aka cream of wheat) with date pieces (or figs) and filbert nuts.

Add butter as needed/desired.

This provided good variety, was fast/easy to prepare with just boiling water (then kill the stove). I could eat this rotating combo indefinitely.

Edited by bargainhunter

Nice thread bump!  I can say that 1.5 lbs of bacon is a bad idea.  It seemed like a good idea when I cooked up 2 lbs for our party of four but then realized only 2 of us were eating meat and one didn’t pull his weight.  Halfway up the skin track on St. Helens I was truly appreciating the meat sweats.

Seriously though, early morning is hard, sometimes I make my oatmeal/grits/cream of wheat as others have said but do I extra soupy.  I can generally drink it down even if I’m not hungry and it’s bonus hydration.  Adding some PB2 peanut butter powder or powdered milk is good too along with nuts/dried fruit.  I do find I need more protein than that pretty soon though and eat some sausage/jerky 30-60 mins later.

Spammer nuked.  I always need coffee in the morning.   After that usually oatmeal....but this thread has me rethinking it.  Peanutbutter does sound good.

What was that meal/thing that people used to talk about on here? I can't remember what is was but I made some and it was pretty good. I'll have see if I can remember.   It was something with honey and peanutbutter?

Also...renamed the forum!

• 1 month later...

Eggs and some kind of protein (sausage or bacon, traditionally) is my personal recommendation, you can do them in breakfast burritos or sandwiches as well to get some carbs (which are good for energy, just be-warn large amounts of carbs tends to lead to weight gain), and if you take the burrito or sandwich route you can easily add peppers, mushrooms, onions, cheese, or whatever else you want, for variety or just because you like them.

Edited by cowolter