Glacier Peak -Whitechuck Access?

PeterfromLFP

I've heard the road's closed, but does anyone have any experience on getting in there? We're thinking about going up Frostbite Ridge and wondering what the approach will be like. Has anyone been in on the Whitechuck River Road lately? Is the best way to use mountain bikes for the 9.3 miles? Is it not too bad of a ride before the hike to high camp? The forest service site says there's lots of windfall logs, but any first-hand knowledge would help.

Thanks for anything you got!

-Peter

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have no first hand knowledge, and this is simply my guess. With that said, I'd imagine you'll find a lot of windfall not only the road but on the trail. I'd expect some washouts on the trail as well. Frostbite Ridge is a great route on that mountain, so if you're willing to risk dealing with trail obstacles, I'd definitely endorse the mountain bike idea so you can come back and give us the beta. ;)

I have no first hand knowledge, and this is simply my guess. With that said, I'd imagine you'll find a lot of windfall not only the road but on the trail. I'd expect some washouts on the trail as well. Frostbite Ridge is a great route on that mountain, so if you're willing to risk dealing with trail obstacles, I'd definitely endorse the mountain bike idea so you can come back and give us the beta. ;)

+1

• 3 weeks later...

I just saw this post. You might already have the answer, but thre is no trail to the PCT from the Whitechuck road anymore. Massive washouts, one after the other - and tons of old growth across what little trail is left.

Not worth taking a bike down the road, at least it wasn't for me last summer (Fire Mtn HR trip). Lots of trees on the road, too, but mostly smaller logs - alder and maple. Except for that huge, huge, huge cedar near the end of the road - it finally gave up the ghost and is laying across the road. You can walk under it though.

You'd have to carry the bike around the first 3 massive washouts - not too bad, but a hassle. The rest - I chose to walk it rather than ride (tried riding earlier last summer, but too much of a hassle)

If ATV's got back there in the last couple of months (in via Prairie Mt back roads to Rat Trap and down), they may have cleaned up the road a bit for biking.

But like I said, there's no trail left. Gone. Vamoose. Nada, zip. OK, I take back the zip. There is some tread here and there. Impressive washout just after Fire Creek - a joy to get around. Funny - that Fire Creek bridge survived, but beyond - looks like armaggeddon.

• 1 month later...

Is there a "best way" to access the White Chuck Glacier?

How far can you drive on the old Whitechuck road?

I understand that there is no trail to the PCT anymore, and it was a good 5 miles down the PCT from the junction to get towards the Disappointment Peak route.

Peter mentions 9.3 miles. Is that the distance from the point at which the road ends to the non-existent TH, making it maybe 20 or so really tough miles?