[TR] Mt. Shasta - H/W ridge 6/23/2009

danhelmstadter

Trip: Mt. Shasta - H/W ridge

Date: 6/23/2009

Trip Report:

I drove down to Shasta the other day after recieveing word from Sky and Amar that the corn is ripe - Thanks!

Hit the trail around 3:30; dawn found me on suncupped snow, I met several other ascending skiiers, and we found increasingly smooth snow as we ascended. There was only one incidence of rockfall, not a close call at all, but it would have prolly been a killer.

2529741300103935217S500x500Q85.jpg

We summited around 9:30, and hung out for a long time on the summit rocks, many avigulch climbers came and went while waited for the snow to soften to perfection. I caught several rude comments about my skiis from jealous climbers as they began their aurdous descent.

Several of the skiiers I had ascended with skiied down around 12, Steve ( a firefighter/ski patrol) and I waited for a little longer. I took some shots of him as he dropped in around 1230 -

2194158630103935217S500x500Q85.jpg

I was soon to follow, and skiied it without stopping down to the sun cups 3k+ below.

I recently borrowed a helmut cam - but the damn thing DIED halfway down (batteries I think) - just as I was opening up on the good corn halfway down the ridge...

[video:youtube]

Tracks - mines are the big ones on lookers right:

2466617460103935217S600x600Q85.jpg

Steve stoked:

2082990500103935217S500x500Q85.jpg

We then made our way down suncups, and good corn off northfaceing morains down to about 7.5k, then a short boot back to the TH.

I would be up on the hill again today if my dog hadn't rolled in a filthy carcass, requireing much washing/cleaning.

Edited by danhelmstadter

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic