[TR] Thompson and Powell Spires, Evolution Range, CA - 6/18/2009

powdherb

Trip: Thompson and Powell Spires, Evolution Range, CA -

Date: 6/18/2009

Trip Report:

This is a crosspost from TGR.

After moving to California almost a year ago and failing to complete anything worthwhile in my life, I decided I wouldn't make the same mistake this time around. Moving to a place with a social scene as lame as Tahoe's has made my physical and mental health skyrocket to a point not seen since grade school.

The last few days have been spent trying to scrounge up someone or something to come on this mission to the Evolution Range and coming up with nothing besides some condoms and pocket lint. Both equally worthless in this context.

I made the ridiculous drive down the US 395 from Tahoe City which is ruthlessly inefficient 9 days a week (reminiscent of a European grocery store). When I arrived in Bishop, I knew I was in for some radness. The White Mountains were absolutely spackled in fresh snow and they remained that way through when I left. They must have gotten several feet of snow.

I drove up to Lake Sabrina and made my up to my camp at 10,500 near some lakes the names of which I can't recall. Maybe donkey. There was a lot of snow still, and I was getting pumped for the next day. I set my alarm for 430 and made my way up to the upper basin with continuous skiing from about 11,000 feet (including a questionable summertime solo lake crossing).

My initial objective was a nice couloir that was nestled back in Powell Spires (actually my initial objective was Mt Darwin, however it seemed quite snowless). However, intense early-morning sun caused a massive series of soft/wet slabs with the fresh snow that resulted in chest-deep post holing. I got about 200 feet up that route and traversed to the more protected aspect and made my way to Thompson-Powell col. I skied approximately 1900 vertical of pure freeride powder to immaculate corn. I jogged the whole way down with my and was on my way back Tahoe by 11:15.

As a side note, I was skiing on the new Praxis Powder Jibs which are very, very rad. It was my first time doing pretty much anything in the Sierras and I had heard about this "Range of Light" bullshit, but srsly the light is really nice. Next time, do want a climbing rack and a much lighter pack. kthanks for listening.

The White Moutainz. They are teh Whitez.

DSC_0025.jpg

I spy some lines.

DSC_0043.jpg

DSC_0066.jpg

Mendel.

DSC_0060.jpg

The Range of Lite.

DSC_0068.jpg

My Zone

DSC_0080.jpg

It's getting nice out...

DSC_0088.jpg

DSC_0089.jpg

Morning.

DSC_0097.jpg

I searched all over for the Thompson Glacier but couldn't find it.

DSC_0110.jpg

The Line.

DSC_0112.jpg

Thompson Powell Col from the Couloir.

DSC_0113.jpg

Looking wNW.

DSC_0117.jpg

That's big.

DSC_0119.jpg

My car is way the shit down there.

DSC_0121.jpg

White Mountains; they're still white.