I prefer to be by myself...

quote:

Originally posted by Dru:

Soloing - You always hike at your own pace...

A tremendous plus for volcano climbs in particular. You can maximize your comfortable pace and stop only when you need to change a coat or fill the blue bag or whatever.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

quote:

Soloing - [...] No cougar bait [...]

as explained to me by a young canadian fellow, a "cougar" is an older woman who chases after younger men. but the way i've seen it used around this board, i'm sensing that perhaps the american definition is different ... or am i just confused??? [Confused]

TG...I can relate. Altho we dont have any mountains around here, I learned while on the OB course last month and backpacking around here that I prefer to be by myself when travelling on foot...even if it takes the extra work. I dont however, mind someone WITH me...someone to meet up with at the end of the day or check in with periodically.

For me its more that I enjoy going into my own world when hiking, not so much personality conflicts, different goals, etc.

Actual climbing is a different story...I do enjoy climbing with other people. As a newbie, I havent been too picky with partners because I feel I can learn from everyone and anyone (even if its learning how NOT to do something). Ya, sometimes I get irritated with minor personality defects...but hey, Ive got plenty of them myself and I expect them to deal with me. [Roll Eyes]

I guess its important if you dont know already WHY you climb and why your partners climb to figure that out. Are you both out to have fun and enjoy being outside? are you both trying to challenge yourselves to the max? Are you going for speed records? If your not in synch with goals, then difficulties will definately arise. Can you comprimise your goals from time to time in order to get out and climb more often with others?

Maybe even consider taking a newbie under your wing...they might be more open to developing your drive, ethics, and goals as they learn from you. [Confused]

Just some thoughts.

-c

On the same note Carolyn I've taken several newbies out only to find them not as fervent about climbing as I had hoped. To them I think it was like a novelty or something. In short they didn't appreciate it to the extent that I love the sport. I admit I am a bit eccentric about climbing but it is just my favorite thing to do. Now I just go with people who seem to have the same drive as I do. Even if they are pretty green at least they'll go balls out for their level. That is what I look for in a partner now.

I hear ya TG. Living where I live makes the pickings slim. Virginia Beach, Virginia does not produce many climbers and those typically are not interested in mountains with snow.

I have had a couple fun partners but they all lacked the motivation I have.

They have all moved west and taken up other interests. You definitely have to have the same general goals and ideals.

I have done a little soloing but it is definitely limiting and more risky. I enjoy the conversations after a day of climbing also. Nothing like talking about the goals reached that day, the adventures along the way and the more grand routes to be attempted.

Just yesterday, I was looking through guide books & magazines. Routes in the Canadain Rockies (Robson), the North East (ice routes for this coming season), AK (Huntington, Deborah and Denali among others) and wondering who in the heck I am going to attempt all these mountains with in the next couple years. All these dream routes and not a clue if I will able to find a partner. A partner with the same drive, ability and goals that is reliable and compatable.

Yeah, a little frustrating to say the least.

I just had a friend and partner decide to take up sailing. Geeze [Frown]

Jedi

Ok have been planiing this trip and you partner bails. I have had amazing success with my soloist. Some of my greatest climbs have been alone. The whole atmosphere changes. Focus is everything. Alan Watts told me "If you can tope rope it you can lead it". I will take it one further. If you can lead it you can solo it. Of course you must practice, so many things can go wrong soloing and they have . I am a better climber because I have ventured with no saftey net. It is not for eveyone, but the people with resolve and a true passion for thier discipline will rise above themselves and conquer the greatest climb of all : Fear

quote:

Originally posted by thelawgoddess:

quote:

Soloing - [...] No cougar bait [...]

as explained to me by a young canadian fellow, a "cougar" is an older woman who chases after younger men. but the way i've seen it used around this board, i'm sensing that perhaps the american definition is different ... or am i just confused???
[Confused]
see thread on cougar bait..... [Wink]

A lot of my climbing has been solo, mostly because it’s so difficult to get all the stars in alignment – a partner with similar interests/abilities/motivations, similar times off, etc. I guess everyone’s had the situation where on Wednesday, you’ve got a party of four lined up for something, and by Friday, everyone’s had to cancel.

Because I don’t get out that much, it really frosts me when a partner bails because he’s ‘just not into it’ or was up too late drinking last night. A few years ago I went on a mild climb with a couple of guys (early spring on Church Mountain.) It was a three hour drive up there, and half an hour up the trail, one of them said, ‘oh, by the way, I have to be back in Seattle for a dinner by five.’ So, we spent about twice as long on the highway as on the trail, and turned around just as things were getting interesting.

OTOH, I find that solo climbing is much harder mentally. It’s really valuable to have a sanity check, someone to verify that this line is safe, or settle you down when you’re weirding yourself out (or, to say, “man, this is nuts! Look at this rockfall!”)

And it seems like on every climb, there’s a point where I start to lose motivation, like towards the end of a long approach, when I’m sick of slogging up a trail, and tired from getting up at 2:00 AM, and having someone else along helps push through the flat spots.

Plus, when you're out there, enjoying a fabulous climb, fabulous scenery, or just having fun, it's more fun to be able to share it.

And, of course, when you’re soloing there’s much less margin for error, and a lot of stuff that it’s just not safe to do alone.

Good comments all (especially your , Bronco). Few of the thought are new to me however. I acctually find humor in my recent bad luck with partner climbs. The boge out factor is the biggest frustration. Here is the score.

I was supposed to climb rock yesterday with some one I haven't climbed with in awhile, she told me Tuesday that she had to make it Friday instead and then told me last night that she had to cancel all together.

Last Sunday a friend boged out the morning of the climb..sore shoulder from volleyball...Whaa. ( soloed anyway; see TR under spray)

2 weeks ago I was climbing with a friend in Montana. She hadn't quite recovered from an ultra-marathon and lost it on the crux, almost passed out, I lowered her off she was white as a goast and puking by the time she got to the ground.

Let's see...wdietz was supposed to climb Mt.wash. with me 3 weeks ago. Couldn't; family obligations. I soloed the standard route anyway.

Just before he left for Yos. willstrickland and I failed on NF of Hood. Slab avy potential & he forgot his helmit. (No fault of Will's he was great to climb with)

A week prior I had to turn back with this woman ( on Hood again) who is in better shape than me and more technically proficient. She got suprise migrains and was dizzy and having trouble seeing.

a month before that wdeitz & will came out for some water ice and 2/3rds of it had melted in a day. We went for it anyway but gave up after one pitch. a huge block almost took out will at the bottom of the climb.

I January after making sure my 2 partners had the same goal ( and I thought the same motivation) in S America they both decided to bail on our agreed upon route and do the standard. That really burned me.

Fortunately, I've climbed enough solo this year to make up for it.

See; it's almost comical.

- cheers [big Drink]

Man, you've got to start looking for that gris-gris voodoo curse someone hid in the bottom of your pack. Probably looks like some greasy bit of snafflehound hair tied up in a bundle with a fine ribbon of horsecock wrapper.

[ 07-12-2002, 03:56 PM: Message edited by: Off White ]