I prefer to be by myself...

while I'm climbing with my friends.

Hey bartender...some crampons, an axe and some fear.

It's not that I don't like partners; I just feel better when they are not around.

Seriously, My experience with partners has been either negative because we don't get along, or they punk out or we fail for other reasons or they are dangerious to themselves or me. My success rates lately are much better solo. But, solo is limiting. I'm frustrated.

Do others have experience or sage advice on this subject.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

TG

if I had sage advice I would take it... I find it difficult to find people to crag with... especaily women. and no, not because I am so offensive, just because it is a challenge to find someone you trust, like, enjoy their company, don't want to kill after three days of dificult going... and then when you do, well I tought my sisterinlaw to climb last season, then she got a boyfriend and hasn't climbed since. I keep trying... never give up [Wink]

sk

[ 07-03-2002, 03:37 PM: Message edited by: sk ]

I dunno TG, for me I find soloing much less interesting than having company. I tend to be pretty easy going, perhaps to a fault, so I've never had any blowups with partners, and I tend to be satisfied with whatever I get. Over the years I've also been pretty selective about who I climb with, particularly in an alpine or long trip setting. I guess thats my way of looking out for the safety and compatibility issues, because you really need a partner who will keep it together and do the right thing if the shit hits the fan. I've had the same primary partner for the last 24 years, but of late he's drifted away from climbing and totally abandonded the alpine game. We tend to do a lot more snowboarding than climbing of late, and I've been getting restless. I've got another friend I get out with on an occasional basis, but he's a much higher caliber climber than I am so I tend to feel a little guilty about not doing my full share, even though he doesn't even seem to notice. Anyway, as I vaguely fumble about looking for new playmates I can only hope to evade your dilemma, or worse yet, being the offending individual in that situation.

[Wazzup] TG

Well I have never had a person I climbed with all time. I have climbed with alot of people actually. The same things you spoke of: ability level, commitment, kind of climbing, or just personality type are all issues that make climbs great adventures or frustrated yelling matches. When I get frustrated I usually just concede to their wishes but just don't go climbing with them again. I do like experiencing climbing with a partner however. That feeling of totally relying on each other and moving like a smooth machine up a climb or sometimes just making it through when shit hits the fan. I have been pretty fanatical about training and trying to push my limits in the last few years. To me this is what makes climbing fun but I have gotten the "I wanna do something easier and just have fun" thing from several people. Climbing is always fun but I love it the most when its balls out. Good luck on finding that partner or becoming the Dean Potter of eastern Oregon.

An oversimplification, but a useful one when looking for a partner:

I've always been a big believer that motivation to achieve the same end is the single most important factor to look for in a partner. Maybe that end is to go out only when convenient for each other and then to climb in a manner that won't push either person to hard. Maybe that motivation is to be able to walk up to any wall and find a free, clean way to ascend it in as little time as possible.

Regardless, if both people are committed to the ideal and value that quality in the other person, the partnership is likely to work out.

Just about everything else stems from motivation or can be taught. Somethings it just takes a really long time to teach - comon sense, for instance.

Once you find a person totally motivated to do the same things that you do, they won't punk out and you guys can fix the things that annoy each other.

The exception is when people agree on the ideal, have the exact same motivation, and that motivation is low. Then inertia takes over. Still, its unlikely that they would piss each other off, they'll be happy sitting around drinking a lot of beer.

matt

Regarding what Tex said, I've had a few primary partners over the ears, had many non-primary partners and have also climbed solo. There is great joy in each. Still, I think the greatest joy is experiencing the smooth efficiency and comfort of an old partnership.

One of my fondest memories was just heading to index with my first climbing partner/mentor years after I had last seen him (he was in town on some business). The simple comfort and assurance felt when going through the old rutals inherent in climbing still make me smile whenever the memore comes to mind.

quote:

Originally posted by Terminal Gravity:

while I'm climbing with my friends.

Hey bartender...some crampons, an axe and some fear.

It's not that I don't like partners; I just feel better when they are not around.

Seriously, My experience with partners has been either negative because we don't get along, or they punk out or we fail for other reasons or they are dangerious to themselves or me. My success rates lately are much better solo. But, solo is limiting. I'm frustrated.

Do others have experience or sage advice on this subject.

Gee I kinda feel the same way about sex. [chubit]

quote:

Originally posted by gapertimmy:

quote:

Originally posted by smutass:

oh get over yourself. partners are for holding rope, not for your enjoyment. yes- i see your problem - maybe you suck ass?
[laf][laf]

arrrrr, me arch nemisis agent orange crazy polish bob wankage is back!

buh bye!

What this BBS needs is an enema. Nah he might like that. Never mind. [Razz]

TG to solo is fun but unless you are Dean or Peter theres a hella lot of stuff out there that is doable but not soloable. So i recommend being mellow and climbing with partners even if they arent as cool as you.

Not all climbers are good partners but there are quite a few climbers i would climb with in preference to a weekend of soloing especially friends that I haven't seen for a while.

quote:

Originally posted by iain:

not to mention the fact that if you so much as break a leg on a more remote route you just might die before anyone figures it out. unless chris bonington is in the area.

Being a partner of Bonington is statistically almost as dangerous as being Joe Simpson. [Eek!]

For a time, I made a habit of completing one large climb alone each year and I found it very satisfying. However, not only was there the obvious difference of having nobody to hold the other end of a rope or to help out in the event of an injury, but the lack of having someone to share decision making and route finding and even just the lack of companionship made things much more serious. Overall, I enjoyed those climbs and I felt that it made me a more self-reliant and confident climber, but there would come a point on most of the more serious climbs when I would find myself questioning whether it was truly a good idea to be there by myself. I've climbed with people who bail out or who come unprepared or have other annoying traits, and there are some people who I don't climb with because it just isn't worth it, but in general I find it more fun to do a challenging climb with a partner. A day hike or scramble? I still find these entertaining as a solo venture sometimes and I consider the added risk to be worth it.

there's also the annoying fallout in the media if you so much as break a nail on something like Mt. Hood. I could imagine the crap you would have to deal with if you fell on reid hw solo, for example, something I consider a reasonable solo climb but you would be absolutely roasted back in PDX for that (if you survived, which is perhaps unlikely [laf] ). Funny how I occasionally catch myself worrying about that stupid stuff when I should be thinking, you're gonna die if you fall, idiot! [laf]

Soloing - you never have to make conversation

You always hike at your own pace

You choose your route, peak and line

No arguments

No one but yourself is responsible for your success

BUT you always have to carry the beer

You always have to cook and wash the pots out

No ropegun

No cougar bait

No one to kick steps for you

No sex

Just like life there are always tradeoffs...