Beacon: Peregrine Status

JosephH

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

clibmed the n side today w/ the irrascible kenny - will be spending all evening in monastic prayer as i contemplate the inevitable poison oak wallowing that finished off to the summit

might should take some pix on my camera - why can't i have a photo-coolie?

Let Zanfel be your friend Ivan (or Walgreens house brand Poison Ivy Wash for less money).....BTW, if you get it real bad, stop by my house and try some of the herbal remedy I have growing in my backyard. I'm serious.

Now about your need for a "Photo Collie", here you go. Only climbs to 5.3 though, but maybe he can learn to aid?

2505486258_8af3eef077.jpg

Hey, doesn't Pink live in CO? Don't let one, well maybe two (too), sprayers ruin it for folks that actually climb at Beacon. Last thing I want to do is chat with a ranger.

i have actually climbed at beacon, just sayin. what's wrong with talking to rangers? unless it's the kinda talk ivan received last fall.

• 4 weeks later...

One safety note - Last year rocks up to the size of footballs were coming down onto the area around the SE Corner start. They did so for the first two weeks after the open and were natural rockfalls from one of two suspected sites high on the wall below the SE Corner ridge. The area the rocks were landing was essentially the entire area around the SE Corner start from when you first come up to the start from the trail. I would strongly recommend folks not socialize or queue up in this area until we know what the situation is this year. Consider hanging out back around by Cruisin' or up by the first tunnel area instead. If you do need to be in the area of the SE Corner start for any length of time consider keeping one of the trees between you and the face. In general, try to be efficient in your SE Corner start and get through the first pitch in a timely fashion to be up and out of range.

One safety note - Last year rocks up to the size of footballs were coming down onto the area around the SE Corner start. They did so for the first two weeks after the open and were natural rockfalls from one of two suspected sites high on the wall below the SE Corner ridge. The area the rocks were landing was essentially the entire area around the SE Corner start from when you first come up to the start from the trail. I would strongly recommend folks not socialize or queue up in this area until we know what the situation is this year. Consider hanging out back around by Cruisin' or up by the first tunnel area instead. If you do need to be in the area of the SE Corner start for any length of time consider keeping one of the trees between you and the face. In general, try to be efficient in your SE Corner start and get through the first pitch in a timely fashion to be up and out of range.

to sum this up..

CLIMB AT YOUR OWN RISK!

kev, this where all my Beacon posts go, get used to it. Been that way for years now.

There appear to be minimal loose rock issues this year and the SE Corner start area looks clean - on the other hand it is Beacon and you should always be careful and cognizant of issues of loose rock and rockfall everywhere out there. Like Kevin says above - it's risky business so take care.

kev, this where all my Beacon posts go, get used to it. Been that way for years now.

JH. I have no problem with posting about Beacon, but did you know that when you drive to Beacon Rock you actually leave the great state of Oregon? You cross the Columbia into Washington State. I am sure you know this. You are smart. I know you are. So….placing a crag into an OR forum that is not in OR shows a kind of ignorance to me…….

Or, are you trying to be tough guy, radical, rebelling climber guy?