Iron Mtn Crag

Maple Syrup

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ah yes, more concerns about access to local stuff... I love this forum!

One thing I know is that the railroad can shut down anything they want if it butts up against their lines. Whether they do or not depends on cooperation with their wishes and respecting their posted signs. I've never climbed at the Iron Mountain Crag because I didn't want to upset the railroad, so I just climbed elsewhere. I can appreciate the use by local climbers because it is in their neighborhood - presumably - and convenient for them if they don't want to drive out to, say, Ozone, or Broughton. But dealing with the RR is a tricky situation. Good luck with this venture and I hope that everything works out.

One other thing to spur conversation: Beacon Rock lies right next to the railroad property out in the Gorge. Assuming that all railroad in this part of the NW is governed by the same head (and I don't know if it is) what effect could the RR letting a tiny sport crag be open have on the access that the RR could give us to real, alpine-like, traditional climbing at beacon, if any? Yeah, yeah, yeah - two entirely different locations, two entirely different access problems governing the two areas, but ONE railroad. Once again, I don't have the answers... I'm just throwing this out there. Anyone care to comment?

Anyone care to comment?

LO crag is fully and 100% owned by the RR right up to the womans backyard on top. It's not an easement, but full ownership of the entire crag and access to the crag. Beacon Rock is 100% within a State Park and happens to adjoin a RR.

I don't even see apples to oranges, I see chainsaw to paper sack.

Anyone care to comment?

LO crag is fully and 100% owned by the RR right up to the womans backyard on top. It's not an easement, but full ownership of the entire crag and access to the crag. Beacon Rock is 100% within a State Park and happens to adjoin a RR.

I don't even see apples to oranges, I see chainsaw to paper sack.

I was just thinking if the railroad wanted to really lean on climbers they could always give one and (try to) take another if it suited them. Not sure why they would ever want to do that but stranger things have happened in this crazy world we live in, here.

I would actually say hacksaw to notebook paper... :grin:

• 3 weeks later...

Here are some comments from our local Access Fund Rep, Tony.

His e-mail is: nwwilderness@aol.com if you have further questions.

Tony said...

Hey Greg!

Tony here (Access Fund guy).

We are working on opening up communication with "the power that be".

Access can be restored 9 times out of 10 when communication is present. The best thing we as climbers can do is respect the no trespass request for the time being. It will speak volumes for the climbing community as a respnsible and therefore viable recreation group.

Thanks for your help on this issue...I'll be in touch!

March 3, 2009 4:48 PM

Anonymous said...

So is it still okay to climb here?

May 19, 2009 7:55 PM

Tony said...

No, not at this point in time. We are trying to work with the land managers and also find any possible access route that doesn't cross private property. At this point it is in the best interest of climbers to respect the no trespass and climb elsewhere for the time being. There are numerous examples of relationships between climbers and land managers being made or destroyed based on adherence to no trespass requests earlier on while communications are growing.... On a personal note it sucks!

May 20, 2009 8:36 AM

Anonymous said...

letting people know it's closed for now....to bad though. hope you guys can get it restored

May 29, 2009 7:20 AM

• 2 weeks later...
that is too bad. I wanted to go and check that place out. Guess that will have to wait now.

dont lose sleep over it Will. that place pretty much sucks anyway. 4-6 routes.

I liked it. It may be a shi**y little rat hole, but it was real nice to go there in the spring when the sun first peeked out behind the clouds and it would be dry for an early season after work romp with some buddies. Probably was good for the entire year just going there once or twice. I found it to be both convenient and fun.

My wish is 2 fold. First, I hope climbers respect the signs that say it's private property and not trespass. Next, I hope the access fund can get it open, but I would bet it won't be happening any time soon.

Sadly.

There are other places to climb and boulder real near there if you are local. Just look for them.

:wave:

I'm always looking for local routes. I hit Waterboard park in Oregon City last week. There is potential for some short routes there.

Carver is an option. Madrone still isn't.

I was looking at some 10' boulders down by the Lake Oswego retention damn but access looks dirty and wet. They are under the HWY 43 overpass.

If you've seen other potential routes nearby, plse share them.

Thanks!

• 2 months later...

OK folks...the courts fined me $267 and ordered me to work 50 hours community service. I could pay $10 for each hour but I chose to do work instead. They made me get council as well. $500. I still dont know why they couldn't just have given me the penalty without this guy...

So...someone needs to get the clips off of the wall so as to prevent any other "victim" from attempting to climb here.

OK folks...the courts fined me $267 and ordered me to work 50 hours community service. I could pay $10 for each hour but I chose to do work instead. They made me get council as well. $500. I still dont know why they couldn't just have given me the penalty without this guy...

So...someone needs to get the clips off of the wall so as to prevent any other "victim" from attempting to climb here.

What.. did they actually slap you with a trespassing charge? That's horses%#t!! Sorry to hear about that.

Better to just leave them be, besides, going to pull them would result in a trespassing fine. They might abandon this RR line and then we can get back on it. For now, we should just not walk past the NO trespassing signs.

I don't think that is necessary or a good idea.

I started climbing at this crag in 1995. At that time there weren’t any developed routes. In fact, most of the wall was overgrown, graffitied, and covered with loose rock. I concentrated on the only clean-ish looking route there at the time, what is route number 9 in P.R.C. 3rd Ed. There were some old, crude hangers on this route made of sheetmetal, affixed to the rock with masonry nails (probably an aid line). Most of these hangers pulled out of the rock face with my bodyweight when I was cleaning this route. I installed the anchor that is now at the top of this route but decided to leave it unbolted as it took protection well enough (albeit probably R rated). My partner and I decided on the name of Phaser Express because of what appeared to us to be the outline of a phaser gun in one of the indentation at the beginning of the route. The more recent route development that has happened to the left of Phaser Express is impressive and must have taken a tremendous amount of prying and pruning. It was during this new phase of route development that Phaser Express was bolted.

Chad Ellars

• 3 weeks later...

Does anyone know "tymebldr"? No offense, but your posts seem suspect.

"clips"? Are you even a climber?

the court "made" you hire counsel? Courts don't "make" people hire attorneys. You are free to represent yourself.

What was the charge? Who was your attorney? Did you plead guilty? To what? If not, was there a trial? Who else was ticketed, charged with you? You weren't climbing alone when you were ticketed at the time I assume? Who was your judge?

I smell a rat.

Edited by pdk

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone know "tymebldr"? No offense, but your posts seem suspect.

"clips"? Are you even a climber?

the court "made" you hire counsel? Courts don't "make" people hire attorneys. You are free to represent yourself.

What was the charge? Who was your attorney? Did you plead guilty? To what? If not, was there a trial? Who else was ticketed, charged with you? You weren't climbing alone when you were ticketed at the time I assume? Who was your judge?

I smell a rat.

Su-weet!!! Conspiracy bullshit on cc.com - expose everyone!