[TR] Thompson Peak - Trinity Alps - Canyon Creek Lakes 6/18/2009

off_the_hook

Trip: Thompson Peak - Trinity Alps - Canyon Creek Lakes

Date: 6/18/2009

Trip Report:

I climbed Thompson Peak in the Trinity Alps via the Canyon Creek trailhead in 9:42, starting at 6:20 am and finishing at 4:02 pm. The climb involved 16 miles of trail and nearly an equal amount cross country travel, entailing bushwhacking, routefinding, scrambling, and snow. I found spectacular mountain scenery and a true wilderness feeling beyond Canyon Creek Lakes where there is virtually no evidence of human impact.

trinityalps0001.JPG

Upper Canyon Creek Lake

trinityalps0003.JPG

Panorama from Thompson Peak

Topping out at just over 9,000 feet, Thompson Peak is the highest point in the Trinity Alps, which is a rugged section of the Klamath Mountain Range in northwestern California. The peak is at the headwaters of the most rugged drainage in the Trinity Alps, the Canyon Creek drainage, where several peaks rise above 8,800 feet. Due to the geographical location of these mountains, they contain elements of the Cascades to the north and Sierras to the south. Their height is not impressive when compared with the Sierras, but their higher latitude and proximity to the Pacific Ocean allow for significant winter snow accumulation and the existence of a few small glaciers.

trinityalps0005.JPG

trinityalps0002.JPG

trinityalps0006.JPG

Trailhead elevation is around 3,000 feet and the first few miles are very runnable terrain. After the junction with Boulder Creek lakes at mile 7, the trail becomes rougher and ascends to picturesque Lower Canyon Creek Lake at 5,600 feet. Traveling through the lakes is circuitous and involves needless elevation gain to get around granite walls that come right down to the lake shores. Past Upper Canyon Creek Lake is a gorgeous meadow. From here, it took me awhile to find a route through cliff ledges to the next cirque to avoid brush. Once above the first headwall, travel became easier through more meadows and then a talus/scree ascent up the second headwall. One more meadowy area was followed by a third ascent into the highest snow-covered cirque at the head of the drainage. From here, I put crampons on my trail running shoes and headed up the snow slopes to the ridgeline between the Wedding Cake and Thompson Peak. The climb from the ridge to the summit of Mount Thompson is a slog through steep dirt and loose scree and then a class three scramble. The actual summit block is a bouldering problem and the easiest route I found was class 4. I reached the summit 4:52 after beginning and rested for 22 minutes enjoying the views. There were no fewer than four USGS markers on the summit pinnacle. I generally retraced my route on the return trip with a couple areas of better routefinding and a couple areas of worse that on balance saved a few minutes. The return trip took 4:28 including waterfall side trips and an ice bath in Upper Canyon Creek Lake!

trinityalps0007.JPG

trinityalps0009.JPG

trinityalps0010.JPG

trinityalps0038.JPG

trinityalps0013.JPG

Final cirque still snowcovered.

trinityalps0011.JPG

Granite everywhere!!

trinityalps0020.JPG

trinityalps0016.JPG

Sawtooth Peak

trinityalps0015.JPG

A look down at Canyon Creek Lakes from the summit

trinityalps0022.JPG

Mount Hilton (middle) and the Wedding Cake (bottom left)

trinityalps0018.JPG

Grizzly Lake

trinityalps0019.JPG

Summit block

trinityalps0024.JPG

trinityalps0029.JPG

trinityalps0025.JPG

Thompson Peak, the route goes up to a notch in the ridgeline to the left of Thompson and ascends the backside.

trinityalps0028.JPG

trinityalps0031.JPG

Gorgeous meadows

trinityalps0030.JPG

trinityalps0032.JPG

Outlet into Upper Canyon Creek Lake

trinityalps0033.JPG

trinityalps0034.JPG

trinityalps0035.JPG

trinityalps0036.JPG

Waterfalls galore on Canyon Creek.

trinityalps0037.JPG

trinityalps0040.JPG

trinityalps0041.JPG

Gear Notes:

Ice axe and crampons (needed crampons for running shoes, otherwise probably not necessary), La Sportiva Fireblades, Ultimate Direction Wasp Pack

Approach Notes:

The Canyon Creek Lakes Trail is in excellent condition with no trees down and straightforward stream crossings on logs. No snow remains at Canyon Creek Lakes and the snow level is actually about 7,000 feet and melting fast.

Edited by off_the_hook

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What a gorgeous place that is! Reminds me of a couple of fine solo explorations from my youth. Took a short nap on a flat summit block one balmy morning.

Despite being fairly close to the Bay Area throngs, the Trinities seem to get overlooked in the shadow of that craggy range to the southeast. Glad to hear the wilderness flavor is intact.