Which one of these ropes should I buy?

Maple Syrup

I am about to buy my first rope, will use for top ropping this summer, maybe a bit of alpine, and if I can find the money to build a rack I'll probably start doing some trad, but my emphasis at the moment is top ropping. If you know of another rope that's less than $140 that would work too.

These are all 60m

Beal Edlinger II 10.2mm $119

Weight: 65g/meter

Impact Force: 8 kN

Number of UIAA falls held: 8

Mammut Promo Rope 10mm $139

Weight 66g / M

Impact Force 9.2k

UIAA Falls 6

New England Apex 10.5mm $125

Weight 70g/M

Impact force 9.4 kilonewtons

UIAA falls 5

Edelweiss Axis 10.3mm $130

Weight 71 g/m

Impact Force 8.5 kN

UIAA Falls 10

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

i'd save the dough and grab the Beal...especially if it's prime function is top-rope duty and you're looking to build a rack...i have the 70m version and it's a good rope...not as limber as my Mammuts or Petzls but those were pushing double the cost...that and 65g/m beats 70g/m for alpine use...just make sure its got the dry cover

I bought a Petzl last year and it sucks. I've had two Beal ropes and they have both been great. I'm buying another rope this summer ad it'll be a Beal!

petzl ropes suck. I liv my beal. I've a few buddies with petzls, they fray after a year of use.

hmmm...i love my Dragonfly's?? but they see ice or glacier travel

yeah I went for the dry cover. there is also a goldendry option or something which has a dry core as well, but I decided to spend the extra money on some BD stoppers instead.

then all i have to get are some hexes, a few tricams, oh yeah then some cams, and that should be it, except for a second ice tool, some screws and pickets...

hmmm I bet I could save a lot of rent money if I lived in my car. But where would I store all the gear?

The Edelweiss Axis is a great work horse rope. Heavier than hell, but tough. Good "top rope" rope; can take a beating. Nice hand after it's broke in. That would be my choice, I have one.
I have one too. Everything you said = :tup::tup: